• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
18j3h1di06j1yjpg.jpg

Lest we forget John Romero's Daikatana

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a ego thing? I mean, some people consume movies based on the director (Tarantino, Scorcese, etc)
To me, and specifically in the case of Kojima, the "ego" thing is more because the guy is super self-indulgent in his writing/direction that every time I see "A game by Hideo Kojima" I know there's going to be non-stop nonsensical cutscenes babbling on and on about inane stuff and passing it up as super-deep pseudo philosophical "I'm 12 and this is deep" thoughts. It has nothing to do with the act of putting his name on his games. The people that like his games (and I should clarify that I like the gameplay in them) probably want to know that Kojima is behind it. That's entirely normal I'd say.
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention Levine. Though to be fair his last "big" game was Infinite, and that was a while ago.
Amy Hennig's Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 3

A man can dream.
<3 I love you.

This thread is making me feel old by the way. A lot of "big name" designers/developers in the 90s that aren't mentioned anymore. I see people bringing up Sid Meier of course, but back then I would have instantly bought any game by Richard Garriott, Warren Spector, Tim Schafer, Ken & Roberta Williams, etc.

About ten or so years ago I would have said Jaffe and Cliffy B too.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
His name already IS strong, and it's part of why he got promoted. He doesn't need to put his name on the front cover of his games and Pretend he's the single reason they're good.
Kojima is next level superstar compared to Miyazaki, he's made his name and his team as a result, into its own brand that's disconnected from any corporation. How many people have the pull to do something as wild as Death Stranding? He bounced back with a damn near unlimited budget and made a fucking weird indie game with the full backing of a 1st party publisher and got a deal to also get it released on pc, it's unreal. There's a clear benefit to pushing your name out there, I don't really care about your arrogance spiel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is next level superstar compared to Miyazaki, he's made his name and his team as a result, into its own brand that's disconnected from any corporation. How many people have the pull to do something as wild as Death Stranding? He bounced back with a damn near unlimited budget and made a fucking weird indie game with the full backing of a 1st party publisher and got a deal to also get it released on pc, it's unreal. There's a clear benefit to pushing your name out there, I don't really care about your arrogance spiel.

Miyazaki is essentially the boss of From Software now. He doesn't need to jerk himself off on the cover of every game and physically put himself into them as an NPC and have other NPCs call him "God".

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's a dick move. In AAA games especially, it takes so many people with skills that Kojima doesn't have in order to make the art, visuals, design, and more. His name takes from attention for the studio and it's gross.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Hostility
Miyazaki is essentially the boss of From Software now. He doesn't need to jerk himself off on the cover of every game and physically put himself into them as an NPC and have other NPCs call him "God".
Didn't I just say I don't give a shit about your arrogance spiel. I don't care how much you think Kojima is the devil incarnate for putting his name out like movie directors or book authors, I'm talking about the results.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't I just say I don't give a shit about your arrogance spiel. I don't care how much you think Kojima is the devil incarnate for putting his name out like movie directors or book authors, I'm talking about the results.

The point I'm making is that Miyazaki is plenty goddamn successful enough already. He is not the singular reason his games are good, so shoving his name on the cover of each game when it's already credited appropriately in the actual credits is asinine.

The dude got promoted to top dog of From Software because of his track record of success. What more do you want from him?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Shigeru Miyamoto, but he's probably way too humble for that. The only modern developer that I wouldn't actually mind seeing is Miyazaki, but he too is likely too humble for that shit. I get why Kojima does it though. It's a brand thing, and he thinks he's a rock star (and he kind of is to some).

edit: It might also have to do with how much he wants his games to be so "cinematic" all of the time (eight hours of cutscenes...) and film directors have their names in the title all of the time and no one bats an eye anymore.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The point I'm making is that Miyazaki is plenty goddamn successful enough already. He is not the singular reason his games are good, so shoving his name on the cover of each game when it's already credited appropriately in the actual credits is asinine.

The dude got promoted to top dog of From Software because of his track record of success. What more do you want from him?
What do I want from him? Nothing, the fuck? The point is he could do it like Kojima and take it even futher if he wanted to, that's what this thread is about.

Again you still can't help but go on and on about how horrible Kojima is, goddamn chill out he didn't hurt you.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Sakurai considering he has his hands in pretty much ever part of Smash just like Kojima does with his games. But unlike Kojima he's humble.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto and Aonuma for sure
Miyamoto absolutely could if he wanted to (but obviously he doesn't for a variety of reasons, including that he just doesn't get that involved with individual games at this level anymore) but I don't really think Aonuma has enough of his own brand outside of Zelda, a franchise he didn't even create, to actually pull this off

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was a time when triple A publishers were eager to plaster Suda51's name on a title like he was a rock star, despite the fact that those titles were usually the ones where he was reigned in the most. It seems like everyone and their mother wanted the "No More Heroes" lightning to strike twice.

