• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Witcher 3
Finding Ciri - after reading the whole saga, that scene was just too much for me.. at that time a 28-year old guy :D

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Very recently DQXI

When you go back in time and saying goodbye to everyone, even though you know you're going to see them again. I got sad... :( The amazing music that plays (when you use the orchestral mod) also didn't help either. Great moment

Hold up. I just finished DQXI last night. Literally 'The End' shows. I stopped reading almost immediately in your spoiler and I NEVER DID THAT WTF?!

Sev

Oct 27, 2017
The ending of Trails in the Sky: SC's chapter 6. It's the furthest thing from a sad moment, but it's probably the most emotional a game has made me feel period.

Estelle: "Dad! Why are you home? I thought you were stuck at the base with Army business?!?"

Cassius: "My, you're up early today!"

*screen door creaks open*

This was an amazing moment too. Just the opening notes of that song immediately tug at my heartstrings.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Mass Effect 3:
Mordin's sacrifice had me BAWLING. "Would have liked to run tests on seashells."
Also Mass Effect 3:
Thane's death also had me crying.

If Mass Effect 3 doesn't count:
I don't care!

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

man leaving the island at the end left me with a bitter sweet feeling.

immediately went out and bought all the other games in the series tho!

this is ys 8 btw

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 6. Halfway trough. I have never seen a FF game get as dark in its story development as this.
1464671837091.png

Celes' attempted suicide.
Why everyone keeps talking about the opera sequence in this game is something I will never understand. It was just a foreshadowing of this event, and its here it reaches its climax.

Man, I never even realized that the opera was foreshadowing. My mind is blown, you are totally right. God FF6 was so good.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It amazes me how you people can get so caught up in JRPGs. They all seem so cheesy and on the nose. More power to you, though.

I would say the main quest in Hearts of Stone in TW3 was pretty emotional for me. A surprisingly mature and touching story, considering the subject material.
Mother f'er I can cry during a Geico commercial. Lol

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I remember beating P3P and getting sad because it meant my time with Junpei was over.
It was the first time I felt such a connection to video game characters. Beating it remains my most emotional moment in a JRPG

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play that many RPGs, but FF7's ending was just...

200.gif

Beautiful, made me feel so many things at once.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does feeling of betrayal count? If so then Cold Steel:
HVIdJKQ.jpg

Crow is legit like one of the best and funniest "bro" type characters I've seen in an RPG. He really feels like your best friend..... until you realize he has been playing you all along and he is the bad guy you were looking for the entire game.

That slow realization that Crow isn't here on that last day and then seeing him being the one behind the mask really caught me off guard in the best way possible. This is one of the reasons why I love Cold Steel so much.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The endings of the 1st and 2nd Pokemon Mystery Dungeons hit me hard as a youngling.
Nowadays pretty much nothing but Pixar movies get me to shed a single tear.

Edit: Somebody mentioned DQXI, How could I forget
What happened to Veronica in the second arc. No tears tho, but I was devastated. Best character, followed by Sylvando. Even the 3rd act changing time felt like a cheap cop out, becuase nobody felt like the same character due to their character development being destroyed.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the end of Mother 3.
ClausDeathLast3.png
And if Fire Emblem counts as an 'RPG', I was bawling my eyes out at the end of all three routes of Fates. Especially Birthright.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
So many... off the top of my head:

Mass Effect: Discovering the true threat of the Reaper. Chilling stuff. Also the end battle at the Citadel was incredible.

Mass Effect 2: Romancing Tali and all that feels and fuzziness that entails.

Mass Effect 3: The scene in Citadel with the whole crew in front of Normandy. Fuck that hits hard. Also when the whole cavalry phasing in to Earth to do final battle with the Reapers, fuck that was amazing.

Xenosaga 3: Allen's Sacrifice. Tears flowing down. The ending. A certain character's death. So many, too many to count.

