• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Sid Meier has been doing it for over 20 years.

IT IS? LMAO

388979-sid-meier-s-civilization-vi-windows-front-cover.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It can't just be famous game devs, I think it's game devs who kinda have their own signature style of games that aren't really like anything else. So not Cory Barlog or Neil Druckmann. The "auteurs" if you will.

Suda51, Yoko Taro, Miyazaki and Fumito Ueda are the ones I can think of. Maybe Kamiya and Sakurai.

The problem is that Suda has had his name stapled to like six or seven projects now that he didn't really have all that much to do with, diluting its power.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He's not the most famous creator at SE, but FF XVI having "From the vision of Hiroyuki Ito" might may you feel FF is back.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
See this one is weird for me because Mikami for the longest time has been all about raising young talent and giving them their shots. Even some games associated with him that he produced (vanquish, god hand) were actually directed by other people. I think Mikami would be more in favor of putting those names in front of his

OP
OP

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Well yes and no;

There are plenty of names in movies that aren't in the public awareness because no matter how good of a gaffer you are, people can't see the effect so they don't usually care. In both games and movies, however, the director, writer, and producer are in a much higher creative position so their effects both good and bad are more visible to the end user.

I'd love to go more comprehensive with this answer but I'm writing this in between rounds of counter strike lol
Please come back later, that's a topic i would love to discuss, i mean, we see guys like Druckman, Myazaki or Barlog, they are pretty much a seal of quality, just like Tarantino or Scorcese. And of course we see the "newcomers" like Suda, Yoko Taro, etc. I still don't see this like a ego thing and more like a comercial thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think OP actually read his interview on what Kojima considers "a Hideo Kojima game". It's not just every game he's involved with...

OP
OP

Deleted member 56065

Apr 18, 2019
I don't think OP actually read his interview on what Kojima considers "a Hideo Kojima game". It's not just every game he's involved with...
I read that interview, and i know is not just an ego thing, dude does a lot os stuff from behind the scenes. I am more curious in a comercial level if people would buy a game just because it has director X involved with or not.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
See this one is weird for me because Mikami for the longest time has been all about raising young talent and giving them their shots. Even some games associated with him that he produced (vanquish, god hand) were actually directed by other people. I think Mikami would be more in favor of putting those names in front of his

?

Mikami directed both Vanquish and God Hand.

Are you getting mixed up with Suda51? Shadows of the Damned, Killer is Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, No More Heroes 2; they were all games directed by other people.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Please come back later, that's a topic i would love to discuss, i mean, we see guys like Druckman, Myazaki or Barlog, they are pretty much a seal of quality, just like Tarantino or Scorcese. And of course we see the "newcomers" like Suda, Yoko Taro, etc. I still don't see this like a ego thing and more like a comercial thing.
Oh I absolutely think it's a commercial thing in most cases, that's why names like Tarantino and Tim Burton get stapled to products that they only had minor roles in creating. People will absolutely go out and see a movie just because of the name printed on the poster.

People already mentioned that this has happened several times with Suda 51, but I feel like I'm games it's harder to fake like that because since it's more hands on, it's easier to tell when it's not the case.

Also am I mistaken or did Corey Barlog not actually work on the new GoW? I know he didn't direct most of them after I want to say 2, but I haven't played the new one or really looked into it so I don't know if he came back for it

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I don't think either of them are arrogant enough (or, let's be real - as singularly in charge of projects enough) to claim that. Especially nowadays.
Maybe not arrogant enough but If Miyamoto did and had his name plastered on it as the father of mario i bet noone would be against it and it would sell gang busters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56065

Apr 18, 2019
Oh I absolutely think it's a commercial thing in most cases, that's why names like Tarantino and Tim Burton get stapled to products that they only had minor roles in creating. People will absolutely go out and see a movie just because of the name printed on the poster.

People already mentioned that this has happened several times with Suda 51, but I feel like I'm games it's harder to fake like that because since it's more hands on, it's easier to tell when it's not the case.

Also am I mistaken or did Corey Barlog not actually work on the new GoW? I know he didn't direct most of them after I want to say 2, but I haven't played the new one or really looked into it so I don't know if he came back for it
He direct gow 2 and the new gow as well.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Fumito Ueda
Jonathan Blow
David Cage

It probably makes the most sense for recognizable creators that aren't making sequels in a franchise.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Miyazaki probably should have did this starting with at least Dark Souls, his name would be strong by now.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's a lot of names that come to mind who can pull off something like that. doesn't mean they'll do it tho.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
It's usually just something added to games that have a singular creator/writer.

Tended to be more common with simpler, earlier games and the general reality that games then started as indie projects rather than board room pitches. Sierra On-line alone had Roberta Williams (King's Quest), Al Lowe (Liesure Suit Larry), and Scott Murphy/Mark Crowe (Space Quest) who could all, and likely did, have the game basically be credited as their own.

What is currently more interesting about Hideo Kojima though is that he actually has a production company using his own name. Extremely rare for a creator/writer/director to do, especially these days. Most are under the umbrella of a larger company.

But yeah, basically being the creator is the most important (as in, coming up with the idea and concept), and second, having a significant hand in making the game, even if it is only writing the script. Which is what was true for most of Kojima's games.

Nov 23, 2017
hopefully no one has that big of an ego
Why is it ok if other mediums' artists do this but not this one?

And dont give me that "game development takes wary more people than any other medium," which is true in a sense, but missing the point. Michael Angelo had a studio with dozens of aids, other artists and helpers, but you'd be crazy not to look at a work by him and say its not of his own singular vision.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
1954-total-annihilation-windows-front-cover.jpg

Chris Taylor, evidently

Others that come to mind:
Terry Cavanagh
Edmund McMillen
Lucas Pope

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I really appreciate what Gearbox did with the Borderlands 3 credits.

Gearbox is...
list of employees by alphabetical order

That way good ol' CEO Randy Pitchford looks no more important than the QC dudes or sound designers. They are all part of the team that made the game what it is. I really appreciate when leadership shows that level of humility.