What sequel to a game you liked have you never played? Why?

malyse

Community Resetter
I loved Bravely Default. I love the sequel tease at the end. I didn't even get annoyed by the one thing everyone complained about (no spoilers). I have never played Bravely Second. Why? Well, when it launched I plum forgot it. And when I remembered it, I was already in Switch hype mode and not interested in 3DS games. And now I'm just hoping a Bravely Collection comes to Switch.

Oct 29, 2017
Devil May Cry 2 and DmC. I think they were both developed by devs other than the original Devil May Cry teams and they didn't get the best reviews. Also looking at the story catchup video on DMC5 it looks like those games aren't really canon (well atleast nothing important happens in 2) so I was right for skipping them.

Oct 27, 2017
Hm... I haven't played Shadow Hearts: From the New World yet, even though I loved the two other games. Obviously it isn't as acclaimed as Covenant, but iirc, it's still considered a good game (and I'll get around to it eventually).

Oct 27, 2017
Deus Ex Mankind Divided, the sequel to Human Revolution

Just hearing how a lot of it was a lateral shift rather than a true improvement, along with that "Augs Lives Matter" stuff and the clumsy parallel to real life examples of oppression kept me from getting invested.

I love cyberpunk stuff, but I'm not that desperate for any.

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime 2. Loved the first one, but just felt like I had my fill already.

What else... No, I think that's it. Normally if I really like a game, I try out the sequel.

Edit: Oh oops, I also skipped Triforce Heroes, the sequels to Box Boy, Pushmo, Picross etc etc, simply because I didn't like the 3DS and moved on from it early on.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
MGS5 because of how divisive it's been. I legit caught up on the whole series in anticipation for 5 and just haven't played. I definitely wanna get around to it at some point, though, especially since I have it via ps plus.

Apr 12, 2018
I've never played FFXII. I was hyped about all the preview material. The art was amazing. I thought it was gonna be an almost IX-like nostalgia trip, with a plucky sky pirate hero out on an adventure.

But then I heard that the "hero" from the previews is obnoxious and not even the primary protagonist, the story is basically Star Wars, and the combat is MMO-lite and... wellp. Word from the community dissuaded me from it. It just sounds bland. I at least tried XIII, because the extreme hate for it at least made me curious.

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout Vegas. Loved Fallout 3 but played it for nearly 200hrs so I was burned out.

I'm almost never interested in remasters but I'd definitely take a look at Vegas if it was re released

Oct 27, 2017
I can think of dozens of examples, but the first the sprung to mind was Tomb Raider 2.

I was just having this conversation with someone the other day: sometimes I can love something - a season of TV, a movie, a game - but in a weird way it totally satisfies me or scratches the itch and I have zero interest in returning to it. Like, I loved season 1 of House of Cards but that was enough. I love Tomb Raider but that was enough. I liked Ant-Man and didn't care about seeing the follow up. etc etc etc

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Viewtiful Joe 2. Heard it was a big letdown from a friend that loved the first one as much as I did.
Viewtiful Joe 2 is still very good. Highly encourage you to play it.

One for me is Resident Evil 7. 6 was so bad and 5 was such a disappointment after 4 that I had zero interest even after massive acclaim and seeing it return to the series roots.

Jun 16, 2018
I love Chrono Trigger but the sequel Chrono Cross seems like it has little to do with the first game and doesn't have the same characters and battle system that I loved. I really don't feel any urge to play it since it seems to be a sequel in name only.

Jan 2, 2018
It still bugs me that Corvo has a voice in Dishonored 2. That's not the reason why I've not played it yet, but it's just a bit weird. The silent protagonist worked really well in the first game.

Oct 22, 2018
I've never played Okamiden, Fallout 76, and TLOZ: Triforce Heroes.

Okamiden I'm interested in playing, I'll go back to some day, Fallout 76 I'm waiting on in hopes it gets further improved, and I just dont care about Triforce Heroes.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Basically my life in gaming. There are certain games I love, but had enough of them. Usually I play them, enjoy them, eventually do a replay but I am not interested in a sequel. Games like:
-Dark Souls
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-FFXIII-2 (actually I was hyped for part 3 but didn't like the direction it got)
-Lost Planet
-Rayman Origins
-Assassin's Creed post Ezio Trilogy
-Unravel

And many more I can't remember now but it happens all the time. Actually I miss the times when a sequel were really rare and you had to wait years and years for it.

Disclaimer: My OCD forces me to buy all the sequels eventually, only to sit in my "games I have but will never play" list.

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Mega Man 1-10. I haven't touched 11 yet.

Mega Man X7 is the only one in the X series I didn't play. It looked really bad.

Suikoden Tierkreis is another one. I love the Suikoden series, probably my favorite JRPG ever, but with this being a completely new story with zero connection to the previous games was a huge turn off for me.

Jan 8, 2019
I love Chrono Trigger but the sequel Chrono Cross seems like it has little to do with the first game and doesn't have the same characters and battle system that I loved. I really don't feel any urge to play it since it seems to be a sequel in name only.
Same, I adore Chrono Trigger but have zero interest in Cross. Listened to the soundtrack though and it's great, that's about all I want from it.