• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what to do. I was browsing reddit and saw a strange comment (not at all relevant to the topic, basically incoherent). I clicked on their profile for some reason and their post history for just today was REALLY strange, not posting coherently in any of the topics, not spelling words correctly, etc. However a day before their posts were perfectly normal, coherent posts, full sentences, etc.
I posted a topic about it on some advice forum but not even sure that was the right thing to do.

Anyone ever come across something like this before? is there something more I should do?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
idk it depends what it said.
personally i sometimes can't be bothered to write properly so i just half ass my posts online.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
idk it depends what it said.
personally i sometimes can't be bothered to write properly so i just half ass my posts online.

From their history it's like a full days worth of things like:
"Are you with them or not ? who to belive is impossible, I keep on dont sleep run "

All day long, multiple posts in different subreddits, before today they mainly posted in a few specific subreddits.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it more on Youtube. People with (obvious) paranoid schizophrenia who upload dozens--at a minimum--of short videos a day. (It seems like it would be an easy thing for Youtube to catch due to the high volume of videos is definitely distinct from the average Youtuber.) Not much you can do unless someone who knows them is able to reach out and intervene. They're not likely (to be able to) listen.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well things took a turn in the thread I posted about him on reddit to see if anyone knew him or knew how to get him help.

People dismissing it, saying I'm "in on it" or that it's some kind of ARG.

Sigh, just wanted to make sure someone was ok, that's all I wanted to do.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Update from this morning, not sure if I thought it'd go this far (did msg him last night but never heard from him).

Some people found out who he was from his posts (have no idea how), they contacted his (future) university that he was applying to and supposed to go to an appointment there today (he never showed up to this), his parents, and had a welfare check done on him (he's in Sweden, not the US), they said a welfare check was done with trained professionals and not police or anything like the US.

Really hope that didn't mess anything up for him, but since he missed his appointment for uni people think he really did have something go wrong with him so hopefully he gets the help he needs to get back on his feet and hopefully gets into Uni, really hope those people didn't mess that up for him.

Did I take things too far? On one hand I wanted to help him but I didn't wanna mess up his life with his uni/family or anything, just a welfare check would've been good I thought.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Reach out to them and offer an empathetic ear. Sometimes people just need to know is that they are not alone and that someone is there to listen. Other times there's nothing you can do, but reaching out is a good start.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So final update on this, the guy did have some mental issues and was going through a rough day. His dad ending up getting him and taking him to a hospital for treatment (according to the guy who contacted him/his parents).

Hope he gets things under control and gets back on his feet.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh glad things are going good.

It's always important to reach out, communication is very important at basically all points in life and hardly ever something that will actually make things worse.