Ironically the most "Suda game" to have recently come out in over a decade is one that is comparatively humble about itself in marketing.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both already happened (for the US/EU releases, not in Japan). Sakaguchi's other games mostly just used "From the father of Final Fantasy" in their western advertising.
I think the key thing here is that they're still not actually using Sakaguchi's name to sell the game, they're using his connection to Final Fantasy. It's a small distinction, but important here

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I think the key thing here is that they're still not actually using Sakaguchi's name to sell the game, they're using his connection to Final Fantasy. It's a small distinction, but important here
I was comparing The Last Story, which did use his name to sell the game in the West ("A Hironobu Sakaguchi Game" is written on the cover I posted), to his other games, which just used his connection to Final Fantasy. :)

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
To me, and specifically in the case of Kojima, the "ego" thing is more because the guy is super self-indulgent in his writing/direction that every time I see "A game by Hideo Kojima" I know there's going to be non-stop nonsensical cutscenes babbling on and on about inane stuff and passing it up as super-deep pseudo philosophical "I'm 12 and this is deep" thoughts. It has nothing to do with the act of putting his name on his games. The people that like his games (and I should clarify that I like the gameplay in them) probably want to know that Kojima is behind it. That's entirely normal I'd say.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention Levine. Though to be fair his last "big" game was Infinite, and that was a while ago.

<3 I love you.

This thread is making me feel old by the way. A lot of "big name" designers/developers in the 90s that aren't mentioned anymore. I see people bringing up Sid Meier of course, but back then I would have instantly bought any game by Richard Garriott, Warren Spector, Tim Schafer, Ken & Roberta Williams, etc.

About ten or so years ago I would have said Jaffe and Cliffy B too.

I brought up Roberta Williams. 😔

I'll bring up Jane Jensen, too! Right now!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What do I want from him? Nothing, the fuck? The point is he could do it like Kojima and take it even futher if he wanted to, that's what this thread is about.

Again you still can't help but go on and on about how horrible Kojima is, goddamn chill out he didn't hurt you.

You do realize that the post you responded to there didn't mention Kojima at all, right? I'm just saying that Miyazaki's achievements speak for themselves and the man is clearly not interested in pulling power moves to try and claim more credit than he deserves for the success of the games he works on.

That's the long and short of it - yes, there are people in the industry who COULD do it. But most directors and producers in the industry nowadays realize that AAA games are simply too big and too complex for one person to be the singular auteur who should get all the attention.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Sid Meier
David Cage
Hideki Kamiya
Yoko Taro
Suda51
Swery65
Masahiro Sakurai
Shinji Mikami
Hideaki Itsuno
Hidetaka Miyazaki

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
David Crane's a boy and his blob and Sid Meiers a ton of stuff

I think i remember something having "a game by Will Wright" subtitle but he deserves the call up

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one else goes out there to promote themselves(and their games) like Kojima does. A lot of people in the West know who he is, but I doubt they know the guys that make DMC, Dark Souls or most of Nintendo's shit. They have no presence. You kinda "know" Kojima by his games. There's a person attached to it, not a developer team.
The only person I can see doing that is Druckmann. Maybe if he ever leaves ND.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
You do realize that the post you responded to there didn't mention Kojima at all, right? I'm just saying that Miyazaki's achievements speak for themselves and the man is clearly not interested in pulling power moves to try and claim more credit than he deserves for the success of the games he works on.

That's the long and short of it - yes, there are people in the industry who COULD do it. But most directors and producers in the industry nowadays realize that AAA games are simply too big and too complex for one person to be the singular auteur who should get all the attention.
Dude you talking about how asinine it would be and how he's not the singular reason it's good is a clear shot at Kojima, you've been doing it this entire time, it's not subtle.

Are you aware of what thread you are posting in? Once again, the premise of the thread is talking about people who could do it and get away with it like Kojima, not whether they would do it or if you find them repulsive evil human beings for doing so.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't think there is one anymore other than him. The others have either retired, or they make smaller scale games.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if more game devs got similar billing to those in film.

Yeah Kojima does slap his name everywhere but at least he slips in credits for other leads.
I can name a bunch of kojima productions staff from pre release promotion and in game credits but I can't name a single person who worked on God of War 2018 other then Cory.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
For me there's a set of directors I can immediately tell were involved with a game when I start playing a new game. Oddly they're mostly Japanese.
Off the top of my head there's Yoko Taro, Miyazaki, Suda51, Swery65, Miyamoto, Kamiya, David Cage, Shinji Mikami, Keita Takahashi, and (to a smaller degree) Tim Schafer.

There are also some artists whose work I can immediately recognize like Yoji Shinkawa or Nomura, but I think that when you're looking at concept art or character design it becomes a lot easier to pinpoint.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Miyazaki and Miyamoto could, but would only need to if they left their studios. Saying by From and by Nintendo is enough right now and I think the way they would prefer it.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Sid Meier and American McGee already do.
Well there goes my first choice. Pirates and Railroads doesn't have the same ring to it without Sid Meier's endorsement.
The obvious one. Geoff Crammond.
Now there's another Microprose blast from the past. Geoff Crammond's Formula 1 Grand Prix.
Kou Shibusawa gets to put his name front and center on Nioh and Nioh 2 intro splash screens. I never heard of the guy before Nioh, but he's been involved with a lot of projects over the years.
Yup I know Kou Shibusawa more for his strategy games (Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition).

EDIT -

You know I was thinking of TTDX but I didn't think it had his name in the title (though it does show "A Chris Sawyer Game" at the start I guess).