• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Are you in Australia OP?
If you are willing to give up the love and companionship of another, over something as trivial as someone telling you to "grow up" then I have more room in my apartment and heart for a furry friend in need.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
You do know what happens to most cats that are given to shelters, right? They don't get adopted and then they're euthanized.

Running away from responsibilities isn't being grown up. People here are pointing this out as getting rid of the cat isn't the answer to OPs problems.
That's exactly why I suggested putting up a post at his school or job where he will hopefully get someone that he knows and/or is responsible, and willing to take in a new pet into their homes. I never suggested a shelter (since it's the obvious "go-to" answer),and I feel that OP knows as well, hence the thread being made to ask for alternative options lol.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You realize that people are reacting the way they are because of your title right? It's a pretty bad phrasing that makes it sound like your cat is some kind of problem that needs to be removed instead of a living being.

And you didn't answer my question. How long are you away from your pet a day?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No you can't. Cats need attention and love, maybe not as much as a dog, but they still do. You just can't "leave them alone". You need to spend some time with them.

If you really feel like you can't give it the attention it needs try a friend or relative. If not, as others have mentioned try to find a no-kill shelter.
I mean you ain't gotta mind it every minute, they're not super needy is all.

I don't wanna sound like a dick, like the op and say emotionally abandon the cat, that'd be terrible.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
This is quite the thread backfire haha

OP, I think you keeping the cat would probably be more beneficial to you than not. Cats are super low maintenance and can make great companions. I know my cat, Shiek, has definitely helped me with my mental health.

But if you must, try to either find a close friend who you trust, or last resort a no kill shelter.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Btw op you said in the other thread that you are 20. I was a lech, total jobless fuckup till like 22, dropping out of college and then taking like 5 years to finish a 3 year career.

These things... they take time... if you can find a way of give yourself time and work it out slowly, dont go taking drastic measures like crazy

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize that people are reacting the way they are because of your title right? It's a pretty bad phrasing that makes it sound like your cat is some kind of problem that needs to be removed instead of a living being.

And you didn't answer my question. How long are you away from your pet a day?
With both school and work, I could be away for maybe 14 hours

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Pets aren't toys that you just toss aside or throw away when they aren't convenient, not longer "small and cute", etc.. it's why so many cats and dogs end up in shelters often leading to being euthanized. It's horrible.

You are being very hostile OP and not helping your case at all, poor cat :(

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Poor cat.
You better not abandon it.

Kind of lame you'd adopt a pet without thinking it through

You find someone to take ownership of the cat, or you take it to a shelter where it will likely be killed.

So, in all likelihood, that cat is going to die, congrats!

EDIT

And how the fuck is "getting your shit together' not compatible with 'taking care of a relatively low maintenance pet'?

that seems like the complete opposite of growing up

Not going to quote everyone, but these posts are ridiculous. Who do you think y'all are acting so high and mighty?

OP can't take care of his pet any more and is asking for advice, absolutely no need for this.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Well OP, If you want a bunch of holier than thou responses I suppose this is the right place to ask your question.

Try asking a friend or family to look after your cat though if that's not an option try posting a picture on a neighborhood app explaining you're looking for a new home for him/her.

Basically, Google searching your question is much much better than asking here with all those asshat responses. Wow.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
He's gonna end up being neglected and miserable, but hey, as long as I follow through on raising him through huh?

You think I want this? No, I fucking dont, but he deserves better.

I had 4 cats all while working 32 hours per week, going to gradaute school FT and maintaining a 4.0 average. I now run a business and have 3 of those 4 cats, I had to put one to sleep earlier this year due to cancer or else I would still have 4.

Growing up my parents worked FT+, had 2 kids and we always had 2+ cats, multiple parrots, a rabbit and various amounts of small aninals.

Growing up means taking care of your responsibilities and not giving them to someone else.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna post the gif of Rafiki throwing Simba off Pride Rock with the comment "YEET" under it, put I didn't want to get a warning so yeah don't abandon your cat or whatever

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pets aren't toys that you just toss aside or throw away when they aren't convenient, not longer "small and cute", etc.. it's why so many cats and dogs end up in shelters often leading to being euthanized. It's horrible.

You are being very hostile OP and not helping your case at all, poor cat :(

Because people are piling on them with holier than thou bullshit.

I had 4 cats all while working 32 hours per week, going to gradaute school FT and maintaining a 4.0 average. I now run a business and have 3 of those 4 cats, I had to put one to sleep earlier this year due to cancer or else I would still have 4.

Growing up my parents worked FT+, had 2 kids and we always had 2+ cats, multiple parrots, a rabbit and various amounts of small aninals.

Growing up means taking care of your responsibilities and not giving them to someone else.

Get a grip... sometimes it also means knowing your current limits and doing the right thing.

Some of you are talking absolute nonsense.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

To be honest just chill with the cat during your time at home. Even if its just an hour a day that interaction is far better than separating your pet from her home and from you. It wouldn't benefit either of you for you to give her away if I'm to be honest.

