• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Like say, if you live in New York City, the most ideal part of NYC is probably a part of Manhattan, probably near Central Park or south of the park.

In Arizona, Monument Valley has been used countless times in movies, books, images regarding "cowboys", so yeah, Monument Valley.

monument-valley.jpg

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
When it comes to major cities I think El Paso matches most people's view of Texas a lot more than, say, Houston.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's either Charleston or Myrtle Beach for South Carolina. The former for its history, the latter because of tourism. Basically for its coast. And that's all that is worth knowing in SC.

960x0.jpg

960x0.jpg

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I live in a town in the beautiful county of Wiltshire. This is what Wiltshire is known for. Stone Henge.

stone-circel-hub-item.png

For my town of Swindon it would be easy to say the Magic Roundabout, but I'd rather it be something more than a eyesore roundabout, so I'd say Lydiard Park below

v0_large.jpg

Or the iron age fort of Barbury Castle

Barbury-Castle.jpeg

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
For Taiwan most people would use Taipei around 101/Xinyi district:

zhongshan-park.jpg

or going through narrow residential alleys somewhere in the city:
taiwan-asia-road-taipei.jpg

or somewhere out in the middle of the island like Sun Moon Lake:
20170621074707_1914170157_13424_0.jpg

Shoutouts to Jiufen as well:

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
For Taiwan most people would use Taipei around 101/Xinyi district:

zhongshan-park.jpg

or going through narrow residential alleys somewhere in the city:
taiwan-asia-road-taipei.jpg

or somewhere out in the middle of the island like Sun Moon Lake:
20170621074707_1914170157_13424_0.jpg

Shoutouts to Jiufen as well:

Pffff, this looks absolutely beautiful.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Remember it's idealized places so don't blame me if it doesn't measure up to expectations, but yes it's a great place with enough to see for several trips!
Even places that aren't idealized make me wanna go. I really love New Taiwanese Cinema, so I think that's what made me first interested. Also, photos my Taiwanese friends showed me.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
ladadika-thessaloniki-greece-july-street-view-urban-architecture-distrcit-second-largest-city-located-northern-133368065.jpg

I guess the Ladadika? Used to be the brothel corner of the city and run down up till the early 2000s, but the last decade and a half saw major restorations and its image changed into a cluster of bars, tavernes, and mezedopolia. Its the last or one of the last few blocks of the city that have the old buildings and most of hs are thankful for this considering everything got torn down for apartment buildings during tbe 60s and 70s. Much like the Ladadika you also have Ano Poli which is also a magical cluster of old restoration buildings, which are still residential.
DSC_0411+3.jpg

This is a view from the old City Walls whjch doesn't show all the Ano Poli, which are the red shingle houses. Note the clear dichotomy between the concrete slabs and those red shingles.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
lxvdjcD.png

That's Oxford, looking under the Bridge of Sighs towards the Sheldonian Theatre.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
How people imagine Houston (actually Dallas):

30050751977_8dbc492659_b.jpg

What Houston actually looks like :

EDNN3rQo0BCdIjPdMQJnDqOeLL3zbfcM1fjsNZZb2gbeGC0I4IwyC_fEvLAYuf-C6PSOnh3PLabISYaANRHCR07r20ZAiwznciccWfFCcii1J0SL8_Hkk4a2wPMVKplhcFxd8g

IMO, in many ways, I think Austin is the ideal part of Texas, since it seems to escape the negative image that everywhere else in Texas seems to have. Obviously, to those from Texas, or even folks like me who have studied the state and treat it with reverence, this isn't true. But for a lot of those ignorant to Texas, it is.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
krPLvpH_d.jpg

This is up in Luzerne County, PA, but it could be anywhere in the Susquehanna River Valley. The patchwork fields intermingling with dense forests; the slow and winding Susquehanna river; the long, low mountains, like the ridges of a giant's fingerprint. I think central Pennsylvania is just beautiful.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I live in NYC, but I'm originally from CT... so I'll say the Yale Campus in autumn.

shutterstock_517879ae.jpg

pjyxIn5Lt5pgBbkLCdLr5I0gAiFAyj0ToVGtWT7-nSE.jpg
The Yale campus is the ideal representation of New England because it's a beautiful, old, historic college campus in a picturesque small town where rich-ass old elite white mofos live two neighborhoods away from poor brown people. It's really perfect in its shittiness.

EDIT* for the record, I'm a NYC native, college in CT, with most of my friends and family in all six New England states.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the impression if you live anywhere in Texas you have to pick on / hate Houston. Unless you're from Houston. Then it's the greatest city anyone could ever imagine.

