• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homecoming.jpg

Al Bhed invaded by Guado in Final Fantasy X. The specific scene that really hit me was when Riku talked about what would really happen to Yuna if she eventually fought sin. You, the player, and Tidus had no idea they would die during battle so this came as a very somber revelation.

In this same game the other scene that gets me is when Yuna and Tidus are atop the airship at the end of the game. She's being hugged by him while while his essence begins to disappear and he just walks through her body to fall off the edge of the airship.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Homecoming.jpg

Al Bhed invaded by Guado in Final Fantasy X. The specific scene that really hit me was when Riku talked about what would really happen to Yuna if she eventually fought sin. You, the player, and Tidus had no idea they would die during battle so this came as a very somber revelation.

In this same game the other scene that gets me is when Yuna and Tidus are atop the airship at the end of the game. She's being hugged by him while while his essence begins to disappear and he just walks through her body to fall off the edge of the airship.
And the kiss scene...

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Does Mass Effect Count?

Mordins death and sacrifice. The singing :(

Nov 17, 2017
I have a lot of them, but I think one that works really well without being melodrama-land is Drace's death scene in Final Fantasy XII. This one got me especially because it was so well directed in a way that really got to me. It was the first time where I saw something in a video-game directed in such a theatrical way and how it really played into the development and inner turmoil of Gabranth, as a man who cannot accept that his loyalty lies away from the Empire.

The look and feel of this scene, the lighting, the intimacy between these two characters in a way that looks closer to love than a summary execution, even down to the way Gabranth kills her. And we will never know if they loved each other, or just respected each other for what they stand for. But it was irrelevant, they both had a duty to fulfill to the Empire, but above all to themselves. I think it's a brilliant scene that made me choke up both by the gravity of this scene and by the great execution in terms of cutscene direction. Jun Akiyama and Yasumi Matsuno are gods.

dfgergf9esj5.png

This is the best damn scene in Final Fantasy.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FFVII had a bunch of moments, especially since I experienced them when I was really young and it was my first real story heavy game.
Aerith, Cosmo Canyon, the rocket launch etc.

Man, the wait for any footage of the remake is really painful at this point.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
For me, it is running over the mountains right after the Costa Del Sol area in FF7. There is rationale:

At this point, you've just been put through *a lot* of major story beats, presented in a fashion where you have had your open world freedom of movement ripped away for the first time since gaining it post Midgar. All of a sudden, you're free again, able to reflect on everything that has happened previously. A combination of that and the wistful music that plays as you climb up into the sunset really hits a spot

sgb

Nov 1, 2017
Aftermath scene in Phantasy Star IV after fighting Zio the first time.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Suikoden II have most feels for me.

The last duel with Jowy where he implores you to fight him seriously.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
The Bloody Baron quest line in The Witcher 3.

Really hit me hard in a game I didn't like much at all!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vivi's letter at the end of FF9, easily.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
There's one little throw-away moment in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines in Hollywood that really got to me. Really don't read if you haven't played the game but think you might; I don't think it would be half as effective if you knew it was coming.

While walking around Hollywood, you randomly run into a friend of your former human self, and they tell you how relieved they are to see you and how everyone has been so worried about you. I forget what all the options are for dealing with the situation, but I totally denied knowing the person and they sadly and confusedly went away.

I don't think this has any consequences for the rest of the game, and you (the player) never actually learn anything about your human life to begin with, so for all I know it really could have been a case of mistaken identity. Still, this moment really grounded the game for me in a way that suffused the darkly humorous setting with a sense of real sadness.

Another example from VtMB is that early in the game, you have a chance to save someone's life by making them your thrall -- basically an addict of your blood who worships you. Afterwards, if you let them, they'll make themselves your "willing" slave. You have multiple chances to let them/force them to be free, and the longer you don't, their life deteriorates more and more. I was playing a power-tripping narcissist so I kept her with me to the bitter end, but damn if it didn't make me feel queasy.

Man, VtMB is a great game. A major reason is that it provides a richer emotional palette than most cRPGs. I never got that feeling of emotional connection with, say, a Fallout game, where NPCs feel more like opportunities to define your own character than they feel like characters worth caring about in and of themselves.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost all mine are from Nier: A.

The moment Pascal realized all the children committed suicide because he taught them emotions, which included how to fear.

Does Mass Effect Count?

Mordins death and sacrifice. The singing :(

This is a good one.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Of all things, the scene in Xenogears where Chu Chu standing up (and becoming fucking gigantic) to Achtzehn always gets me.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Does mmo count? FFXIV has plenty of moments like this. Most memorable for me would be the
Kobold kid.
God that shit was messed up.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
ME3 Stargazer when I realised I'll never get to play the trilogy again without knowing anything about it.

The only time a game made me genuinely depressed for weeks after completing it. Never been so engrossed in a medium before.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It amazes me how you people can get so caught up in JRPGs. They all seem so cheesy and on the nose. More power to you, though.

I would say the main quest in Hearts of Stone in TW3 was pretty emotional for me. A surprisingly mature and touching story, considering the subject material.