Suikoden 2: The whole events surrounding the games' true ending. It's amazing and very beautifully told/shown, and concludes the story of relationship between the three main characters in such captivating, beautiful way.

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarters: The whole ending sequence, my God, the whole ending sequence.

Tales of Berseria: When Velvet at the deepest point of despair and Laphicet pulled her out from there. Beautiful scene, amazing voice work.

Witcher 3: When Geralt finally found Ciri inside that shack.

Dragon Age Inquisition: The fall of the first base and subsequent move to the real base. That whole event from the beginning to end was so incredibly mesmerizing. Also, the end of Trespasser, particularly considering who my character is romancing.

Dragon Age Origins: becoming the King of Thedas after defeating the Arch-demon.

So many....

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Rex and Poppi

This scene guts me. Poppi's growth as a character and how heartbroken she is kills me. This sweet little robot girl! ; - ;

Honestly? The game has a lot of these moments, what a beautiful game and fantastic cast. There's so many kinds of feels this game gives you. Hype, anger, sadness-- it's fantastic.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Rex and Poppi

This scene guts me. Poppi's growth as a character and how heartbroken she is kills me. This sweet little robot girl! ; - ;

Honestly? The game has a lot of these moments, what a beautiful game and fantastic cast. There's so many kinds of feels this game gives you. Hype, anger, sadness-- it's fantastic.

The games writing is pretty great, and it's cast is amazingly lovable. The big thing is how sexualised the blades are, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Designs for non-blades are great though (except Rex). I guess it's a direct consequence of using guest designers exclusively for the blades.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games writing is pretty great, and it's cast is amazingly lovable. The big thing is how sexualised the blades are, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Designs for non-blades are great though (except Rex). I guess it's a direct consequence of using guest designers exclusively for the blades.

Yeah, it's glaring, and odd as I totally see past it throughout the game. There are a lot of sexualized designs but not a lot of "sex"? I think that's why it eventually becomes so normal that it's jarring in and of itself. I wont defend a lot of it on it's own merits though, there is a lot of improvement to be made for a lot of them :/

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot actually, namely the FF titles.

Here's one of them: Final Fantasy XV's ending

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting pretty emotional at the end of FF7 Crisis Core.

The last few minutes of the game and last CGI were really really good.

original.gif
Yup, the first game that ever made me cry. And this was when I was a teen, which is also pretty amazing, I don't think I was as emotionally developed as I am right now.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Dragon Quest V, one of the greatest jRPG's of all time, had many tear-jerking scenes.

When Pankraz gets killed by Ladja trying to protect the Hero.
When the hero gets turned into stone for many years and his kids discover him.
When the hero goes back in time and tells his younger self to take care of his father, knowing full well that he'll soon die.

And of course, I have to mention Trails in the Sky SC when,

Estelle and Joshua are reunited and embrace.
When Loewe dies after saving the party, and Joshua says goodbye to him.

Trails in the Sky Third Chapter when,

Kevin's sad, tragic past is revealed.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden V - Escaping Falena
Suikoden III - Talking with Yun {spoiler] before her sacrifice [/spoiler]
Lost Odyssey - "Don't forget me now, you hear?" story
FFXIV - End of 2.55; cut scene after The Vault, 3.3 Nidhogg battle and story, 3.4 Titan Side story

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I forgot one in my list: Final Fantasy IX, that moment with Vivi and the Black Mage and the airship. That music at that moment. The feels.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Thought the Mother 3 chapter 6 was so beautiful and understated.

And the "best ending" of Suikoden 2
latest

As well as Cecil finally becoming a Paladin

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
It amazes me how you people can get so caught up in JRPGs. They all seem so cheesy and on the nose. More power to you, though.

I would say the main quest in Hearts of Stone in TW3 was pretty emotional for me. A surprisingly mature and touching story, considering the subject material.

