• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
After five-and-a-half faithful years, I figured it was time to retire my Smash-themed 3DS XL, what with the Circle Pad worn and corroded from intense Smash 4 play (the absent rubber I can deal with, but there's notable input delay now.). Of course, I couldn't just abandon all the eShop games and DLC I hoarded on the little handheld, and off I went to search for a suitable New 3DS replacement for a System Transfer.

Good news? I found a pristine used SNES-themed New 3DS during an NYC trip last fall. A perfect successor! Bad news? I need to replace the new sysem's microSD card (my original 3DS uses a 32gb card), and I discovered one must remove the New 3DS's backplate to access its SD card, which requires a screwdriver. I have a few choice words for Nintendo about that particular design choice (the stress of a stripped screw!), but for the sake of time, let's observe what we're dealing with here.

ERE6zRKWoAAKdFU

The two screws and a Phillips #00 Screwdriver – the closest I have to Nintendo's recommended size (a #0). As you may've already noticed, the right screw's (the second pic) a tad more worn, and was more stubborn than the left-side screw. As I understand it, one only needs to loosen the screws as opposed to removing them completely, but it's looking likely I'm using the wrong screwdriver. Since I'm at a loss, I figured I'd turn to ERA. Any advice?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
you need a tiny fucken phillips head

you can get cheap sets with a bunch of tiny and rare bits, like torx and stars and everything

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
www.ifixit.com

Nintendo 3DS XL 2015 Teardown

Nintendo's newest 3DS XL is literally called the *New* 3DS XL, but just how new is it? We'll have to tear it open to really find out. Looking for...

you just need a tiny phillips screwdriver. I fix tech all the time so I am used to having a bunch. But there are many sets you can buy online. I bought mine from ifixit though because they usually are pretty well made. (I also never completely screw that cover over the sd card in all the way cause I hate having to remove mine...)

Oct 29, 2017
Just a normal phillips head screwdriver will do the job.

Just make sure it's the right size.

Note that it doesn't actually come out completely, but rather you just need to loosen it. It's very very easy to do.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I understand what your asking. You need a #0 Phillips head screwdriver, like Nintendo said. Any brand will do.

It'll probably be fine even with the stripped screw.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Lucky its not a triwing screw...I don't even think they sell those screwdrivers in stores.

OP
OP
MrSaturn99

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'm not sure I understand what your asking. You need a #0 Phillips head screwdriver, like Nintendo said. Any brand will do.

It'll probably be fine even with the stripped screw.

You just need the one Nintendo recommended?

Strange thread. No pun intended.

I like having options -- while you could say that feeds into my stress with how many suggestions there are, I prefer research and seeking counsel before committing to a purchase such as this.

Regardless, I'll probably go with the #0 in the end; thanks for whoever suggested Ifixit.

Most of the time, the need for a screwdriver can pretty time sensitive.

What cases would those be?