• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Did I uncover that you are infact OP's alt account? It seemed like you had a slip up in the post I quoted when I accused you of it. I gave you opportunity to explain why you would say something that only OP would respond with, and your response is simply to not talk to me? Seems I'm pushing where it hurst. Are you in fact OP on his alt account? You seemed to enter the thread about the time OP disappeared.

Wow.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Did I uncover that you are infact OP's alt account? It seemed like you had a slip up in the post I quoted when I accused you of it. I gave you opportunity to explain why you would say something that only OP would respond with, and your response is simply to not talk to me? Seems I'm pushing where it hurst. Are you in fact OP on his alt account? You seemed to enter the thread about the time OP disappeared.

Look, this poster and I are basically on the same wave length on this and I can assure you that we're not the same person. Back off, you can't prove your morality on a message board.

FrenchBaguette

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Look, read the other thread. His stepmother literally told him to grow up and get over his depression.

They don't understand what depression fuckin' is. Come on.

Once again, based upon some text written from one side of the story. The point of all this is you fuckin people will take the tiniest parcel of information and spin these magnificent yarns and form ridiculous opinions about stuff. And guess what, 95% of the time those opinions are negative, condescending, and utterly useless.

The OP asked a very simple question. It would've been incredibly simple to answer him or move on to the next topic to get irrationally outraged about.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, y'all are digging into is post history? What the actual fuck. I'm going back to gaming.

His post history was today, and clearly what's influenced this thread. He wants to get rid of the cat because he wants to "grow up" and that's directly following the earlier thread he made and the problems he clearly presented in there.

I'm not keen on dogpiling, but surely you could grasp he wants to get rid of the cat because he believes he can't have fun anymore, which is something he insinuated in his post history earlier? That's the underlying reason; it's not that he lack money or time, but that "the adult thing" to do is to get rid of it. His motivation is from bad advice.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

FrenchBaguette

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Did I uncover that you are infact OP's alt account? It seemed like you had a slip up in the post I quoted when I accused you of it. I gave you opportunity to explain why you would say something that only OP would respond with, and your response is simply to not talk to me? Seems I'm pushing where it hurts. Are you in fact OP on his alt account? You seemed to enter the thread about the time OP disappeared.

Bro you're a mental case. It's probably time to just chill and maybe go outside for some fresh air or something.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not, doesn't excuse many of the responses here though. Not even close.
It doesn't excuse his reactions either, which is my main issue really here.

Just because many are out of line, doesn't mean the OP should be excused for ignoring those who do want to discuss it further with him too.

The OP chooses to give low effort responses to those they felt offended by, rather than having a proper discussion on the matter, when he's the one asking for advice.

Could just ignore those with low effort, which isn't that hard to be honest.

I just had to do it myself earlier, and still had some good discussions with others in the thread that were more genuine.

I think it's fair that you want to call out the ones out of line, but you're starting to defend the OP more than the OP has put effort in defending himself, and that to me just feels awkward.

Maybe if the OP is actually putting forth more of an effort, and defending himself, and actually responding to people who want to have a conversation, then I'd say it'd be a more valid approach, but as it stands, if the OP doesn't even putting in that effort, now it just feels like you're speaking for him, rather than letting him speak, which is a bit problematic in itself anyways if we're talking about having a proper discussion on the topic.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't excuse his reactions either, which is my main issue really here.

Just because many are out of line, doesn't mean the OP should be excused for ignoring those who do want to discuss it further with him too.

The OP chooses to give low effort responses to those they felt offended by, rather than having a proper discussion on the matter, when he's the one asking for advice.

Could just ignore those with low effort, which isn't that hard to be honest.

I just had to do it myself earlier, and still had some good discussions with others in the thread that were more genuine.

I think it's fair that you want to call out the ones out of line, but you're starting to defend the OP more than the OP has put effort in defending himself, and that to me just feels awkward.

Maybe if the OP is actually putting forth more of an effort, and defending himself, and actually responding to people who want to have a conversation, then I'd say it'd be a more valid approach, but as it stands, if the OP doesn't even putting in that effort, now it just feels like you're speaking for him, rather than letting him speak, which is a bit problematic in itself anyways if we're talking about having a proper discussion on the topic.

Sorry, but I think judging OP for not responding in a thread as needlessly hostile as this is a bit rich tbh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Astro is not my alt account, in fact he can stop with all the fucking coddling. If I have an issue with someone is saying I'll confront them directly. Right now I'm just reading over people's suggestions and weighing my options

Oct 27, 2017
No it's not... not by default.

sometimes a person cannot give the care needed any more, many legitimate reasons for this. It doesn't make a person a monster, or even irresponsible, as long as they make sure to find a caring home which can be done.

