• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
My rent with family is split three ways, which takes around 30% of my income. This includes electric, but not gas, food, or other bills i pay.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
including other bills like internet, electricity, insurance, phone, etc... pretty much all of it. I spend about $15-25 a week on food, $15 or so a week on gas and that's about it.

Without all that stuff and just rent, probably 60%

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I have my own flat completely paid up so I pay nothing as rent. But I'm looking to sell it and get a bigger one so I might be paying around 10-15% as home loan payment soon-ish.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
With tax and insurance, about 25-30% of Net. But that's for home ownership in SoCal, so not too bad.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Between my wife and I we are at 23% (mortgage + property tax). Probably a hair above 25% if you include utilties

That should be a good ratio but we have no money though cuz we have three children that bleed us dry each month.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was about 57% before tax... More like 64% after tax when I was in school.

Now it's 17% after tax. Feels much better

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Mortgage + property tax + 500 extra to principal monthly = 20% post tax income. Always keep this low so you aren't drowning in obligated expenses.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
For Rent plus Utilities.

My gross pay: about 30%.
My net pay: 38%
My net pay minus RRSP contributions: 44%.

Oct 25, 2017
0% because I live at home, and no one can convince me that this is a bad idea.
Plan on doing it until I can comfortably afford a mortgage of my own, so hopefully just another year.
My family is the best.

Oct 30, 2017
Less than 20%. I'd like to buy a home at some point, but Portland has gotten so expensive and I feel like I missed my window for a good price.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Like 40% now which is high but both pay & rent are low lol. Moving to germany soon and trying to find something at a lesser percentage. 40% is way too high.
Made this post in March and probably going to move into a place that is again like 37% of net. Only 21% of gross though, rip taxes.

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
Whew, i am finally renting in my 30 years of being on this earth, just this month i moved out of my parents house with my Fiance, so these threads are finally relevant for me.

I Spend: 26.5 % of my income on rent if i were to pay it solo.
Splitting it with my fiance evenly it is 13.27 % from my salary, and about 25.81 % of her last months salary, hers differs every month, mine is defined.
Before anyone says stuff, i pay for other stuff for us and i pay other utilities that we share.

This is just for the flat itself and the main utilities, water, electricity, trash. Unlimited fiberoptics 500/500 Mbit is 23 eur per month extra.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our house has been about 20% of our income until the last year when our income changed and it was 8%.

Moving to a new home so it will now be 12.5%

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Right around 50% for me. I pay myself just enough to get by here at the family business, and have been telling myself for years that things are about to get better, even though it never does.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Of net, 17% is going to just the rent. But I'm going to have to move within a matter of months and that percentage is going to change if I want to live somewhere that isn't disgusting. I'm expecting the rent to go up to 33% of net for the maximum. I'm actually really concerned about it and super stressed out about moving.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Not including utilities, I just calculated myself at 28% net in Miami. Gross is 19%. I have to put ridiculous security deposits down though and that is what really makes it tough. I just renewed my lease for the next year and I am out over $8k in security deposits right now while I am waiting to get my security deposit back from last year.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
36%(net)/23%(gross) on rent alone, no utilities or anything.

It's a little steep and sucks because my significant other and I are living in different cities about 2.5 hrs apart so we can't pool resources yet. In a year or two when we can finally move in together our costs are going to drop so much it's not even funny.

We're essentially on par for salary and we'll likely be moving to a cheaper city with additional financial benefits upon relocation, so life is gonna get significantly better for both of us. Excited to watch the savings/investments triple or more to really catch up on missed years in my RRSP and TFSA. Figure I can max out the contribution room within a year or two of cohabitation.

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
Back when I was renting, it was about 16% net. Rented a 3 bedroom unit with 5 people living though.

Edit: small university town

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
20 % of net income,13 % of gross. Then again, I live in Sweden and pay 35 % of my income in tax and get healthcare and more covered that way.