• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I just really liked moving around and collecting gems in Gravity Rush. Having stuff to find and collect is what I want.

I've heard about Crackdown and it's orbs as well as games like Infamous/Prototype. Would any of those be a good substitute?.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
For movement, of the three you mentioned, I think Prototype has the best movement system, but the environments can be a little bland. I'd say Infamous have the better and more varied environments to explore.

Just Cause 2 has some pretty crazy movement options. I never played the third game though.

Arkham Knight doesn't have a massive open world, but you get to be Batman in it. Lots of secrets dotted around.

I don't really care for the Assassin's Creed games, but they might work for what you're looking for.

I haven't played Dying Light yet, but I think that has freerunning in an open world urban environment.

Maybe stuff like Burnout Paradise and Skate would be fun too.

I assume you've played Gravity Rush 2.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who really liked Gravity Rush but doesn't usually like open-world games, I enjoyed the PS4 Infamous a lot. Just focus on the main story path & it's a fun 10-15 hours (the sidequests aren't very good).

OP
OP
lupianwolf

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
For movement, of the three you mentioned, I think Prototype has the best movement system, but the environments can be a little bland. I'd say Infamous have the better and more varied environments to explore.

Just Cause 2 has some pretty crazy movement options. I never played the third game though.

Arkham Knight doesn't have a massive open world, but you get to be Batman in it. Lots of secrets dotted around.

I don't really care for the Assassin's Creed games, but they might work for what you're looking for.

I haven't played Dying Light yet, but I think that has freerunning in an open world urban environment.

Maybe stuff like Burnout Paradise and Skate would be fun too.

I assume you've played Gravity Rush 2.

The gem collecting is a big part of why I liked GR. Do any of those games have stuff similar to collect.

I liked the idea of Arkham City, but for some reason I just lost interest in playing it. The stealth and combat just do not appeal to me.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I assume you played Gravity Rush 2? If yes then play InFamous Second Son and First Light.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're looking for Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It has a lot of collectables while you're freely running and doing parkour around.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really. I can't think of another game quite like it. The verticality simply can't be match. There's nothing like running on the bottoms of buildings. But Crackdown is fun, I think the creator of GR was inspired by it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I was about to say Crackdown, that has the big open world with the really satisfying fun movement to get around the world, much like Gravity Rush.

You could also grab Saints Row 4, which is kind of a Hybrid of Crackdown and Prototype.
Sunset overdrive also has great traversal

Beyond Good and Evil has a really well realized and crafted world.

For really true exploration, something like Fallout 4 or Skyrim is great

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Sunset Overdrive! Extremely fun to move around and collect stuff.

Edit: Pro tip: Don't run around and collect stuff until you unlock the air dash ability. And please use all the moving ability ALL THE TIME, or you'll miss the point of the game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Crackdown for the orbs, definitely. And you literally have to climb buildings, not just run up them like Infamous and Prototype, so the sense of exploration and reward is so much more gratifying than any of those games.

Let's hope Crackdown 3 turns out well in the end.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah you'll be all about Crackdown when it comes out because getting those orbs while you jump across the city like a superhero is amazing.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Crackdown has the best feeling collectibles I've ever played. There's enough orbs to where you're always running into them and a really great sense of progression once you reach a high enough level to get ones you couldn't get to previously.

Oct 25, 2017
Collecting the orbs in Crackdown feels so rewarding, you get better with every single orb and the traversal is a lot of fun.
Why the heck isn't this game backward compatible on Xbox One.

The Infamous series and Gravity Rush 1 scratched the same itch for me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the collectables in GR are just a surplus of gems lying all over the place, any collectathon style platformer?
Does it have the be open world? if so maybe Ubisoft's open world formula of stuff everywhere?
Maybe de Blob if you accept less collectables but replace that with painting everything (though traversal/movement is pretty butt cheeks here).

I suppose Infamous had the shards lurking all around its city, but you get constant pot shots from enemies.
Ideally as everyone else has said and you yourself considered, Crackdown.

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Sunset Overdrive! Extremely fun to move around and collect stuff.

Edit: Pro tip: Don't run around and collect stuff until you unlock the air dash ability. And please use all the moving ability ALL THE TIME, or you'll miss the point of the game.

Came in to post this. Sunset Overdrive was insanely fun to traverse, the movement was so fluid, slightly different than Gravity Rush, but the feeling when you bounce between buildings successfully tickles me in all the same pleasure receptors as GR.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I just really liked moving around and collecting gems in Gravity Rush. Having stuff to find and collect is what I want.

I've heard about Crackdown and it's orbs as well as games like Infamous/Prototype. Would any of those be a good substitute?.
Infamous Second Son has awesome traversal options. It's not like Gravity Rush obviously (there really isn't something comparable, IMO), but it's still great.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the collectables in GR are just a surplus of gems lying all over the place, any collectathon style platformer?
Part of the fun in collecting the gems is in the traversal as well, which is unique to gravity rush. Running upside down under the city collecting stuff isn't something you can do in any game.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Collecting agility orbs in crack down is fun.
Using your powers to traverse the environment in InFamous and Prototype is a lot of fun.

Nothing comes close when it comes to completely defying gravity, leaping off an island and flying to another or diving down under an island to see a nice sea of pink gems.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Odd one but I liked collecting all of the comics in the amazing Spiderman game on PS3/Vita. Not sure if the Vita version is any good, probably not.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Infamous, Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive can scratch the itch.

Then there is also stuff like Mario Odyssey in which the whole game is literally running around and collecting stuff.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Gravity Rush is a nice sized game and isn't overly populated with collectibles that getting them all was fun and not a chore.

As other have pointed out Infamous Second Son and First Light would be a perfect imo. Their worlds aren't too big to make the thought of collection daunting and the progress screen breaks the city up into sections that lets you see what needs to be done where. I really enjoyed it, platinuming First Light.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the fun in collecting the gems is in the traversal as well, which is unique to gravity rush. Running upside down under the city collecting stuff isn't something you can do in any game.
Yeah but at this point we're reaching an ultra specific itch exclusive to the two GR games.

Though as a fun ruiner I'd say it's basically no different to collecting collectables on foot or with flight except with a meter that burns out and quickly refills.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Crackdown does have a lot of stuff to collect, and also a lot of optional activities that I found fun for the most part. Crackdown 2 is even better in that regard, it gives you more types of orbs, more activities, more weapons and things to toy around with... Just more of everything.

Sunset Overdrive is another great suggestion that I'll definitely echo. It has a gorgeous open-world worth exploring, the movement feels great, and there's a metric ton of collectibles.

ReCore scratched a very similar itch for me - great platforming, plenty of action, and lots of stuff to collect. I really love that type of game, and now I'm looking forward to playing Gravity Rush even more than before.