• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Welp.
I just saw this on reddit and I went to the store to claim my PS5 version, specially after seeing the trailer "claiming" to be free. Then I found that it is not free and that I own another version. I saw people on reddit and other places pissed at such redurring behaviour especially that the GP version from past gen upgrades to free XSX/S versions.

I really hope next time, when some games pull such tricks, and since they have a special definition of FREE, when they put it in their trailers, they just need to specify FREE EVERYEWHERE EXCEPT FOR PS+ owners.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
2 thoughts.

The free upgrade just came out. So maybe wait for the Devs or Sony to comment or fix this. It's possible the PS+ version won't get an update.

But it's also possible the game will be re-added as part of PS+ Extra and have the PS5 upgrade included. (Happened to couple PS4 titles)

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
2 thoughts.

The free upgrade just came out. So maybe wait for the Devs or Sony to comment or fix this. It's possible the PS+ version won't get an update.

But it's also possible the game will be re-added as part of PS+ Extra and have the PS5 upgrade included. (Happened to couple PS4 titles)

Yeah but if your second suggestion happens, it means they gonna leave Essential subscribers to the dust.
Tbh, this may happen or not, FF7 happened twice (first took months and second time took days). Persistence free PS5 happened after a week iirc but some said cus Sony own Firesprite.
Kingoddball free upgrade never happened after launch, Sparkle 2, Greedfall, Mortal shell, Neon Chrome (not sure if it had free upgrade for normal PS4 owners but PS+ ones did not get it) and recently RE7 from PS Collection and others did not happen sadly.
So it's a 50/50 gamble. Seeing this game is from Annapurna and how they had a good deal with Stray with Sony, giving free PS5 Maquette through PS+, I hope this will be the case. But if it does not happen, I am still prepared for it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yea, they could fix this any number of ways. The fact that it keeps happening, though, makes me think this is a quirk of how Sony does its PS+ deals (or at least did in the past - maybe it's changed now with the new tiers). And so Sony perhaps legally or even technically differentiates these games in a way that makes it not possible to do this, really.

I think what we've learned from things like Smart Delivery on Xbox is that entitlements is not a trivial easy thing to solve. And if Sony didn't create that system with this sort of functionality in mind, then perhaps it's too hard/not worth it to implement now. It's easy in concept, but maybe quite difficult to do in practice. It is a shame, though.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I get that it's about the principle and you're right, but in this specific instance I enjoyed Edith Finch so much when I played it thanks to PS Plus that I would actually be happy to pay a little for a PS5 upgrade just because I feel the devs deserve it.

But that is just me about this specific game.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Ugh, watched the Annapurna thing before work and wondered if it'd be available.

Whether it's an error or on purpose, it's really fucking dumb.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but if your second suggestion happens, it means they gonna leave Essential subscribers to the dust.
Yep. They want to upsell their new products--Stray is a perfect example. I'm sure Sony considered putting that on essential at one point, but there we are. Essential may get smaller indie games at launch, but I think the days of Rocket league or Deep Rock Galactic day one (think it launched then on PS) on PS Essential are gone.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's another week of current Sony

We have to fight, and complain and make noise about these things on social media and if we hit a certain threshold, they will make a statement of 'Cool, yeah we will get right on that, this is all so very hard'

Upgrade issue after upgrade issue. Old 50HZ PAL re-release Groundhog Day fun. Basic features that get scrapped from the UI of every new console that takes them years to put back in.

The same battles repeatedly had.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
Can you purchase games you "own" on psplus these days? I know it wasn't possible on ps4.

GarbColle

Sep 5, 2019
Yea, they could fix this any number of ways. The fact that it keeps happening, though, makes me think this is a quirk of how Sony does its PS+ deals (or at least did in the past - maybe it's changed now with the new tiers). And so Sony perhaps legally or even technically differentiates these games in a way that makes it not possible to do this, really.

I think what we've learned from things like Smart Delivery on Xbox is that entitlements is not a trivial easy thing to solve. And if Sony didn't create that system with this sort of functionality in mind, then perhaps it's too hard/not worth it to implement now. It's easy in concept, but maybe quite difficult to do in practice. It is a shame, though.

I remember in the "early" days of PS4 there were a few instances where for some PS+ PS3/Vita titles when a PS4 version was released later with cross-buy, getting it gave you a full version not tied to your PS+ subscription anymore.

So maybe this is Sony trying to avoid that happening again by making the PS+ version a separate version, with the side effect that the publisher needs to explicitly unlock the upgrade for the PS+ version as well (to a properly PS+ tied version).

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Can you purchase games you "own" on psplus these days? I know it wasn't possible on ps4.

