• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I am more disappointed with a sequel to a franchise (that i dearly loved) as I am with Uncharted 4. It still stings! I feel that ND's success with story telling in TLOU, and unjustified criticism that Drake is a maniacal killer, led them down a path where they sacrificed continued action (which the series was known and loved for) and good pacing for telling a story no one wanted.

Instead what we got was endless conversation annexed to endless walking and climbing, set pieces that soon end as soon as they get going and periods where there is no action at all. Worst yet, the ending. You're given one battle, then its nothing but climbing and walking for 20 minutes then a crappy sword battle. Urghh.

That was not the next gen Uncharted I expected or wanted!

What is yours?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4 is a tremendous pile. I could go on and on and on about how wack Fallout 4 is compared to its predecessors. Can't get excited for BGS games moving forward.

Mass Effect Andromeda and Mirror's Edge Catalyst are probably worse, but Fallout 4 makes me a little sad any time whenever I think about it... because Fallout 4 represents the downfall of every single BGS franchise I ever loved. I don't think Fallout will ever be a great franchise again. I don't think Elder Scrolls will be, either. Starfield's gonna be an action game with 'RPG elements' (and crappy writing/quest design), book it.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Mass effect Andromeda and Fallout 4, I think Andromeda was a better addition to its franchise though. Fallout 4 ruined the fallout formula and was more on an action game with yes no but really yes choices then a real rpg.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Probably MGSV because it didn't feel finished. Chapter 51 and the konami disaster look like it affected the game. Oh it was a good game that why's the dissapointment was stronger because it could have been all time great IMO.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Mirrors Edge Catalyst.

Honestly it's still a pretty okay game, but if they actually built on the structure of ME1 with confined, tight level design, it could have been incredible. Instead, they made the game open world and added a skill tree for basically no reason and the gameplay totally suffers for it. The idea of a Mirror's Edge sequel seemed nearly impossible for a while, and to go into this direction instead of fixing what was wrong with ME1 was a real bummer.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Mass Effect Andromeda, and specifically MGSV's story.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda by a mile.
Mirrors Edge Catalyst.

Honestly it's still a pretty okay game, but if they actually built on the structure of ME1 with confined, tight level design, it could have been incredible. Instead, they made the game open world and added a skill tree for basically no reason and the gameplay totally suffers for it. The idea of a Mirror's Edge sequel seemed nearly impossible for a while, and to go into this direction instead of fixing what was wrong with ME1 was a real bummer.
Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Mass Effect Andromeda, and specifically MGSV's story.
Wasn't Mirror's Edge Catalyst a reboot rather than a sequel?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda by a mile.

Wasn't Mirror's Edge Catalyst a reboot rather than a sequel?

I guess so! But I just wanted a new Mirror's Edge, I didn't mind what form it took.

But turns out that game just wasn't quite as good as the original, not even really close. The original still holds a special place in my heart.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Its ME:A, easily. Took a flaming shit on a beloved yet still uneven trilogy, and dirtied it's memory.

I like Uncharted 4, but damn I can't disagree with your points. It doubled down on the worst of TLOU, which is still far more replayable..

It also has me worried for TLOU2

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly have to echo Andromeda, love ME 2/3 and was hyped for it only to end up hating it after two hours.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-logo.jpg

Nothing comes close for me.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mass Effect Andromeda felt so shorted on the tone and aesthetics and budget. It was what I wanted most on this gen and then we finally got it and it wasn't at all Mass Effect.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 4 due to the lesser RPG mechanics and underwhelming world

Still sunk hundreds of hours into it

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I am more disappointed with a sequel to a franchise (that i dearly loved) as I am with Uncharted 4. It still stings! I feel that ND's success with story telling in TLOU, and unjustified criticism that Drake is a maniacal killer, led them down a path where they sacrificed continued action (which the series was known and loved for) and good pacing for telling a story no one wanted.

Instead what we got was endless conversation annexed to endless walking and climbing, set pieces that soon end as soon as they get going and periods where there is no action at all. Worst yet, the ending. You're given one battle, then its nothing but climbing and walking for 20 minutes then a crappy sword battle. Urghh.

