• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I just watched this video from The Completionist:

And made me remember how much I love the Golden Sun series. The amount of interesting puzzles, skills and customization that it delivered was insane, especially considering that it was done in just the very first entry. I would love to see the franchise again.

That being said, I'm not sure if I trust Camelot at handling the series again considering what has been happening with some of their recent games. However, I'm pretty sure that they at least could deliver a solid experience if they decide to remake the first two games in one single package since they were originally going to be a single game anyway, is just that the GBA limitations forced them to separate them.

What I would love in a possible remake of GS and TLA is:

No more random encounters: We're way past such clunky RPG designs and I believe that it was one of the reasons why Dark Dawn was considered dated even at the time it was released. Visible enemies should be the norm.

No more "points of no return": These were present in the first two entries but it was especially obnoxious in DD since you could miss important stuff like Djinns and Summons. The world should be completely free to explore without fear of losing anything.

Go full 3D: I think this should be the next step in the franchise. DD kinda played with the idea but as most things in that game, it didn't execute it properly. The world of Weyard could be way more interesting to explore if it was depicted in the same vein as Dragon Quest XI, I'm not even asking worldbuilding like in the Xenoblade Chronicles, just give me a small but dense setting to travel.

Basically be a reboot: This should be obvious since I'm asking for a remake after all but what I mean is that I want this to be a proper jumping on point for newcomers and launch the new direction for the series. That way we can ignore the less interesting events like Dark Dawn and its obnoxious cliffhanger that probably won't ever be continued anyway.

So, what do you think? What would you want for the future of the Golden Sun series?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A game that ends on a satisfying, non-cliffhanger ending would be a good start.

Also if they could actually do something with Alex like, say, letting us fight him that's be cool too.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Existence. I just want the next entry to exist.

But seriously, remakes of the first two would go a long way

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Sun thread?

Music time.

But I echo most: a remake of the first two games would be the logical first step. There's no reason this series shouldn't be as popular as Fire Emblem.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Drum up interest by slipping in cameos and references in other non-GS games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Golden Sun is forever dead. the effort needed to bring it back would be used to make a whole new RPG series.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Is it okay to say nothing? Was fine with this series ending after the second game but would be interested to see Camelot make another JRPG

Remake the first two games to lead into a heavily reworked version of Dark Dawn. It's been almost a decade since DD came out to terrible critical reception.

No matter what direction is taken, Camelot needs to get much better writers that follow the quality > quantity mantra.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if there's a place for Golden Sun anymore. Any game would end up being compared to Xenoblade, and I don't think Camelot could reach those expectations.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Golden Sun is dead, it's a shame. It carried the "JRPG with puzzle-heavy dungeons" torch after Lufia 2.

The only question is, what JRPG will continue that legacy now?

Lufia 2 -> Golden Sun -> ???

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making a whole new RPG series would take more time since the groundwork for GS is already there.
I think rebooting the series would effectively mean starting from scratch. if the series had a graceful ending, maybe, but the last game bombed and they didn't bother closing it out during times where costs were lower

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do not think Golden Sun has much value to warrant a reboot against just a new JRPG franchise.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. Nintendo these days are not into reviving older franchises. They'd rather create new IPs like Astral Chain or Arms. I don't expect them to revive anything at all for Switch.

OP
OP
Comic Obsessed
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't know if there's a place for Golden Sun anymore. Any game would end up being compared to Xenoblade, and I don't think Camelot could reach those expectations.
Again, Golden Sun doesn't need the world in the same scale as the XC series. It just needs a small but packed with dungeons and puzzles one.

I think rebooting the series would effectively mean starting from scratch. if the series had a graceful ending, maybe, but the last game bombed and they didn't bother closing it out during times where costs were lower
The Switch is pretty much revitalizing every single Nintendo franchise and I'm pretty sure that GS would follow suit. Plus, a remake would basically follow the story of the original so there's that.

If Square Enix can remake Mana (which has never been one of the best selling series, especially in recent times) then Nintendo can remake Golden Sun.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do you really think that "It has good puzzles" is going to be something that commercially gives a boost to a JRPG today? The market has evolved in an opposite direction.

Aug 12, 2019
Literally anything is what should be next for Golden Sun. The series just has to come back in some form that isn't just an Isaac Assist Trophy in Ultimate.

But I do think something that takes on beautiful sprites like Octopath did, with a more competent and well designed game than we saw in Dark Dawn, could potentially bring the series back out of hibernation for a little while and sell decently. As long as they don't release a title right before the console's big successor comes along and they properly market it and it has the quality to back up that push, we could reasonaby see it's return.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What, you REALLY think people don't like dungeons and puzzles?
I think at least there are millions of people who have continued to buy JRPG without caring about the lack of puzzles.

I am not sure there is a market for a JRPG where its main differentiating element is "It has puzzles". Other than that Golden Sun is extremely vanilla.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Golden Sun Tactics because I don't see Shining Force making a comeback any time soon.

OP
OP
Comic Obsessed
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I think at least there are millions of people who have continued to buy JRPG without caring about the lack of puzzles.

I am not sure there is a market for a JRPG where its main differentiating element is "It has puzzles". Other than that Golden Sun is extremely vanilla.
Well, I don't really understand how people can not consider that a selling point.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Love the series but I think it needs nothing short of a miracle to come back. There's been no rumblings at all about it for years.

Would love to be wrong though