• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Black and White
Rocket Jockeys
Star Trek Elite Force and Elite Force 2
Anything of Monoliths not already on the store - Condemned included
The Movies
Drakan Order of the Flame
Crimson Skies
Nocturne
Heavy Metal FAKK2
American McGees Alice
Trespasser
Stubbs The Zombie
Typing of the Dead
Quarantine and The Road Warrior
The Max Payne games
The LOTR - Battle for Middle Earth
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
One Must Fall 2097

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I would pay $50 right now for a digital copy of Maximum Pool that works out of the gate for modern operating systems and computers. Make it so, GOG.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No One Lives Forever 1/2 are the ones I never expect to see re-released. It's all well and good to see cryptic Twitter posts and photos of old promo posters Night Dive had printed in anticipation of legal agreements that never materialized, but given the rights history of those games I won't believe anything is brewing until I see an official announcement.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Cryo's Dune and Conspiracy/KGB. They're unusual and fascinating old school adventure games, and the latter has the novelty of being an early title with a big name actor (FMV Donald Sutherland provides hints to you on the CD version.)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've been wanting Black and White on digital FOREVER.

I don't know why it isn't. I don't think Microsoft has anything to do with it? It was published by EA.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's considered a classic, but Midtown Madness. My PC at the time couldn't run it and I doubt it would be easy to install in a modern system today.

Mm1_boxshot.jpg

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loads of Star Trek games, but especially the Armada and Elite Forces games.

Sadly the original licensing expired by Activision being dicks and trying to sue CBS, so I doubt they'll ever get relicensed.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Loads of Star Trek games, but especially the Armada and Elite Forces games.

Sadly the original licensing expired by Activision being dicks and trying to sue CBS, so I doubt they'll ever get relicensed.

I would love to see the rights to the Activision Star Trek games somehow worked out and get official digital versions of Bridge Commander, the Armada games, the Elite Force games, etc but sadly I think it's a pipe dream.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Tons of Amiga games. They'd be as usable and playable as any dosbox game with the WinUAE emulator, I have no idea why gog haven't tapped into that source.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I keep hoping GOG will branch into early microcomputers but nope. I would spend SO MUCH MONEY building a C=64 and Amiga collection!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Japanese ports from the 90s-00s. They are so forgotten people often don't even realize they were on PC half the time. Sega had been porting first party games from the Saturn, Capcom released Resident Evil 1-3, Konami ported some Metal Gear and Silent Hill titles.

Outside of that I'd love Blade Runner. It's the main PC game I'm still needing to hold onto that physical copy.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Wouldn't EA own the IP though? I mean that's how it is for most studios, they don't own their IP's the publisher usually does, especially back in those days.

It is typically the case that the publisher (i.e. sole/chief financier) owns the IP and/or game itself, but Black & White was wholly a Lionhead property back in the day, which, by extension, makes it a Microsoft property today:

blackandwhitcopyrightn4kdq.jpg

That said, publishing contracts can add a wrinkle to things (e.g. EA still publishes Kingdoms of Amalur despite Nordic purchasing the IP last September), but as the B&W games were released almost two decades ago, the odds of this being an issue are slim at worst.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
There's a whole bunch of those turn of the millennium era Star Trek games Activision published that have never seen the light of day.

Yeah dude. Star Trek Armada 1 and 2. Elite Force 1 and 2. And theres this really solid 3rd person action game, Deep Space Nine - The Fallen. Like, a proper good action game, state of the art unreal engine implementation back in the day, benchmark type of stuff. Its like a 15-18 hour game, three full lenght campaigns for each of its three characters.

Well received game sporting an 80 score on mobygames https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/star-trek-deep-space-nine-the-fallen

Eurogamer gave it a 90 and said: "Playing through the game once is a pleasure in itself, but having the added bonus of two more characters to complete the game with gives astounding value for money. A solid storyline backed by hauntingly good graphics and sound, with entertaining combat and weaponry make this a hard game to put down. "

A nice hidden gem

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
On top of the Activision Star Trek games, I'd love to see Birth of the Federation back.
Even with the discs though I think a lot of the Activision games are difficult to get running on Windows 10, but they're too modern for DOSBox.