That was not the next gen Uncharted I expected or wanted!

What is yours?

oh man, can some people stop acting as the representatives of a franchise.

to answer the question
for me it was probably Final Fantasy XV due the enormous hype i had for it

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Red Dead Redemption 2. I still liked it overall, but it was for me a 7 where the previous entry was a 10.

Andromeda is up there too.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade chronicles 2. Was a huge disappointment for me unfortunately

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 and Batman: Arkham Knight.

RDR2 due to how woefully outdated it is mechanically and with its game design, despite being on the cutting-edge in most other respects. What it did well made it all the more disappointing that I didn't enjoy the bulk of my time playing it. Batman for being lackluster across the board except for its visuals, and Rocksteady's continued unhealthy obsession with the Joker after several games which had too much of the character already.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I was a big Metal Gear fan and haven't even touched 5...
ME Andromeda was a huge let down.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5.

After the amazing P3 and an improved gameplay sequel, Persona 5 came. And oh boy, what a letdown it was. Only memorable characters are Futaba, Makoto and Joker. Dungeons, despite not being random generated, are long and boring as hell. Storywise, it isn't that interesting; party members development continues being locked behind social links. Some twists were predictable. And really hated how Morgana had too much control of your life. And don't get me started with Atlus homophobia.

At least the soundtrack is great. And it is quite stylish.

Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda.

And I don't even hate the game itself as much as some people do. But this game had a lot riding on it, and to whiff like it did, had dire consequences for the whole series' future prospects. That hurts.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even dislike Andromeda but when you go from one of the highest rated franchises of all time to something decidedly less so, it's gonna feel like a big drop. That being said, I do think it's still a fun game, just not one quite worthy of its legacy. It would have been much better received as a new IP, imo.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Probably MGSV because it didn't feel finished. Chapter 51 and the konami disaster look like it affected the game. Oh it was a good game that why's the dissapointment was stronger because it could have been all time great IMO.
pretty much my answer like my only complaints stem from not being finished its an amazing game but it needed more bosses that were unique and a proper finale

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Dead Rising 3 and 4. They lost a lot of the elements that made the series what it was in the gen jump, with 3 making survivors almost a footnote with the timer being either almost non existence or way too strict all while adding a pointless open world that broke the flow the first two games had. And 4 just threw out even more and even got rid of the psychopath bosses all while recasting Frank for no reason at all.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Gravity Rush 2. Had the time of my life on GR for Vita, but the filler quest/anime trope nature of the sequel was a huge downer for me. Haven't even felt compelled to actually finish the game.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
MGS5 - super solid Ubigame with some standout moments but clearly unfinished, too many repetitive filler missions and not enough focus on the story. Not at all what I wanted from MGS as a fan since 1.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: gacha, misogyny, bad mission design, bad story, bad character art. Saving graces are the OST and landscapes
  • MGSV: terrible map, awful story, misogyny

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-logo.jpg

Nothing comes close for me.

This for me too...
couldn't even finish it. It felt unpolished and I don't just mean the missing chapter:
  • The repetitive missions
  • Lack of captivating villain team/squad (MGS had Foxhound, MGS 2 had Dead Cell, MGS3 had Cobra Unit, MGS4 had B&B Unit, even PW had the Metal Gear variants and Rising had the cyborg bosses)
  • An out of nowhere antagonist
  • Lack of Hayter
  • Bipedal MG design that seemed more advanced than MGS which seemed odd
  • Microtransation FOB mess
  • Offline base invasion
  • Barely speaking protag
I guess those are small issues to some, but they hurt the experience for me.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Andromeda no doubt.

Though your OP made me sad because I remember all the good times I had with the Uncharted series last gen, all "omfg" moments like fighting my way along a train or in a collapsing building. I barely remember anything from UC4 except crawling in grass.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Ni No Kuni 2 really broke my heart. Loved the first game but between the minimal cinematics/voiceover and brick wall side quests, I dropped the game after about 10 hours. Really felt like a "straight-to-video" sequel of a brilliant game.

MGS V is a tough one because the core gameplay is a 10/10 for me but the story is absolutely nothing and the repetitive missions were exactly what I feared. Amazing sandbox, but so empty.