• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the right take. Don't be an asshole to your cat. Remember that he will care for you and use that to help you with your depression.

Oh come the fuck on... this thread is a joke. lol.

He was piled on for an absolutely low-effort OP with a shitty title. Framing pet abandonment as the responsible thing to do is horrible. One wonders how much time the OP took to research this on their own before posting on a video game forum.

No, he was piled on because y'all are ridiculously judgemental about this topic.

Who do you think you are acting high and mighty? Based on the barebones OP, it seemed they're just going to abandon a pet cause things have gotten a little tough.

No... you're acting high and mighty. I'm calling you out for that nonsense. They're oto going to abandon a pet, they're asking how for advice on what to do. Don't be so dishonest.

And people who treat their pets like something that can just be disposed of when they become inconvenient pisses me right off.

More high and mighty nonsense. Sometimes you can't take care of your pet any more, life can get in the way and sometimes the most responsible thing is to pass it to a person who can take porper care of it.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
There is a care house near where I live and many old folks there love getting a cat or a small dog to take care, so maybe a place like that?

Someone I know had to get rid of his dogs because he lost his place and he was not allowed to have a pet in the place he was going. Luckily a couple nearby had space and they didnt mind take the dogs.
If you can find a good place for your pet you wont feel bad at all OP.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ask on social media, craigslist, nextdoor, etc.

After that you're looking at local pet rescue organizations. You might have to pay a hefty fee for a rescue organization to take it but thems the breaks. But the chance it lives is nearly 100%. SOMEONE is gonna take care of it.

That doesn't work out just take it to a shelter. You'll pay a fee there too if they even take it but not as much as a rescue organization. They might put it down or it might get adopted, but it's not your call at that point.

So basically decide how much a clear conscious costs to you and choose accordingly.

Oct 27, 2017
as a cat owner (1) for about 9 years ...

it's really easy.

feed it. clean the litter box. let it outside for a few min. to get some vitamin D. pet it. play with it while watching TV or even sitting at your desk while posting on resetera. My cat like to cuddle up by my feet while i'm at my chair.

not that hard.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're really determined to not have this cat anymore, your responsibility is to find a good home for it with people that will actually care for it. Ask trusted friends and family, branch out from there.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had him for two years now, I rescued him after he was left to die in a cooler in the alley next to my hone, but I was recently given a wake up call and told I need to sort my shit out. I fucking hate giving him up, but it's a necessary step to growing up.

Who told you that "sorting out your shit" includes shierking your responsibility. Don't take advise from this person.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Then be better. Isn't that what this whole thing is about? Your stepmother asked you to fix your stuff. I have to say she doesn't sound very understanding, but that's besides the point. You are talking about disowning a pet. Those are your words. Your ditching a life you took responsibility for, because you need to 'fix your shit'? That's not fixing anything. Saying you need to focus on work should not mean working 80 hour weeks. You should be doing the work you do well. That leaves plenty of time to come home and feed your cat and ensure it has what it needs. This is a sentient pet you're talking about. A cat you've had for two years. You have to realize you are not making rational decision when you're saying throwing out a cat is the right thing to do, so you can focus on not making bad decisions.

Doing things like this is trying to solve your bad decisions by making more bad decisions. It seems you think that this means you won't have any free time, or time to do what you want to do. That's not being an adult. Being an adult is accepting responsibility, like being on time for work and fucking taking care of pets whose life depend on you. If you have an issue with spending all your money on cat toys, and sit around in your pajamas, playing with your cat instead of going to work, you would make a better case as to why you can't have a pet. However, even then, removing the symptom isn't fixing your problem. it sounds like you're over-correcting. if you're wasting your time on things that doesn't give you anything, like mindlessly scrolling on your facebook feed for hours on end for no enjoyment, restrict yourself from those time sinks. Don't remove everything all together, because the moment the feelgood from 'getting your shit together' ends, and you are back to what made you over-indulge in the first place, you will find your life lacking and start over-indulging again.

Also, none of these things has anything to with taking care of a cat. If your step-mom thinks this is a good idea, she is a complete moron. Please don't think you're getting your life together in any way by abandoning those that need you.

This.

Look, Kalmakoffee. I know depression is hard. And fighting depression is even harder. I do it every day, and sometimes I'm good at it and sometimes I'm really bad at it. But one of the things about fighting depression is learning that depression wants you to fail. It wants you to make choices that keep you in its realm. Doing something that you know will hurt you (and will also very likely hurt your cat) just because you need to make a split decision to "improve" things is the depression working against you.

What you should really be looking at right now is finding a path to self-sufficiency. To moving out, getting your own place away from your parents, and living on your own terms. It might not happen now, it might not happen in six months, but if you give yourself a goal to work toward and spend a little time every day working on that goal, you will make progress, and it will be a lot more beneficial for you in the long run than making a snap judgment like "I need to get rid of my cat because that's what growing up means".