Besides nothing is quite like having your cat snuggle with you when you're having a bad day.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Serious answer: my roommate is home maybe four or five hours a day, total, and most of it he's a sleep. His cat manages. She loves me a little bit too much when I'm around but beyond that she's fine, and none of us are home that often.

Cats adapt, and your cat will get used to your schedule as long as you pay at least a little bit of attention to them when you're home. Lots of people work and go to school and still find time to give their animal friends happy lives.

Again, like I said before: I know your stepmom said some shit that really got to you, but just dumping the cat is not the way to go here. You need to learn discipline, and having an animal to take care of - and thus responsibility - is a good way to work on that discipline by focusing it around something you love and care about rather than something you probably hate like work.

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very odd that people are judging the OP for trying to do something he believes will make him happier and seeking advice to do it in a non-cruel way. Pets aren't for everyone, and we should be happy some people ask advice for how to give them away in a humane way rather than just let them loose without thinking twice about it. It's better to attempt to give a pet a happy home then neglect it and be in denial about it. Cats cost time and money-- most people make the sacrifice because they're also really cute and offer companionship! But if OP has other things in his life that give him the same thing, well, don't be so judgmental maybe?

But what's actually even more odd is that some are telling the OP his life is more shit than he thinks it is. Really unnecessary.

That being said, I hope you've given your decision some thought and have attainable goals in mind.

Unfortunately I don't really have great advice for you. Contact local shelters or organizations? The PetsMart around me usually has adoptions going on weekends and a lot of the signs have signs stating that pets come from families that are moving/can no longer take care of the pet.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had him for two years now, I rescued him after he was left to die in a cooler in the alley next to my hone, but I was recently given a wake up call and told I need to sort my shit out. I fucking hate giving him up, but it's a necessary step to growing up.
lol part of growing up is to not take responsibility? never own a pet again.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Just use instagram or Facebook or whatever to announce that you're looking for a new owner, complete with a cute pic of the cat. Id imagine plenty of people would offer to take care of the cat for you.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
OP, you can keep dodging all the legitimate posts in this thread to cherry pick the shitty ones, or you can acknowledge what's going on.

If you came into this thread for us to just reaffirm your own choice, you had the wrong idea. You have dozens of posts telling you that what you're doing and what's going on in your life do not allign, but you're choosing to ignore them.

There are plenty of people on this forum who work probably 80+ hour weeks, and struggle with depression/crazy problems, who also still find time to take care of their cat. Part of growing up is pushing forward. No one will give you shit for living at home with your parents, or going to therapy, or having trouble finding motivation. But abandoning your pet, who depends on you for its livlihood, is the definition of immaturity and irresponsibility.

If you had any questions about how to better take care of your cat while juggling a crazy schedule, ask away. But if you just want people to feel bad for you for abandoning a pet, you came to the wrong place.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Not the best title for sure but some of y'all are being really ridiculous with your responses.

Dude's not looking to kill the pet and it wouldn't be the first time someone has to give up ownership of a pet to focus on other things in life. A good friend of mine got a really good job offer in another country and she asked me to look after her dog. I was able to for about a year but then had to move myself and couldn't take the dog with me. I called her and asked what to do and we made arrangements for a nice family to take the dog.

Why not try to suggest some actual solutions instead of calling out the OP for some being some kind of monster.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cats require almost no attention. Shit get an automatic feeder and litter box if that's hard for you. Let them sit on your lap here and there and give them a scratching post and cat nip mice toys. Talk to them every now and then. It's pretty easy. If it was a dog I could understand but cats are a near zero effort pet. House plants are harder to take care of than a cat.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Jesus why are people are so judgmental?

They wants to give a pet a better home, what's the point on shitting on them for that? It's not like they wants to just leave it in the woods or kill it... Did you just read the title and decided that he was a piece of shit for bad prhasing?
It happens all the time, sure it sucks and maybe it's not the best reason to give up the cat, but just forcing them to keep it while insulting them does nothing to help this cat

My brother had a cat for 4 years, he ended up giving to a neighbour cause he was never home, he could have kept it too, but the cat is in a good home that's all that matters really

Last edited:

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
4 years ago I hit a rough patch and had to move in with a friend. I couldnt take my cat that had lived with me for 3 years. I had to take him home with me when my dad died, so he was around 6 years old when I had to move in with a friend.

So I found a good friend to take care of him but it was an hour away from where I was staying, so over the next few months I didnt see him much. He started losing weight and he died within 6 months.

I'm having trouble even typing this out because of how guilty I feel for him dying. I would swear to you he died from me doing this to him but he could have gotten sick and been cured but I'll never know.

Please dont abandon your cat.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to quote everyone, but these posts are ridiculous. Who do you think y'all are acting so high and mighty?

OP can't take care of his pet any more and is asking for advice, absolutely no need for this.

