• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the original The Sims should've been on GOG by now. The Sims 2 too, actually, but at least you can get that one on Origin if you ask nicely (or send a picture of the boxed version along with the serial code for proof) on their customer support.

They apparently don't do this anymore which is really fucking frustrating! The Sims 2 is one of my favorite games and I have no way to play it.

Another big one for me is Sid Meier's SimGolf. Pumped so many relaxing hours into that game.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
GOG probably just worried people will uninstall Myth II and wipe out their hard drives. To be fair, they handled that issue in an excellent fashion.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
GOG probably just worried people will uninstall Myth II and wipe out their hard drives. To be fair, they handled that issue in an excellent fashion.

Why would anyone want to un-install Myth II?

Seriously though, they're is still fan patches for the game and a fan server to play online. Its great.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
They apparently don't do this anymore which is really fucking frustrating! The Sims 2 is one of my favorite games and I have no way to play it.

Another big one for me is Sid Meier's SimGolf. Pumped so many relaxing hours into that game.

Not even if you show them a physical copy? Because if so that really sucks, I can understand not wanting to give out copies to people for free without them previously owning the game, but if you do own it I see no reason why they couldn't just give you the digital copy. And that's not even mentioning the fact that they could just sell it in the store but don't for whatever reason.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect. I looked into it yesterday and it's pretty much Microsoft being in charge of the series since Mechwarrior and Mechcommander from 1998. This means that Microsoft holds the rights and the software of all of the following titles: Mechcommander 1, Mechcommander Gold, Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 3: Pirate's Moon, Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance, Mechcommander 2, Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. Yet none of these games are anywhere to be seen.

The only conundrum is Mechwarrior 1 and Mechwarrior 2 being developed by Activision, so this means that you would have to adjudicate between Microsoft and Activision in order to see a digital release of those games.

i was referring to 1/2

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Captain Claw
46c8c6fc5c51d363395634b82dfe61c3.jpg

Last I recall, a subsidiary of WB owns the rights to the game?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It is typically the case that the publisher (i.e. sole/chief financier) owns the IP and/or game itself, but Black & White was wholly a Lionhead property back in the day, which, by extension, makes it a Microsoft property today:

blackandwhitcopyrightn4kdq.jpg

That said, publishing contracts can add a wrinkle to things (e.g. EA still publishes Kingdoms of Amalur despite Nordic purchasing the IP last September), but as the B&W games were released almost two decades ago, the odds of this being an issue are slim at worst.

Microsoft has the IP via Lionhead, EA has the actual game/software. Microsoft doesn't want to put their games on GOG (clearly), so we are at a dead-end if it's even possible to get both Microsoft and EA to work together to get B&W out there.

I see, hopefully they eventually work something out then. Microsoft recently partnered with GoG too, in regards to official support of the gog galaxy 2.0 launcher.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if mentioned, but I would love to see Republic The Revolution and Tge Movies on GoG.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
OP mentioned Blade Runner, that was the first one that came to my mind. I loved that game so much, I played it when it came out and before I had even seen the film, but it made me a huge fan. The game put seeing the film at the top of my list and I love them both.

I still have my old discs and I've been thinking about trying it out again with ScummVM, but it absolutely deserves to be on GOG.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Sims 1 (and 2).
I never played the original and would love some easy way to do so. Sims 2 also deserves to be sold again.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm annoyed when they have a game but not the version I prefer to play.

King's Quest V is an example. They only offer the voiced CD version and not the original floppy version. That's one reason I just bought a CIB copy of the floppy version on eBay.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Black and White
Rocket Jockeys
Star Trek Elite Force and Elite Force 2
Anything of Monoliths not already on the store - Condemned included
The Movies
Drakan Order of the Flame
Crimson Skies
Nocturne
Heavy Metal FAKK2
American McGees Alice
Trespasser
Stubbs The Zombie
Typing of the Dead
Quarantine and The Road Warrior
The Max Payne games
The LOTR - Battle for Middle Earth
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
One Must Fall 2097

I believe OMF 2097 has been officially classified as freeware.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'd really like the mass effect trilogy to come to GoG... Particularly ME3 being unshackled from Origin would be nice..

Not super old but still would be nice

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ this thread is pure nostalgia overload. Dark Earth. Haven't thought about that game in years.

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason for no command and conquer is because on origin there is a collection of all the games

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I think the reason for no command and conquer is because on origin there is a collection of all the games

Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Syndicate, and many others are also on Origin, yet they are available on GOG. What would make C&C different that it would be store-exclusive to Origin?

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The Fool's Errand et al. are alright, but so full of tedious busywork kind of puzzles. The game I really want on the service is Scott Kim's Heaven and Earth, after twenty years still the finest puzzle game this side of Snakebird. Also features an interesting if obtuse card game and a meditative pendulum, and a compilation of every gametype and inspirational quotes in what it calls The Pilgrimage.

Looks like Kotaku Australia wrote a little article about it semi recently. https://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/heaven-earth-the-bob-ross-of-video-games/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Perhaps more annoyingly, B&W is all Microsoft. See also: The Movies.

Hmmm, I guess this pretty much confirms it, right? Microsoft simply does not care about its legacy titles and it's only by the will of other developers willing to go the length to excavate their classic IPs - see what Skybox Labs had to do with Age of Empires 2. And now that game spawned multiple remasters of AoE, a fully fledged sequel by Relic, and a dedicated Age of Empires studio.

Yet Microsoft simply sits on their IP as if everybody at this huge company have no clue about the IPs they vacuumed up in the late 90's and then threw in the graveyard never to be seen again. Freelancer, Mechwarrior, Black & White, and so on?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Darkseed and a bunch of Star Trek games would be top of my list. They put out a few Trek games and then just...stopped. Where's Bridge Commander?

mzaiat

Sep 13, 2018
BLACK DAHLIA, the swan song from the FMV point & click era in 8 discs (plus Dennis Hopper). NighDive needs to do a remaster, it's almost unplayable on modern systems.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The Legacy of Kain games.

All except Blood Omen are already there.

Also there already

My wishlist:
Blood Omen: legacy of Kain
Nolf1&2
Captain Claw
Freelancer
Discworld noir
All the Warlords games
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (because Ubi sure doesn't seem interested in fixing it)
Condemned 1+2
Oni

Come on, NightDive and GOG, get to work! My wallet is waiting for a chance to give you money!

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All except Blood Omen are already there.

Also there already

My wishlist:
Blood Omen: legacy of Kain
Nolf1&2
Captain Claw
Freelancer
Discworld noir
All the Warlords games
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (because Ubi sure doesn't seem interested in fixing it)
Condemned 1+2
Oni

Come on, NightDive and GOG, get to work! My wallet is waiting for a chance to give you money!
WTF they are?

HOLY SHIT how the hell i missed this?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
RE1-3 deserve some kind of digital release on a modern platform, Imo. All three are fantastic games still, and the REmakes, while fantastic, are radically different games from the original trilogy. The PC ports are also difficult to find and have some issues on modern operating systems as well from what I understand, so some fixing up could be in order as well. It would just be great to me to see these classics acknowledged and released one last time, and on a platform where they will hopefully be available for years to come.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Black & White 1 and 2 with their respective expansions. There aren't any other games like them, and they're quite hard to acquire/make work properly nowadays.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
Powerslave, preferably a port of the Saturn version over a modern engine. Not interested in the original PC version...