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Jesus, some of y'all need to take a break from this shit. Dude is literally just asking for reasonable advice. OP might be poorly worded but It's not hard to see what he's after.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If your parents want your cat locked, talk to them and explain why the cat matters to you. Saying that your parents don't allow him to leave your bedroom isn't an excuse to relieve you of your responsibility with him. Giving up on the cat isn't the answer for growing up. Hell, TALK with your parents about what you are thinking and maybe they will come out to their senses how fucked up this is, and how the logic you went through to conclude is based on your step mom not really knowing how to reach you.

FrenchBaguette

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Fucks sake, you Muppets are ready to dogpile at the slightest provocation eh?

Have you tried looking into any local no-kill shelters OP?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You never know whether they care or not. We could discuss this, but thats not the point...

Yes it is the entire point, OP is asking for advice not for holier than thou judgemental nonsense...

You can go talk to people and discover if they'd make a good home. My mother takes in rescue animals sometimes, if you met her you'd know immediately your pet would be very well loved.

OP could, with some effort, find a place like this.

OP don't do it, you'll regret it immensely and immediately.

Please stop projecting.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
If your parents want your cat locked, talk to them and explain why the cat matters to you. Saying that your parents don't allow him to leave your bedroom isn't an excuse to relieve you of your responsibility with him. Giving up on the cat isn't the answer for growing up. Hell, TALK with your parents about what you are thinking and maybe they will come out to their senses how fucked up this is, and how the logic you went through to conclude is based on your step mom not really knowing how to reach you.

I completely agree. Your cat has a low quality of life living arrangement, but you should assume some responsibility in ensuring the cat you've taken in has a good life. You need to talk to your parents. It sounds terribly neglecting of them to just force you to keep your cat in your room. That's not how anyone should live. At the end of the day, when you have a cat, it's not about being an adult that should push you to ensuring your cat has a good life. Your cat is a sentient and live pet. It has feelings, and can develop disorders. You may make it impossible to relocate your cat by not ensuring it has a good living arrangement. I feel the cat has suffered bad enough fates so far. We need to do what we can for what life we can affect. No pets deserve this.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Abandoning your responsibility as a pet owner is the opposite of "growing up."

Face that fact, take care of your pet, and actually grow up. Cats are extremely low maintenance, anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is the entire point, OP is asking for advice not for holier than thou judgemental nonsense...

You can go talk to people and discover if they'd make a good home. My mother takes in rescue animals sometimes, if you met her you'd know immediately your pet would be very well loved.

Some of us are trying to give advice. That advice might not be the advice the OP wants, but it's advice all the same. He clearly cares about this animal or he wouldn't have asked for advice in the first place.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Fucks sake, you Muppets are ready to dogpile at the slightest provocation eh?

Have you tried looking into any local no-kill shelters OP?

His motivation for "growing up" came from his stepmother who gave him shit for putting off work due to depression and insinuating life can't be happy.

There's a big red flag he's basing his actions off of. This isn't a situation of economics and time, but a hasty attempt at "being a grown up", whatever this auspicious phrase means. OP literally believes this means "fun can't exist for me anymore", and I'm not even kidding about that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some of us are trying to give advice. That advice might not be the advice the OP wants, but it's advice all the same. He clearly cares about this animal or he wouldn't have asked for advice in the first place.
Who are you talking about? I'm talking about the judgemental people shitting on OP for no reason.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow y'all are weird. He's trying to ask for advice as to not do something irresponsible and all he gets is questioned on "but wtf dude?"

Could you put up a post at your job or college?
Because getting rid of the cat is irresponsible. You chose to take care of it. It's your responsibility until it dies.

So the only responsible thing is to find another house for it that will take care of it and show it love. If you can't do that, then too fucking bad... It's your cat.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents who I live with say that every minute I'm gone he starts meowing none stop and gets super bad anxiety. He's not allowed to leave my room so he's lonely for most of the day.

Hmm, keeping a cat locked up in one room all the time is actually a pretty bad living arrangement. I disagree with your idea that disowning the cat is part of your growing up process, but having learned about the cat's living arrangements, I do have to agree that it's not the greatest.

Can you not convince your parents at all to let the cat walk around the house?

Also, I'm a bit worried about you, OP. In your earlier thread you mentioned suicidal thoughts multiple times, and now you're coming up with this randomly brash decision about your cat. Are you talking to anybody irl about this situation that occurred with your stepmother?

konka

Oct 25, 2017

Please stop projecting.

"Don't give up the cat it's a shitty thing to do" is advice. Just not what he wants. You can't always get want you want.

Who are you talking about? I'm talking about the judgemental people shitting on OP for no reason.

There seems to be a pretty good reason people are shitting on him.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Because getting rid of the cat is irresponsible. You chose to take care of it. It's your responsibility until it dies.

So the only responsible thing is to find another house for it that will take care of it and show it love. If you can't do that, then too fucking bad... It's your cat.

No it's not... not by default.

sometimes a person cannot give the care needed any more, many legitimate reasons for this. It doesn't make a person a monster, or even irresponsible, as long as they make sure to find a caring home which can be done.

"Don't give up the cat it's a shitty thing to do" is advice. Just not what he wants. You can't always get want you want.