Who do you think you are acting high and mighty? Based on the barebones OP, it seemed they're just going to abandon a pet cause things have gotten a little tough.

And people who treat their pets like something that can just be disposed of when they become inconvenient pisses me right off.

My parents who I live with say that every minute I'm gone he starts meowing none stop and gets super bad anxiety. He's not allowed to leave my room so he's lonely for most of the day.

Your cat is locked in a small room all the time? Even when you're home?

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus why are people are so judgy?

They wants to give a pet a better home, what's the point on shitting on them for that? It's not like they wants to just leave it in the woods or kill it... Did you just read the title and decided that he was a piece of shit for bad prhasing?
It happens all the time, sure it sucks and maybe it's not the best reason to give up the cat, but just forcing them to keep it while insulting them does nothing to help this cat

My brother had a cat for 4 years, he ended up giving to a neighbour cause he was never home, he could have kept it too, but the cat is in a good home that's all that matters really
Because most discarded pet stories don't end like yours and end with them dead....

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Kind of lame you'd adopt a pet without thinking it through

It's lamer to keep a pet you know you're not taking care of.

Why do people feel the need to be judgmental to a stranger asking for advice? Yeah, this could have been thought through more, but do you think it's a good idea for the OP to keep a cat he feels he doesn't have time for?

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017
They were piled on for absolutely no reason. I don't blame them for getting frustrated.

He was piled on for an absolutely low-effort OP with a shitty title. Framing pet abandonment as the responsible thing to do is horrible. One wonders how much time the OP took to research this on their own before posting on a video game forum.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My parents who I live with say that every minute I'm gone he starts meowing none stop and gets super bad anxiety. He's not allowed to leave my room so he's lonely for most of the day.

It sounds like the problem is more you parents pressuring you to get rid of it than you actually wanting to, and that makes the decision pretty hard.

Honestly separating is probably only going to make his anxiety worse but I can understand the family pressure. Maybe seek out no-kill shelters or places like CraigList?

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I'd think that responsibly caring for an animal that you chose to bring into your home would be part of getting your shit together.

What you're saying here is the opposite, imo. My cat spends the majority of his life on a couch cushion looking out the window. Sometimes he stares at me. That's about it.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
He's gonna end up being neglected and miserable, but hey, as long as I follow through on raising him through huh?

You think I want this? No, I fucking dont, but he deserves better.

Then be better. Isn't that what this whole thing is about? Your stepmother asked you to fix your stuff. I have to say she doesn't sound very understanding, but that's besides the point. You are talking about disowning a pet. Those are your words. Your ditching a life you took responsibility for, because you need to 'fix your shit'? That's not fixing anything. Saying you need to focus on work should not mean working 80 hour weeks. You should be doing the work you do well. That leaves plenty of time to come home and feed your cat and ensure it has what it needs. This is a sentient pet you're talking about. A cat you've had for two years. You have to realize you are not making rational decision when you're saying throwing out a cat is the right thing to do, so you can focus on not making bad decisions.

Doing things like this is trying to solve your bad decisions by making more bad decisions. It seems you think that this means you won't have any free time, or time to do what you want to do. That's not being an adult. Being an adult is accepting responsibility, like being on time for work and fucking taking care of pets whose life depend on you. If you have an issue with spending all your money on cat toys, and sit around in your pajamas, playing with your cat instead of going to work, you would make a better case as to why you can't have a pet. However, even then, removing the symptom isn't fixing your problem. it sounds like you're over-correcting. if you're wasting your time on things that doesn't give you anything, like mindlessly scrolling on your facebook feed for hours on end for no enjoyment, restrict yourself from those time sinks. Don't remove everything all together, because the moment the feelgood from 'getting your shit together' ends, and you are back to what made you over-indulge in the first place, you will find your life lacking and start over-indulging again.

Also, none of these things has anything to with taking care of a cat. Please don't think you're getting your life together in any way by abandoning those that need you.

EDIT: while I wrote this up, posts have been made, outlining that the cat doesn't have a good living arrangement. I think your parents are absolute dicks for forcing your cat to be locked in a tiny room. No wonder he meows and doesn't have a good time. Being away for 14 hours in itself shouldn't be an issue for a cat, but it's obvious this situation isn't good, no matter how much you're home. Cats need space.

The reason you got so much fuzz in the first place is that you worded your first posts really terribly. Disowning a cat isn't a good way of putting it. Giving him up because you feel he won't be happy is another thing. But, if you think changing your life to working and studying 14 hours a day won't burn you right out, you are wrong. It might feel good for a while, but you'll be in a bigger rut than ever in not long. You need to figure out balance in your life.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I've had him for two years now, I rescued him after he was left to die in a cooler in the alley next to my hone, but I was recently given a wake up call and told I need to sort my shit out. I fucking hate giving him up, but it's a necessary step to growing up.

Not even a day removed from this thread and you're already spiraling. You've taken literally the worst take in regards to the bolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.