Along with Starship Creator 1 and 2.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
R6: Rogue Spear and expansions and R6: Raven Shield as well
Still missing Ghost Recon's expansions even though Steam has them
Most of Microsoft's older classics especially Mechwarrior series and Freelancer

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Myth at least 1&2 can take or leave 3.
Sid Meier's SimGolf

I have physical for them, but would be nice to have them digitally as well in case something happens to the discs.

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Wouldn't EA own the IP though? I mean that's how it is for most studios, they don't own their IP's the publisher usually does, especially back in those days.

Microsoft has the IP via Lionhead, EA has the actual game/software. Microsoft doesn't want to put their games on GOG (clearly), so we are at a dead-end if it's even possible to get both Microsoft and EA to work together to get B&W out there.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
GOG has been active for a while now and it is without a doubt one of the most important platforms that has revived a lot of classics and made them available both to old and new players who never got a chance to experience classic PC games before. The fact that they managed to get Warcraft 1+2 and DIablo 1 were just amazing and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Since they've been at it for a while, what classics are they still missing and what publisher still refuses to put their legacy titles on the service? Looking at the wishlist, it seems some of the missing titles:

Command & Conquer series : Lots of other EA classics are on GOG (Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital), yet none of the C&C games are there. I wonder why EA never bothered seeing how the Ultimate Collection is on Origin
Black & White: One of the most requested strategy games, yet it's unavailable and Lionhead is no more. I could imagine Microsoft has something to do with this.
Blade Runner: I actually don't know why Westwood or EA haven't released this. I assume it is problems with the IP rights between the Dick estate, Ridley Scott, Fox, and EA.
Mechwarrior and Mechcommander: The most popular series that isn't available. Like Black & White, Microsoft is the owner of the IP and the games, so I imagine this is why.
Freelancer: Microsoft again. No idea why.
No One Lives Forever: Legal troubles between Warner and Fox made it impossible for Night Dive Studios to resurrect these classic games. Absolutely devastating.
Aliens Versus Predator 2: Like NOLF, this was also made by Monolith, yet it is nowhere to be seen. The previous AvP by Rebellion is on GOG.
Neverhood: Not sure why this isn't available.
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4: These classic horror games got PC versions but Konami haven't bothered with putting them on digital distribution.
Age of Empires: On Steam, but not on GOG. Microsoft again.
Dune series: Westwood again, but I could imagine the Frank Herbert estate is making things complicated for EA.
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 1+2: Warner now holds the LOTR license and therefore EA is not allowed to sell these anymore, I assume.

Any other games that are sorely missing? I apologize for not including ones that I have grossly overlooked

Mechwarrior has a very complicated licensing issue, its not just MS involved in this process.

I would love to see the early NFS games on GOG.

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Mechwarrior has a very complicated licensing issue, its not just MS involved in this process.

I would love to see the early NFS games on GOG.

Incorrect. I looked into it yesterday and it's pretty much Microsoft being in charge of the series since Mechwarrior and Mechcommander from 1998. This means that Microsoft holds the rights and the software of all of the following titles: Mechcommander 1, Mechcommander Gold, Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 3: Pirate's Moon, Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance, Mechcommander 2, Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. Yet none of these games are anywhere to be seen.

The only conundrum is Mechwarrior 1 and Mechwarrior 2 being developed by Activision, so this means that you would have to adjudicate between Microsoft and Activision in order to see a digital release of those games.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Tons of Amiga games. They'd be as usable and playable as any dosbox game with the WinUAE emulator, I have no idea why gog haven't tapped into that source.

I feel like there's an entire generation of perfectly good games that have been forgotten there. Apparently Amiga licensing is a mess, with the rights owned by three different companies.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can download updated versions of NOLF1-2 on some fan website.

The idea was to force the IP holder to finally identify themselves but none have so yeah free updated NOLF.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Would rather not see Neverhood on any purchaseable platform if it means Damn TenNipples never makes money off of it ever again