No, that's not advice at all. It#s judgemental nonsense.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Btw op you said in the other thread that you are 20. I was a lech, total jobless fuckup till like 22, dropping out of college and then taking like 5 years to finish a 3 year career.

These things... they take time... if you can find a way of give yourself time and work it out slowly, dont go taking drastic measures like crazy

Agree, OP, shit takes time. I'm 30 and it took me a long time to save up and finally start a career and to be able to self learn and kick my own self in the ass. You'll find that its two steps forward one step back continuously and unending. Sometimes its two steps back.

Getting rid of the cat is one of those things that you will look back and cringe hard, its something that will strike at the core of your ability to respect yourself. You're doing it from a place of self loathing and while striking at yourself can bring a perverse pleasure (I know), the pain catches up once the anger subsides.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
It did not deserve the ridiculous responses ITT, at all.

As a cat owner, and someone that cares about animal welfare, I get extremely upset when people say "oh, I have to grow up, so I'm trying to disown my cat". If OP had taken the time to explain the situation, they'd have gotten better and more accurate responses. The way things were posted, everyone has been completely in the right for attacking OP. Up until more information was presented, it wasn't badly worded. It was just terrible actions. Given more context, people start to realize that things aren't the way they seemed first, but that's not the responsibilities of everyone posting in this thread. That's the responsibility of OP.

If I make a thread and say "how can I kill my cat? It needs to die, so I was just wondering how I should do it", I would expect people to treat me like a horrible person. If the context was actually that my cat was so ill that I deemed euthanasia, and I was wondering what methods vets used, it would be my issue that I didn't explain that. That's what's going on here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous responses being the ones that point out how incongruous "growing up" and "shirking responsibilities" are?

Nope. Because sometimes passing a pet to another home IS the responsible thing to do.

As a cat owner, and someone that cares about animal welfare, I get extremely upset when people say "oh, I have to grow up, so I'm trying to disown my cat". If OP had taken the time to explain the situation, they'd have gotten better and more accurate responses. The way things were posted, everyone has been completely in the right for attacking OP. Up until more information was presented, it wasn't badly worded. It was just terrible actions. Given more context, people start to realize that things aren't the way they seemed first, but that's not the responsibilities of everyone posting in this thread. That's the responsibility of OP.

If I make a thread and say "how can I kill my cat? It needs to die, so I was just wondering how I should do it", I would expect people to treat me like a horrible person. If the context was actually that my cat was so ill that I deemed euthanasia, and I was wondering what methods vets used, it would be my issue that I didn't explain that. That's what's going on here.

Oh my...

konka

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not... not by default.

sometimes a person cannot give the care needed any more, many legitimate reasons for this. It doesn't make a person a monster, or even irresponsible, as long as they make sure to find a caring home which can be done.

No, that's not advice at all. It#s judgemental nonsense.

So if he said he had to give up his 2 year old daughter you response would be.

"sometimes a person cannot give the care needed any more, many legitimate reasons for this."

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Because sometimes passing a pet to another home IS the responsible thing to do.

But not in this case, even given all the information in this thread. OP is suggesting too radical changes, and is not tackling the issue that his parents are forcing his cat to have an extremely low quality of life. The right thing to do is to making sure the cat has better living arrangements. That's the first step in this case. Not just giving it up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So if he said he had to give up his 2 year old daughter you response would be.

"sometimes a person cannot give the care needed any more, many legitimate reasons for this."

LOL.

"If he made a thread asking how to kill his cat"
"What if he said he had to give up his kid"

Wow...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
as a cat owner (1) for about 9 years ...

it's really easy.

feed it. clean the litter box. let it outside for a few min. to get some vitamin D. pet it. play with it while watching TV or even sitting at your desk while posting on resetera. My cat like to cuddle up by my feet while i'm at my chair.

not that hard.
Cats aren't humans. They don't need to go outside to get fucking Vitamin D. Unless by Vitamin D you mean Death by car or animal.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

Is this a joke? OP rescued the cat. He could've let it die but he didn't and now he has a chance to find it a good, loving home. Please stop.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But not in this case, even given all the information in this thread. OP is suggesting too radical changes, and is not tackling the issue that his parents are forcing his cat to have an extremely low quality of life. The right thing to do is to making sure the cat has better living arrangements. That's the first step in this case. Not just giving it up.

The right thing to do here, as OP no longer wants the pet, is to find a new home for it.

Y'all could have all given them advice on how to do this instead of piling on them with the judgements.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Basically I need to focus on more important things in life right now, like work and college, so that leaves no time for pets. I'll just end up making him feel neglected. So I need some advice on what's the best possible way to disown a pet

Edit: I live at home with my parents. The cat has anxiety issues. He's by himself most of the time and my parents won't let him leave my room

shame people are being so judgmental, a pet isnt for everyone and you're asking for help on the best way how to pass it on. You live at home with your parents with their rules and they dont want it out of your room. What's so wrong with passing it on for a better home than you can currently provide at this point in your life.

see if friends or like a local facebook person will take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.