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
I second
Deionarras sensory stone and the conversation with Ravel
from Planescape Torment. Also the Bloody Baron questline from The Witcher 3, and the ending of FFX.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Siding with the geth on Ranoch. The Quarians brought their fate on themselves but Tali didn't deserve what she did to herself.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
A decent chunk of the Thousand Years of Dreams stories from Lost Odyssey. When the first one of the bunch made me tear up, I knew I was in for a really great game. They're somewhat isolated from the main story too so if anyone wants they can just watch those on Youtube and get the same experience from them.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
It amazes me how you people can get so caught up in JRPGs. They all seem so cheesy and on the nose. More power to you, though.

The most Eastern setting I'll go is Russia. Japanese/asian games are so weird to me. Not gonna find me playing that shit.

But it seems they're very popular on this board so what do I know.

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 6. Halfway trough. I have never seen a FF game get as dark in its story development as this.
1464671837091.png

Celes' attempted suicide.
Why everyone keeps talking about the opera sequence in this game is something I will never understand. It was just a foreshadowing of this event, and its here it reaches its climax.

Thats a fine choice as well.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
The dark age ending in Deus Ex... the realization of what I just did, accompanied by the exalted voice of Tong, was an exciting climax for a great journey, made a huge impression on young me.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw my vote in to the ending of Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals:

https://youtu.be/ehJ7rf2tuQU

Your four heroes (Maxim, Selan, Guy, and Artea) finally confront and defeat the Sinistrals. By combining their energies, they blast the Sinistrals energy (seemingly) defeating them for good. This last blast takes Artea's sight, Guy is fine, Maxim is shook, but Selan...well, the resulting blast went right through her, and she gets to have one final moment with Maxim (her husband) before she dies. In a one final "Fuck you good guys" moment, the head honcho set a crashing path of the floating island they fought on straight towards Maxim and Selan's home where their baby son is being taken care of while Maxim and Selan were off saving the world. In a last ditch effort, Maxim uses the last of his own life energy to correct the course of the island to crash in the ocean, and succumbs to his injuries. Their son is left an orphan because his parents sacrificed themselves to save the world. The music is epic, somber, uplifting, and tear jerking all at once.

This hit me hard as a kid. It was the first time a video game made me cry. As a parent right now, it makes me weepy just thinking of it. I can't think of many (if any) other RPGs that have such a bitter-sweet ending such as Lufia 2. An incredible RPG through and through.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Another for ME3

Mordins sacrifice

Also the Citadel DLC (happy tears)

Would have cried at Tali's suicide but I could never do that to her even playing renegade

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I can't choose so here you go :

The true ending of Chrono Cross made me cry and sob for a whole evening

It's an emotional ending, but the Tidus / Jecht moment just moved me so much. I'm a sucker for the stories about father / son relationship that get mended at the end.

The moment when the brothers say good bye before the true final boss... That was something.

Last edited:

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I have more, but the ones that came to mind immediately we're both from NieR:A

After Pascal lost his memory, you can go and visit him in the forest town. There, he's confused, but will act as a shop keeper and sell you the remains of the children robots that he tried desperately to save no longer aware of what they are. Really broke me honestly.

On a more positive not, I still get chills whenever I remember:

"I have come to the conclusion that I can not accept this resolution."

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Terranigma's ending just bummed me out

So did the goat scene somewhere in the middle

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I probably have one nobody else will choose:

20-hrwln6.jpg

Katrina's Sacrifice in Quest for Glory 4. The whole combination of the story, the music, the entire ending sequence and the whole relationship you have with all of the characters made this incredibly emotional for me. Then the satisfaction you feel when you defeat Ad Avis, especially the satisfaction you hear in the narrator's voice. It always gives me chills.

It helps that it's a game where you insert yourself as the main character, I have a hard time feeling emotional in other games like the Witcher 3 where you're just watching somebody else's story play out.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The ending of Terranigma really gets to me... Damn, it's really the first time I realized how great story writing in games could be.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very recently DQXI

When you go back in time and saying goodbye to everyone, even though you know you're going to see them again. I got sad... :( The amazing music that plays (when you use the orchestral mod) also didn't help either. Great moment

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
For me, it is running over the mountains right after the Costa Del Sol area in FF7. There is rationale:

At this point, you've just been put through *a lot* of major story beats, presented in a fashion where you have had your open world freedom of movement ripped away for the first time since gaining it post Midgar. All of a sudden, you're free again, able to reflect on everything that has happened previously. A combination of that and the wistful music that plays as you climb up into the sunset really hits a spot

It might seem weird, but this for me as well. I can't even put my finger on it, but it's the atmosphere of the place, the music, the nostalgia for my youth. Altogether it hits me right in the feels more than any other scene in the ff series. It's not even a super dramatic cutscene or anything. But yeah, it's this one.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I know a lot of people have mentioned Final Fantasy X's ending, but this is my pick:

9c20f68c7baadd22928a6ee415ef564e.jpg