Yes you can but you can't purcahse higher version of the same game like Deluxe or Complete or Gold Editions which is silly cus it does no longer blokc you fro acquiring the same game you got through PS+ but not allow you to get higher versions which may get discounts costing much less than the base game. Very few games allowed getting higher versions after being offered through PS+ but it happened after very very long periods.

I remember in the "early" days of PS4 there were a few instances where for some PS+ PS3/Vita titles when a PS4 version was released later with cross-buy, getting it gave you a full version not tied to your PS+ subscription anymore.

So maybe this is Sony trying to avoid that happening again by making the PS+ version a separate version, with the side effect that the publisher needs to explicitly unlock the upgrade for the PS+ version as well (to a properly PS+ tied version).

During the days they offered 2 PS4, 2 PS3 and 2 PS Vita games, one time we ended up with 4 PS4 games per month cus the other games offered cross buy on PS4. They really don't want this to happen again and thus they may be locking such upgrades (which are basicallyc ross-buys) on purpose.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Oh.. huh. Like an entitlements shortcut that they decide once and never have to think about again? Perhaps, perhaps.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to play Mortal Shell but the fact that the free upgrade is locked for the ps+ version annoys me to no end

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to play Mortal Shell but the fact that the free upgrade is locked for the ps+ version annoys me to no end

Same, also same for Greedfall. Luckily I did not claim PS Collection's RE7 cus I was expecting something similar to happen when a PS5 version would drop.

Last edited:

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I'm tired Sony keeps doing this
It feels like it's a fundamental problem with how the store which has different title ID's for each different version (PS4/PS5/PS+) rather than deliberate choices most of the time. I think they've got to manually flag stuff like free upgrades, instead of it being automatic, because of this.

It's totally frustrating though, especially when you see it Just Work other places. Navigating that store still confuses me, even a year and a half into using it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Still no reaction yet. Contacted the publisher on twitter, and I am sure they saw this thread too but sadly neither this game is FF7 nor this will make many react so they feel the pressure to solve this as quickly as FF7 recently.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I only claimed it on PS Plus and it's frre for me (US).

Are you sure talking about the PS5 version? Cus now PS+ and PS4/PS5 versions are considered different skus and the store states that. I read some cases like that on reddit but they forgot they got the game outside PS+ when it was on sale. Still not a single case I saw claiming it for free.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
the ps5 patch/version of outer wilds is coming out on september 15 and its on ps+ extra as well, its going to happen again with that isn it?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome I didn't realize it was a free upgrade. Nabbed, and will give another playthrough

Edit: ah I don't wanna derail

Last edited:

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Are you sure talking about the PS5 version? Cus now PS+ and PS4/PS5 versions are considered different skus and the store states that. I read some cases like that on reddit but they forgot they got the game outside PS+ when it was on sale. Still not a single case I saw claiming it for free.
No I definitly got it and Plus (and it confirms it by being in my plus game catalogue) and yes the PS5 version was free for me.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No I definitly got it and Plus (and it confirms it by being in my plus game catalogue) and yes the PS5 version was free for me.

So weird. It is not for me. First case seeing this tbh.
I would like others that have it on US accounts through PS+ to check this too. EURO accounts still don't have it. I just checked.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017

This actually just happened again to me. I have Sparkle 2 from PS+ in 2018. They just release a PS5 version which I claimed and its not tied to PS+. But not only that, my PS4/PS3/Vita version are also no longer tied to PS+.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This might just be a bug, but man people have to realize that devs have to submit these upgrades for certification and they require work. You already got what you were agreeing to redeem from PS+.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The Edith Finch upgrade is great. Frame rate is so much smoother and the visuals look much clearer.

Though, my PS5 is buzzing like crazy when playing it now. If I pause it, it stops, but unpaused it's coil whine city. I'm not sure if it's my console getting worse or the game forcing PS5 to brute force.

Last edited:

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the RE thread, Sony needs to add some sort of disclaimer at this point.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
The Edith Finch upgrade is great. Frame rate is so much smoother and the visuals look much clearer.

Though, my PS5 is buzzing like crazy when playing it now. If I pause it, it stops, but I paused it's coil whine city. I'm not sure if it's my console getting worse or the game forcing PS5 to brute force.
that's the power of 4k60fps of pure feels.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
All this time waiting and still nothing. they rellay don't care and I don't think they gonna move a finger to please PS+ owners jsut like the all the other games. This was planned from the start.

This actually just happened again to me. I have Sparkle 2 from PS+ in 2018. They just release a PS5 version which I claimed and its not tied to PS+. But not only that, my PS4/PS3/Vita version are also no longer tied to PS+.

I really don't know what you are talkign about but Sparkle 2 PS4 version from PS+ does not not allow you to get the PS5 version by any means. There is PS4 version that was a thign back then and that was offered through PS+ and now there is a combined PS4/PS5 version that si priced and does not offer you a free PS5 version. Same as King Oddball and this game and others.

