• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty soon I will be paying approx. 35% of my net pay on an apartment (plus utilities) I will live in only 5 days a week. I will also be paying half the utilities on the house the rest of my family will be living in.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
starting out your rent/living will be at least 1/3rd of your income (living in the bay area adds another layer to that). no big deal

goal is to drive that percentage down some 10-15 years from now but YMMV based on situation/living preferences. i was cool with living in crappy studio apartments til my mid 30s and then bought a home, but very few people could've suffered through that

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Close to moving to a new place that's about 14% of my gross income. Try to keep it low because I freelance and there are dry spells where savings are really important.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Gross: 15%
Net: 22%ish

These include utilities; I share a 2.5 bedroom place with my GF that we split 50/50. I never want to move, it's an older house but we have in-unit washer/dryer, a driveway with a garage, two decks, appliances in decent shape, and we live on a bike-path that leads to the subway in about a 15 minute walk/5 minute bike ride. For $2100/month in the Boston area it's a steal

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Way too much.

The goal is to move from NJ to NC and be able to buy a house for about 700 bucks less a month than we spend to rent a 1BR apartment in Central NJ.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
About 20%. I have two roommmates in an apartment and I live in a pretty small city. Only make ~$30k a year before taxes.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If I was to pay for this apartment by myself it would be about 32% of my check each month. Fortunately, I have a gf and we live together. With our income combined it's about 13% per month. Cost of living here isn't bad at all, but I don't make much hourly and my gf is a school teacher, so we don't rake in the big bucks. However, we live in a good part of town. I'm sure we could find something cheaper.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
When I first moved out, rent was 24% of my gross salary. My current mortgage is only 17%. Against net salary, my mortgage is about 26%.

I need to go through and re-budget to see what it all is with utilities, gas, and groceries included, but some really rough estimates seem to bump it all up to about 45% of my net salary.

Edit: Christ. I completely forgot about a car payment and student loans. Bump that up closer to 50%, I guess. I really should re-do my budget.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
27 % of gross income. Living in Singapore though so rent is the main expenditure (no car and daily food is not so expensive). The idea of buying here is really off-putting when you see the sales prices for similar apartments. Even if I know I'm essentially flushing down my money.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When I was renting a 1 bed in Santa Monica for 3 years, less than 2% tbh

But I'm out in NJ and it's probably lower than that now.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
1/3 and that's a pretty neat deal here. 10% is a joke especially for cities like SF. Oo

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
30% is say. More when I factor in home improvement loan for upgrades at the house. Luckily no car or student debt. For the moment

MaxDOL

Oct 31, 2017
0% Living with my parents.
The perk of being Asian.
Make it possible for me to invest 80% of my income.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
All of my bills, including little things like Netflix, car & insurance, is 31.5% of my net.

It's not expensive to live in my city, I just sock away 11.5% of my check pre-tax into retirement now.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Out of interest why would you ever care what the figure is gross of tax?! Seems like a pointless calculation to me.

When I lived in London a couple of years ago it was about 3rd. Since moving to another city it's 9% apparently and I earn way less.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Copenhagen and I pay 58% of my income. The prices here are insane, especially if you have a dog. If I did not have a dog, I would get a similar apartment for around 44% of my income.