No, that's not advice at all. It#s judgemental nonsense.

Is this a joke? OP rescued the cat. He could've let it die but he didn't and now he has a chance to find it a good, loving home. Please stop.

Sure, but the reason for the backlash was because of the low-effort OP that was devoid of details and contained "get rid of" and "disown". Had the OP mentioned anything about the environment in which the cat currently lives day to day, then this wouldn't have happened.

No dude. That's now how real life works. Life happens, things change. What kind of thinking is this?
exactly what forearms said. Get rid of sounds like he's wondering how to take it out back and let it go.

Maybe get onto the op for having a terrible first impression of what he's going to do. I had to move to china so I asked my parents to look after my cat I had.

If the op was "how do I find a good family for my cat" then the whole thread would be different. Not "how do I disown it".

So nah, op sounds like he's only doing it because his stepmom wants it done. First part to growing up is to stand your ground. Even if it's against your parents.

Edit: and he was just a dick to Astro for "coddling" when he's one of the only people in the thread giving him the benefit of the doubt. You definitely have to mature OP, but I don't think. "I've got to get rid of this cat for good" is one of them.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Astro is not my alt account, in fact he can stop with all the fucking coddling. If I have an issue with someone is saying I'll confront them directly. Right now I'm just reading over people's suggestions and weighing my options

If you need someone to talk to about this, shoot me a PM. I'll be on for a couple of hours and if you need a sounding board or anything, I'm around.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Then on the other side of the spectrum

This is what happens when youtube is broken lol

pAX4oeQ.png

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but I think judging OP for not responding in a thread as needlessly hostile as this is a bit rich tbh.
But that's just my perspective, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

You may think it's absurd, but I'm not going to call your opinion absurd just because I don't agree with you.

Maybe it's the "feels awkward" part that made you respond this way? I meant that it felt awkward to me, not that you are awkward.

Not the way I'd approach it.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
exactly what forearms said. Get rid of sounds like he's wondering how to take it out back and let it go.

Maybe get onto the op for having a terrible first impression of what he's going to do. I had to move to china so I asked my parents to look after my cat I had.

If the op was "how do I find a good family for my cat" then the whole thread would be different. Not "how do I disown it".

So nah, op sounds like he's only doing it because his stepmom wants it done. First part to growing up is to stand your ground. Even if it's against your parents.
which is why we say the OP was poorly worded.

but It seems like OP doesn't want any positive reinforcement so I'll leave you all to it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The fact that you are considering giving up your pet in order to focus on "more important things" means that do need to mature and rearrange your priorities but not in the way you think. Please do not let your cat suffer just because you got some wake-up call (which I am pretty darn confident does not necessitate giving up your pet).

FrenchBaguette

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I do, wondering why you would join if that's your opinion of the general vibe around here.

Because there are still some pretty cool people around here. Not EVERYONE is like I described although many, many are. It is an echo chamber here. Every congregation of people, whether irl or on forums or whatever, need differing opinions for conversation to stop from being stale. You'll never learn things, other points of views etc if everyone is beating the same drum.

Just because the general vibe here is one of Borg like assimilation doesn't mean there isn't some viable discussion to be had.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Actually, I don't need your permission to call out ridiculous nonsense.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has proven that you've yet to "get your shit together", OP. Check yourself before you wreck your cat. Fuck.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Abandoning a cat is leaving it in an alley or a box or some horrible shit. Finding a better home for your cat IS responsible. The fuck, people? Cats can take care of themselves if you leave it in a fucking room all day, but if you feel the cat can have a BETTER life than you can offer it wouldn't you feel morally obligated to find it a new home? I mean, I feel bad for the cat, but I'm not going to join in on dogpiling OP who's doing the right thing in this situation. If you were in a bad place or homeless and decided to keep your pet instead of TRYING to find a better home for it than youre being an irresponsible ass.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Abandoning a cat is leaving it in an alley or a box or some horrible shit. Finding a better home for your cat IS responsible. The fuck, people? Cats can take care of themselves, but if you feel the cat can have a BETTER life than you can offer it wouldn't you feel morally obligated to find it a new home? I mean, I feel bad for the cat, but I'm not going to join in on dogpiling OP who's doing the right thing in this situation. If you were in a bad place or homeless and decided to keep your pet instead of TRYING to find a better home for it than youre being an irresponsible ass.