Tbh, I won't really support such games int he future anymore, if they did not do such scammy stunt, I would have supported the games at some point by paying for them once and for all (mostly on sale) but no way I gonna pay twice for the same games (whetehr they accept it or not having the games through PS+ is paying a little some for them, as if someone got them on sale so it's still paying for them).

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I really don't know what you are talkign about but Sparkle 2 PS4 version from PS+ does not not allow you to get the PS5 version by any means. There is PS4 version that was a thign back then and that was offered through PS+ and now there is a combined PS4/PS5 version that si priced and does not offer you a free PS5 version. Same as King Oddball and this game and others.

I dunno what to tell you but I definitely got it for free:

9Vt7PwU.png

vJXwvg3.png

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Well at least they fixed the FFVIIR issue for me, and I was able to get the DLC episode downloaded to my PS5 version, so hopefully this gets fixed too.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno what to tell you but I definitely got it for free:

9Vt7PwU.png

vJXwvg3.png

I really don't know what to say either. netguy503 said he could even download Edith and it seems to be him to be able to do so for whataver reason. For me I coudl neevr find a way to have Sparkle 2 PS5 version. I went to both web and PS5 stores and there was no way to have it. Do you only find it in the web library? Can you download that specific PS5 version on PS5 from the web store? Can you check please?

Edit: Can you check King Odball and if you have the PS5 version too? I think some US accounts are lucky to get both versions at some point which seems to be a bug that they benefit from.

Last edited:

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I really don't know what to say either. netguy503 said he could even download Edith and it seems to be him to be able to do so for whataver reason. For me I coudl neevr find a way to have Sparkle 2 PS5 version. I went to both web and PS5 stores and there was no way to have it. Do you only find it in the web library? Can you download that specific PS5 version on PS5 from the web store? Can you check please?

Edit: Can you check King Odball and if you have the PS5 version too? I think some US accounts are lucky to get both versions at some point which seems to be a bug that they benefit from.

I redeemed it on the webstore. I don't have a PS5 so can't check to see if it will download correctly.

I can not get King Oddball, it shows $6.99 for me. Canadian account.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I redeemed it on the webstore. I don't have a PS5 so can't check to see if it will download correctly.

I can not get King Oddball, it shows $6.99 for me. Canadian account.

So weird. This is what it shows for me:

rwVC7v9.png

DssquBz.png

There are 2 versions of Sparkle 2 PS4& PS5 one is just the PS4 version with the icon below that I won through PS+ and the other one is PS4 PS5 written below but when I enter it it shows that I own another version which is the former version I mentioned. I get the same issue with King Odball and Edith Finch. It seems your luck have broken the system and allowed you to get Sparkle 2 for free while netguy503 luck allowed him to get Edith Finch somehow.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017

I did get King Oddball and Sparkle PS5 for free too, yes.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Gimme some of your space time transcending luck. Cus you are the only person to have this cracking even the netcode of Sony and their store XD
I got King Oddball and Sparkle offers when I first booted my PS5 and launced into the store ( got a PS5 a year after it came out from Walmart online December 2021....a year and a half old).

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sony's system shouldn't be so terrible that this is a problem.

Instead of making 'purchased' titles a different SKU that needs an entirely different upgrade path, they should fix it so PS+ claimed titles have the license stored indepedently. That way this won't happen EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Sony's system shouldn't be so terrible that this is a problem.

On a couple occasions the awful system has benefited me. I got both Towerfall Accension and Mercenary Kings years ago for free because the store bugged out and thought I was entitled to them.

There are 2 versions of Sparkle 2 PS4& PS5 one is just the PS4 version with the icon below that I won through PS+ and the other one is PS4 PS5 written below

Ya I can see both versions of Sparkle 2, with King Oddball and Edith Finch I only see the PS4 & PS5 versions.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure it has to do with regional differences and however anyone working on the backend felt how cross-buy entitlements should be set up in their region.

It is funny that you mention this as a possible reason while he got every PS5 version of the games while using a US account including Edith while others with US account did not get it. Unless there are multiple regions for the US store. XD
That is why I said it may be just pure random luck as more plausible reason cus some got one game, others got all and the rest did not get any.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Sony is incapable of hiring a single intern whose job is to just sit and check what games releasing on PS5 will get a free upgrade from PS4 and then send an email to whoever runs this shit called PS store to make sure the PS+ Licenses are treated properly. They just can't.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Now I am more intrigued and pissed. There must be a secret behind this.
I was able to claim Sparkle 2 PS5 (and just for kicks I claimed PS4 version - again - because even though I had it in library it allowed me to add it again).

Edith and King-Oddball both don't work for me though.
To make matters funnier - I was able to get Greedfall (though has this been added to extra now?), but Not Mortal Shell.