Yeah, I guess. I'm from Houston, though, and pretty much everyone I know wishes they lived in California or Colorado or something. Definitely more of a West coast envy down here. The 1 thing all Texans can agree on is Whataburger, and that's about it. Even the sports teams are totally divided lol. There's probably more to do in Houston than other cities, and the lifestyle (housing, jobs, etc) isn't too shabby. But man, we all wish the weather was more diverse, and I'd love to have a beach that isn't murky Galveston Bay.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to define Ä°stanbul. But the Bosphorus, where Asia and Europe meet, makes a compelling case.

bo%C4%9Faz-manzaras%C4%B1.jpeg

edit: A bit hard to make out but I think the farther coast in this image is Europe, and the nearer side to the camera is Asia.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019
Okay I'll bite for ideal outside of Chicago

Anderson Japanese Gardens. Rockford. The waterfalls at Starved Rock State Park. Oglesby.
Burden Falls. Shawnee National Forest. Grosse Point Lighthouse. Evanston.
Fabyan Windmill at Fabyan Forest Preserve.
Cahokia Mounds.
Garden of the Gods.
Chicago botanic gardens. Glencoe.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Oh hi i live by the japenese gardens and faybyan windmill. Its nice early am before the karens and all thier children come out.

The gardens in geneva not rockford /winkemoji

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Alsace in France.
Most people think about small traditional towns like Riquewihr near the mountains:
lgr_top-alsace-riquewihr-1140x700.jpg

Or the beautiful Colmar
thio-petite-venise-colmar-istock-sergey-dzyuba-1600x900.jpg

But most cities are rather bland. It's still a very beautiful region.

EDIT: please note that those pics have been HEAVILY edited, it's rare that the colours pop out as much.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably the Speicherstadt (Hamburg)

1920px-Speicherstadt_abends.jpg

And on the other hand the Reperbahn of course

st--pauli-reeperbahn.jpg

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Valencia is a city that mixes the old with the futuristic, so all of this:
Collage_de_la_ciudad_de_Valencia%2C_capital_de_la_Comunidad_Valenciana%2C_Espa%C3%B1a.png

But if i have to pinpoint the standing thing of the city (and a lot of the stuff in the above collage is part of it) its probably the drained old Turia riverbed. There was a huge flood in 1957 so the decided to make the Turia surround the city instead of crossing it (it was not a very good looking river apart from the old medieval walls and bridges, that we still have). Years later during the 80's it was decided to start its transformation into a huge park with multiple activities and gardens, that crosses the city by the middle and from one point to the other, turning into a 9km long park that is the lungs of the city, also biggest urban park in all Spain. Seriously we dont have as much polution as the other 3 big Spanish cities thanks to it, so no smog like Madrid and Barcelona. And the funny think is that the piece of shit Franco wanted to turn it into a highway, fuck him and thank god he didnt get what he wanted.
jardinturiadesdenoria1.jpg

(this is only a quarter of the park).

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
California is hard because there's so much variety but obviously the two front runners are LA and the SF Bay Area.

Oct 28, 2017
The Rhine Valley is probably the most picturesque part of Mid/Western Germany.
The most famous sight is the Loreley, but honestly it's overhyped, it's just a rock overrun with tourists

1714-7735fb4abc3db0a0990554560b0a5457.png

Not to say that the river isn't beautiful, lots of castles and cute small towns.

thumb_1482774_cover_header.jpeg

Though it's mostly just the 'Middle Rhine' that's this idyllic, lots of industry along the river further North and South

For something more modern, there's Frankfurt, the only German city with a real skyline

Frankfurt-Skyline.jpg

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
City-from-St-Kilda-Steven-Wright.jpg

St Kilda Pier - Melbourne
- This is where the penguins come & you get an amazing view of the increasingly impressive skyline

1576433029-melbourne-city-960x540.jpg

Brighton Boxes - Melbourne
Similar in theme to the above pic

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire Western half of Colorado. The plains are garbage, the front range is good, but the mountains are amazing.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
West Virginia is called "Wild and Wonderful" for good reason. Absolutely breathtaking nature here in the state.
West_Virgina.jpg

Unfortunately the state is also known for its coal mining, which has in the last 30 years or so switched almost exclusively to mountaintop removal mining:

iXfIBOr5MHV1p1CzX7C-3QnFarqY3DgXR9bi1VczMCsRZ55oLDBM-HE61XQG-P_w1zyOd869ElMU0eS6xkKF9uVG_kI8YHzW1w0J7cdzd4s

Literal wounds on the face of the land.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Please just be careful sharing PII like where you live on the internet, I don't want to b a buzzkill or anything but just wanted to throw out a reminder for people to be cognizant of it.