Bingo. Thanks for being rational about it.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are a dick OP, also your parents are dicks too because of not letting the cat walk outside of your room, I recommend posting in Facebook groups with cute pictures of your cat he deserves better.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

Whatever you say, but I just don't feel I need to go over and above to berate people for a poor choice of words rather than offering a simple answer to a simple question.

Are people not savvy enough to work out intent through context clues? OP didn't seem like he wanted to kill anything when I read it.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Abandoning a cat is leaving it in an alley or a box or some horrible shit. Finding a better home for your cat IS responsible. The fuck, people? Cats can take care of themselves if you leave it in a fucking room all day, but if you feel the cat can have a BETTER life than you can offer it wouldn't you feel morally obligated to find it a new home? I mean, I feel bad for the cat, but I'm not going to join in on dogpiling OP who's doing the right thing in this situation. If you were in a bad place or homeless and decided to keep your pet instead of TRYING to find a better home for it than youre being an irresponsible ass.
I agree with this assessment. Hopefully it finds a good home.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Trying to find a way to abandon your cat is pretty fucked up, OP. Find it a new owner who legitimately wants to care for the cat but don't try to ditch it wherever

Oct 27, 2017
Because there are still some pretty cool people around here. Not EVERYONE is like I described although many, many are. It is an echo chamber here. Every congregation of people, whether irl or on forums or whatever, need differing opinions for conversation to stop from being stale. You'll never learn things, other points of views etc if everyone is beating the same drum.

Just because the general vibe here is one of Borg like assimilation doesn't mean there isn't some viable discussion to be had.
Lol you can't call it an echo chamber if you're on the same site and have a difference of opinion to the majority here... Because then it isn't an echo chamber. It's obviously not half/half here but you can't expect every place on the internet to be. It certainly isn't borglike. That's just straight bullshit.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Actually, I don't need your permission to call out ridiculous nonsense.
Then you can continue to pretend you're somehow being less self-righteous than the people you call out

top 10 anime betrayals?

I'll take your cat. Jesus
for reals?

Oct 27, 2017
No, your post was ridiculous and I have no interest in engaging with that.

What about it was ridiculous though?

Either way, you're doing a good job at somehow being more asinine than the OP. So, congrats I guess.

they were piled on because some of you are projecting and acting holier than thou.

And congrats also for typing the phrase 'holier than thou' so very often. Very effective in getting your point across.

Oct 28, 2017
So it seems this forum can just as easily be very helpful but also really shitty. OP has a cat confined to a single room of the house and is struggling with mental health issues and everyone's raking him over the coals for trying to find somebody to take care of this pet. It's embarrassing what some of you are doing here.

OP, try to ask around with people you or your family knows. If that doesn't turn up anything I'd start checking with rescue shelters or foster homes that don't euthanize. Get the help you need and do everything you can to help this animal avoid sitting in a shelter.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
OP, your stepmom was right in more ways than one. You need to grow up or speak to a professional and tell them you don't know how to do anything. You talked about cancelling going to the movies with your parents due to her comment and now wanna ditch the cat. Also, you said life could not be fun if you had to work. You come across bitter and petty.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. OPs the one who's step mom told him to get his shit together. Dude you've posted four fucking threads today. You have plenty of time to care for a cat instead of talking about sonic the hedgehog on a video game message board. Cats are one of the easiest animals to care for.

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever you say, but I just don't feel I need to go over and above to berate people for a poor choice of words rather than offering a simple answer to a simple question.

Are people not savvy enough to work out intent through context clues? OP didn't seem like he wanted to kill anything when I read it.
Except their are many in here that are confused by his wording. Maybe find fault with the person causing that.

Not once in his OP did he show a desire to find it a good home. If he stated it in other posts throughout the thread he should take the time to link to them in the OP. You can't fault people for getting upset at the wording from someone doing the act.

If the OP was "how do I abandon my kid" it would go the same way, not "how do i put my kid up for adoption"

I'm using it as an extreme example, but the message is the same. You can't get upset at people for reading what the OP is. There's literally no context to take it as "I'm finding it a better home" from the OP. And there are enough shitty people out there to just throw their animals out in the street when inconvenienced by them that I don't feel the need to give him the benefit of the doubt if that's the wording he chose to use.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What about it was ridiculous though?

Either way, you're doing a good job at somehow being more asinine than the OP. So, congrats I guess.

For a start, this little gem

"If I make a thread and say "how can I kill my cat? It needs to die..."

And I don't see how I'm foollish for calling out the self-righteousness on display here and the absurd dogpiling, but that's cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.