Cheesiness doesn't necessarily mean bad, as much as some people like to diminish it. Nothing wrong with getting caught up in it every now and then, I actually prefer stuff that's "cheesy" and earnest over the opposite, which is the stuff that tries overly hard to be detached and unemotional.

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
I don't know too much about feels, I think most feels related hasn't been from RPGs but maybe from games like Metal Gear Solid 3 or something. RPG wise I think I tend mostly look for funny or otherwise involving situations. Curiosity plays a big part. Probably Fallout 2 has been most intensive in the feels regard, getting involved and laughing and really reading and examining the world carefully. Other example altough not RPG but an adventure game, would be Bladerunner (1997) and Monkey Island games. Campiness is huge thing too.

Xenoblade 2's Poppi's introduction was both funny and made me feel somewhat sad for the robot but this was entirely because of her face and that little hat she wears. I felt as she was trapped by this annoying thing against her will and brainwashed. I don't know why it brought that reaction but at first this was surprisingly strong and unexpected. I believe the character probably resembles someone in real life and I subconsciously recognized her. Otherwise the game is mostly just quite annoying and the short moment of sadness was not expected at all.

I think I keep gaming in a mental box and as such it doesn't reach out too much because "it is just a game" and tend to be fascinated with mechanics and world creation instead of how the characters look or act unless it hinders the game otherwise. I seek to be amazed and engrossed by functions of the game world. This is also why certain cinematic experiences are not for me in this sense - I prefer to watch movies instead because it's so much easier to connect with real humans on emotional level. Life is an illusion and with movies we are watching illusion of an illusion. Not completely sure what I'm saying here.

Last edited:

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Persona 3 Ending.

The school ceremony scene where they all started to remember.. so much feels

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
45c.gif

I dunno, for some reason this tugged at my heartstrings when I was a kiddo and despite the fact that KH1 hasn't really aged well in my opinion, it still manages to do it. I love the song here too.

^ yup. KH story is one has never been topped. Introduction of the black-coated org XIII was awesome and II did a lot of things right, but Sora hitting puberty (think HJO is terrible VA now imo) and the story being laughably over the top now. Chain of memories was a close second in interesting story and stuff. But kingdom hearts, that ending, the awesome CGI, and the incredible (and best) Utada Hikaru/kh song and i teared up like a baby.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw my vote in to the ending of Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals:

https://youtu.be/ehJ7rf2tuQU

Your four heroes (Maxim, Selan, Guy, and Artea) finally confront and defeat the Sinistrals. By combining their energies, they blast the Sinistrals energy (seemingly) defeating them for good. This last blast takes Artea's sight, Guy is fine, Maxim is shook, but Selan...well, the resulting blast went right through her, and she gets to have one final moment with Maxim (her husband) before she dies. In a one final "Fuck you good guys" moment, the head honcho set a crashing path of the floating island they fought on straight towards Maxim and Selan's home where their baby son is being taken care of while Maxim and Selan were off saving the world. In a last ditch effort, Maxim uses the last of his own life energy to correct the course of the island to crash in the ocean, and succumbs to his injuries. Their son is left an orphan because his parents sacrificed themselves to save the world. The music is epic, somber, uplifting, and tear jerking all at once.

This hit me hard as a kid. It was the first time a video game made me cry. As a parent right now, it makes me weepy just thinking of it. I can't think of many (if any) other RPGs that have such a bitter-sweet ending such as Lufia 2. An incredible RPG through and through.

It's the prologue to Lufia 1, and brought up constantly in that game. That it still hits hard after playing through Maxim's journey is a testament to the development team.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
DQ XI, the first visit to the ruins of drungdasil
Yeah - great pick.
I love Rab because of this, he's a very well written character. Dragon quest games seem silly to people because of the monster designs and art style , but I find the dramatic and emotional moments all the more powerful because you don't expect that.

My other choice would be Earthbound. When you go to "your sanctuary " the text and the little melodies never fail to make my eyes water a little. The feeling of nostalgia and the warm memories is very particular to that game.