• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Purely of rent it's 20.66% of net paycheck (not counting other sources of income)
bills (electricity, heating, water, waste, etc) are about another 5.13%
internet fiber is about another 2.56%

Groceries and other necessary subscriptions (phone) excluded because they're not really tied to having a house.

Location is Italy

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
20%, just mortgage. Though we're planning on paying off as much extra (10% of original mortgage per year) as we're allowed in our contract this year and maybe next year, so I hope that figure drops a little.

20% mortgage
4,8% utilities (gas/light/water)
6,2% student debt
34% shared bank account for groceries, insurance, internet, subscriptions, dining out etc

Leaves roughly 33% for saving and fun stuff.

Last edited:

onkelsander

Oct 29, 2017
Purely on rent = 0%... Own my own house and an apartment(which I am currently renting out)... No mortgage either, all paid for.... Not bad at the tender age of 39 :-)

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
According to my math, it's only 15%, which is crazy to me, because it feels like it eats up my paycheck every month.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
22% without utilities... 25% with. I hadn't calculated it before... Hm. Location is Puerto Rico, metro area.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
<10%
It's a decent apartment too, we've just been keeping our monthly expenses low and hammering away at student loans.

Does living in SF have to be necessary, or is there a way for you to increase your income over the next couple months/years? Spending 30% of your paycheck on rent is a pretty crap deal...but at least you don't have any huge debts to pay off, so at least that's nice!

Man you either make a shit load of money or live in a cheap area.

10% of your income where I live would mean you make over 7000 dollars a month after taxes for a 1 bedroom apt....

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About 22% right now.

I try to keep it + utilities under 30% as a rule.

I live in Houston, and I'm pretty much downtown.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
About 15% of pre-tax income, about 20% of my take home pay. I live in a small apartment and this probably won't last for long as I'm going to be looking for my first 1br apartment this year.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man you either make a shit load of money or live in a cheap area.

10% of your income where I live would mean you make over 7000 dollars a month after taxes for a 1 bedroom apt....
It's a little bit of both, actually! Though I wouldn't consider it a shitload of money by any means lol I'm working two jobs to get our student loans down atm. When that's all done (or close to being done), then I'll quit one and start putting money away for a down payment.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
My mortgage is probably 20% of my pay, but I put my commissions toward the house as well - goal is to pay it off in about 10-12 years

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Around 25% goes towards my mortgage and condo fee's, but my last mortgage renewal I renewed at a very aggressive 15 year amortization with accelerated bi-weekly payments to get this thing paid off. My next term, I'm going to switch it back to a 25 year mortgage with the smallest payments I can possibly make. The more I think about it there is no point in rushing to pay off my mortgage...I'd rather just have more disposable income freed up for vacations and things I want to do.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
20% for the house all alone. If you add all the bills like elec, gas, water, etc. probably around 35-40%

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
If you include property taxes, then ~12% of gross. Add in utilities, and it's ~17%. Of course, add in daycare and ... let's not talk about it.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Rent is ~$54k/year
Mortgage (Investment Property) is ~$32k/year
My salary is $250k to $300k gross depending on commission/bonuses

So let's assume $250k gross, which nets $155k~

So I spend ~55% of my salary on rent / mortgages. Wow, that's more than I thought.

~47% on a year with good commission/bonuses though and I've been having good years.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
10.5% for JUST the house payment.

We have 3 kids, and two new vehicles, plus my Mustangs payment too. Add in our car payments and things start getting tighter.

Edit** Just car payments, car insurance, and mortgage payment pushes to 30%. Now add in food, gas, groceries, utilities, (our darn wedding we're about to have..lol).

I need a raise.

You make far, far more than like 99% of the people on this forum/in the US, haha.

Not a dig, be proud of the work that got you there :). Pay here is far from what the value of the workers is. The pay sucks, but the cost of living is also low.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45957

30% of my net in Paris. (counting heating, water and building commodities)
You cannot rent for more than 1/3 of your net revenue here so all people I know just try to have the best flat they can get with 1/3 of their revenue.
If I had to buy the flat I live in though, i'd need to earn like 4 times more and get a 30 year loan, it's insane.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
14% gross, 20% net for Mortage/Taxes/Insurance. Feels pretty good now but when we have kids in a few years we'll have to re-assess since we'll be on one income for a while.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
mortgage + prop tax + annual assoc due (1k - covers recycling/road plowing mostly) is around 25% of Gross (dual income). I feel ok with it now, have a baby coming in the summer which will make it a bit tighter!

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
25% for rent, water, electricity, heat, and insurances. I could push this way down if I wouldn't wanted to live in an old stone building with 3.5 Meter height ceilings and massive flair. :D
I live in an inexpensive area.