• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
For just rent, out of gross pay: just about 7%

But my SO just moved to SF so if I want to follow, I'll probably have to take a pay cut AND a rent hike

so

butts

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Counting all living expenses, 50% of net. Hoping to decrease that number by increasing the net significantly by the end of year though. Otherwise it's hard to change without getting roommates.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, by month to month, it's about 36% or so? House mates I'm living with have been very generous with the renting situation. It's mostly for just a room, but I also have access to all public parts of the house, so... I'm generally good.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I don't even wanna think about it. Just to give you a general idea:

As rent costs rise dramatically, Berliners are being priced out of their neighborhoods and forced to the city's peripheries. Even Berlin's new rent cap can't stop investment companies from buying up buildings and then raising rents to cover the costs of modernization work. But tenants are joining forces to stand up and protect their communities.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I owned my own home instead of renting and my monthly mortgage is about 26% of my monthly income. I live in Singapore though...just check out home price of it as compared to global cities and get shocked.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gross: 23%

Net: 30%

Living by myself on the Eastside of Lake Washington (Seattle area). I like it well enough but I'm thinking about finding roommates next year so I can take bigger chunks out of my student loans each month.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Not renting an apartment currently, but it was never less than 40% of my net income including utilities. I had to move out of one apartment that wanted to raise rent by several hundreds of dollars, which would have pushed it to more than 60% of my income. Thankfully, I found a super cheap apartment with all utilities included that brought it down to 40% before I left Seattle.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100%... excluding gas and electricity...

My wife makes about as much (as little) as me so we're living paycheck to paycheck.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Gross Pay:

18% if I was living alone. 22% included utilities.

9% / 11% currently with girlfriend paying for half.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I spend about 12% of my gross salary but I share the rent with my partner so that is why my half is so cheap.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mortgage is paid off. So I just pay HoA fees (includes water) + electricty + gas fees + internet. Which is around 600/month. Or about 15% of my income.

Nov 28, 2017
0%, I own my house.
I do pay €7 per month for city property tax.

Where I live, rent can easily be around 40-50% of a person's salary.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My wife and I have always just kept our own accounts (we have a joint one with the credit union as well) and just alternate months. One pays the rent and the other pays utilities. If you factor in our combined income, it's about 16-17% per month of our take home pay. Probably closer to 18% on average when utilities are included. We are pretty lucky actually as our rate hasn't blown up as much as most of the rest of Austin.. we've been in the same apartment the entire time we've been here (2010).

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
About 40% of my net income, not including utilities, but I live in the middle of a city and don't own or pay for extra expenses like a car.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I live in the outskirts of SF and got a deal because my friend's parents are the landlords (I'm not walking distance to anything but a BART station though). I spend 15% of my monthly paycheck total on rent but I'm also supporting my parent's mortgage with my sister as well, so this totals up to 30%.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
45% of my net income I spend on rent and this thread has now made me incredibly sad/jealous looking at what others pay :(

Other expenses are another 25% and the money that's left I basically spend paying back my parents for loaning me money I needed to rent this apartment in the first place, and once that's paid off I can start paying off my student loans!

Basically I'm working fulltime just to live or clear debts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Mortgage - 30%
Utilities - 5%
Loan interest - 15%
Food - 10%
Vehicle - 10%
Misc expenses (insurance, home supplies, etc.) - 5%

That leaves about 25% for discretionary spending...which should mainly go back to paying my credit cards. Got into a fair bit of debt when I bought myself and decided to reno a bunch of stuff on credit. That was a big mistake.

Jazzman

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried when my wife was laid off in December as Mortgage/Utilities/House Insurance was nearly 48% of my Net Pay. Having her back at work though will put that down around 30% which is super manageable.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
I get 2 paychecks a month, 1 goes to the mortgage, 1 is for everything else. At least I'm a home owner 🤔, when the day comes I need a new car I'll be messed up.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
A little less than 35% all said and done with utilities, I also pay for a parking space which is invaluable in NYC so that goes into it as well. It's worth it to live alone

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Gross: 27%
Net: 35%

My rental is a two bedroom apartment that includes utilities. Despite being single, I opted for a two bedroom just so I could have a room dedicated for a media room (movie/games). It's also nice to have for when family or friends spend the night. I like the area my apartment is in too, as it's literally a one minute walk to the bus stop. However, most important is my area has access to Gigabit internet :).

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
right now? close to 100% cuz I got laid off and have been giving freelancing a shot since then. Getting a decent amount of work off the bat but when I take out taxes its still just not enough.

Anyone need some video editing or a videographer in the NY tristate area?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
23% we've lived in the same place for 8.5 years and our rent has gone up a cent. I'm grateful for that, but it's time that we roll the dice and go for something bigger. It's hard because I know we'll never get a deal like this again.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing if someone spends 50% on rent in SF with the remaining 50% they're still rich right lol