• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
For me, it was probably in Suikoden 2.

72-PSOGL187.jpg

Riou/Hero and Jowy team up temporarily to protect Nanami, only to have her die right afterwards. Of course, she lives in the good ending, but still - at the moment it was heartwrenching. Two friends putting aside a massive conflict to fight together again, only to fail to protect the one they love and go back to fighting again in the end. The fleeting nature of their renewed alliance, the desire to protect someone dear to them, finally putting the asshole Gorudo in his place, and the tragic ending of the affair were all massive gut punches of all different kinds. Plus, using Jowy in battle again and seeing how far he'd come was awesome.

What's yours?

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting pretty emotional at the end of FF7 Crisis Core.

The last few minutes of the game and last CGI were really really good.

original.gif

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
easy. This moment in NieR: Automata

Beauvoir's story. I remember just sitting there on the last line of text absolutely broken and crying.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
45c.gif

I dunno, for some reason this tugged at my heartstrings when I was a kiddo and despite the fact that KH1 hasn't really aged well in my opinion, it still manages to do it. I love the song here too.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Because of my age at the time, and having really seen nothing like it, FF7's famous scene got me... That FF7 OST is simply amazing too, but yeah that scene.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
45c.gif

I dunno, for some reason this tugged at my heartstrings when I was a kiddo and despite the fact that KH1 hasn't really aged well in my opinion, it still manages to do it. I love the song here too.
That scene was really well set up and directed. That does wonders for dictating how you feel.

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Priscilla
in The Witcher 3.

Also Terranigma, the ending.

OP says mark spoilers, and people here start using GIFs of their scenes and even requote them, what?

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A recent one was breaking up with Yennefer in The Witcher 3. Even though I disliked her, the performance and animation were so good and it was so sad...

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I am kid of the late 80's and 90's.

FFVII come on.
FFVIII The sniper
FFIX Melodies of Life
FFX The kiss

Yeah, gonna get all of'em on Switch this year :D

Oct 27, 2017
Suikoden 2 section was a great choice.

For me it's the Opera House in Final Fantasy 6 . The amount of emotion they get from the music, the opera itself and Locke and Celes interactions move me every time. I absolutely love it . It's my favorite scene in gaming history since the moment I first saw it in Junior high.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Undertale's pacifist ending, the fight with Undyne from Undertale's genocide run, and ending E from Nier Automata.

Oh, and that one optional boss fight from Nier Automata as well. That one really got to me.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Terranigma
When, despite saving the world and being able to defy his role as the devil's puppet, Ark still dies

And Mother 3
Where do I start? The prologue where everything goes downhill with Hinawa's death and Claus gone missing, and the heartbreaking ending

Oh and I forgot, Dragon Quest V
The character gets turned into stone and his children grow up without him, that was so unexpected and cruel

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The scene where Akihiko mourns Shinjiro's death

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the scene with Aeris/Aerith and the pearl falling in FF7 to keep it spoiler-free but I think those who have played it know the scene. The music and CG was just mind-blowing for the time and I had never experienced something like that in a video game before. I was sad and angry at the events of a video game.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
FF7. You know what I'm talking about. It mostly has to do with the fact that I was 12 years old when I saw it. I doubt I would've reacted much if I was older.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have a lot of them, but I think one that works really well without being melodrama-land is Drace's death scene in Final Fantasy XII. This one got me especially because it was so well directed in a way that really got to me. It was the first time where I saw something in a video-game directed in such a theatrical way and how it really played into the development and inner turmoil of Gabranth, as a man who cannot accept that his loyalty lies away from the Empire.

The look and feel of this scene, the lighting, the intimacy between these two characters in a way that looks closer to love than a summary execution, even down to the way Gabranth kills her. And we will never know if they loved each other, or just respected each other for what they stand for. But it was irrelevant, they both had a duty to fulfill to the Empire, but above all to themselves. I think it's a brilliant scene that made me choke up both by the gravity of this scene and by the great execution in terms of cutscene direction. Jun Akiyama and Yasumi Matsuno are gods.

dfgergf9esj5.png

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still remember when Sazh in FF13
fakes you out and the game shows his shadow putting his gun to his head and pulling the trigger after he sees his son turn into crystal. They definitely got me with that one.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First time a game made me tear up was FF7. It was when we found out the truth about Seto and The Great Warrior theme came up, I was in tears the whole time.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Probably the scene with Aeris/Aerith and the pearl falling in FF7 to keep it spoiler-free but I think those who have played it know the scene. The music and CG was just mind-blowing for the time and I had never experienced something like that in a video game before. I was sad and angry at the events of a video game.

That first piano note as the materia/pearl falls from Aerith and hits the floor is so profound that I immediately teared up there and then.

I think I was only nine years old at time, and it was the same year that my dear Nana passed away as well as the family of my good school friend who lived down the quiet street from me abruptly upped and left the UK to go and live in Chicago.

The cumulation of all of those things made the scene more emotional for me than I imagine it may have been for most folks...

FFVII.
C'mon folks, if you played the game blind, this one hurts.

AerithDeath2.jpg

To my dumbfoundment, this exact image is on the back of the game case!

I didn't think anything of it at the time though, especially as a nine year old.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018
Planescape: Torment, in the Sensorium

When you use the sensory stone that contains Deionarra's last moments.

The pacifist ending in undertale as well.

Oh, and in Persona 4

When Nanako is sent to the hospital after you rescue her from the TV world

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Planescape Torment

when you read the full version of the text written on your back

Xenogears

Fei and Elly finally being together

Chrono Trigger

Frog wielding masamune again

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Peope posting untagged FFVII spoilers, you know a Remake is coming, right? Surely there's someone somewhere that doesn't know the story yet.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The Bloody Baron story/ending (depending on choices) in Witcher 3. It makes you feel bad for a terrible person.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Final Fantasy 6. Halfway trough. I have never seen a FF game get as dark in its story development as this.
1464671837091.png

Celes' attempted suicide.
Why everyone keeps talking about the opera sequence in this game is something I will never understand. It was just a foreshadowing of this event, and its here it reaches its climax.