• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wallpaper Engine - Can be purchaed through Steam, its quite cheap. Turn your desktop wallpapers into animated loops. Lots and lots of options through Steam Workshop, and it uses very very little CPU power. (<2%)

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
For those using Audacity for audio processing, will it clean up hisses and static in sound waves? Any other free programs that can help?

I have a few sound files with a lot of background noise in them.

Popstar

Oct 25, 2017
I always replace notepad with Notepad2-mod on Windows.

Heavier editing goes to Sublime Text or Visual Studio/Xcode.

TortoiseSVN on Windows, Cornerstone 2 on macOS for subversion. (Not paying for Cornerstone 3 when they can't even be bothered to update Subversion past 1.8). GitHub for git on both.

Acorn for image editing on macOS, I prefer it to Pixelmator. Paint.NET on Windows although I'd like to find something more equivalent to Acorn on Windows in anyone has any suggestions.

StartIsBack+, Display Fusion, f.lux, Audio Switcher and Fences to improve my Windows 8.1 experience.

Oct 27, 2017
For those using Audacity for audio processing, will it clean up hisses and static in sound waves? Any other free programs that can help?

I have a few sound files with a lot of background noise in them.

Yeah I used it to reduce static from a VHS tape rip I did. It works well if you can isolate quiet parts of the audio file where only the background static is present. You can then build a noise profile on that and remove that signature from the entire audio file. There are YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah I used it to reduce static from a VHS tape rip I did. It works well if you can isolate quiet parts of the audio file where only the background static is present. You can then build a noise profile on that and remove that signature from the entire audio file. There are YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Wow that works great. Thanks for the tip.

That's amazing for a free program. I'm going to donate to this.

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recently tried out Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, and they're excellent. Great alternatives for Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and thankfully not subscription based.

Otherwise I can also recommend Krita (free and open source) for digital drawing and painting. Clip Studio Pro is great for lineart work.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I use that I don't see here yet.

Not sure if non Linux version of these

Whipper - - A CD ripper that uses accurip comparisons for accurate rips and musicbrainz database for metadata.

Tiny Tiny RSS - - A Google Reader replacement you can install on your own server.

Liferaea - - A desktop RSS reader that you can point to an external server.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Everything - Instantaneous local file search. This should be a standard feature on Windows, but until that happens then Everything is the best option.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any calculator in macOS similar to Microsoft Mathematics? I like how it autoformats everything while typing.

I'm using Magic Number Machine at the moment but you have to click on a very precise spot for editing (bleh). I've also found nasty bugs that make it crash.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
  • I exclusively use SublimeText 3 for my word processing and programming needs. Package Control is a Godsend. You can change the editor to suits your needs.
  • MacType is essential to make the font in your windows machine looks much better. Here's a comparison

HNaYOCS.png
MLcwx2i.png

What is the goto for reading comics/manga on Windows?

HoneyView is good.