• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
There are thousands of videos, blog posts and threads about shows that dip in quality but rarely do we discuss series that actually rebound from a lull.

Here's the format.

Show/Cartoon/Anime:
Lull:
Rebound:
Did it stick?:

Show: Dexter

Lull: Season 5 (Julia Stiles, self-help cult) felt low stakes and slow after the gut punch ending of Season 4 (Trinity killer). Trailers for season 6 promised a return to darkness but the writing was God awful. Both Dexter and his enemies made sloppy mistakes, side characters had boring storylines that went nowhere and the twist was broadcasted from the beginning but treated like it was clever.

Rebound: Season 7. Show opened with some side stories that felt gripping, smaller enemies that felt threatening but the bigger storyline was the show slowly unraveling the truth about Dexter and what it meant to one of the other main characters on the show. Every time I thought "well if they know Dexter is a killer then they need to deal with the event of Season 2", boom, the next episode would deal with it. The only downside was the continuation of an awful storyline from Season 6 that had his adoptive sister Debra developing romantic feelings for him.

Did it stick?: No. Season 8 felt far too similar to Season 6 with it's lazy writing, easy to spot mistakes and awful storylines. The finale was the cherry on top- so terrible that it retroactively ruined parts of the show that I used to enjoy.

Show: Heroes

Lull: Season 2's slow-paced and uninteresting mystery struggled to keep audiences attention and was clearly marred by the writer's strike. Season 3, though initially more exciting, was far worse. Sylar switched allegiances so many times (and with little motivation) that I got tired of seeing him on screen. Character twists felt like a shlocky daytime soap opera and too many moments played for shock value did long term damage to the overall storyline.

Rebound: Season 1 head writer Bryan Fuller, who left the series to create Pushing Daisies and would later work on Hannibal, was brought back on board for the second half of Season 3. We saw a return to character-focused episodes, fascinating flashbacks and a fun storyline that had the heroes on the run.

Did it stick?: No. No it did not. Fuller left again. The following season brought in a Circus-themed storyline that didn't hold my attention and the series was eventually cancelled.

Series: LOST

Lull: the beginning of Season 3 had Jack, Kate and Sawyer locked up in cages while the A story shifted focus to a new cast of characters from the other half of the plane, including the duo that everyone loves the hate. The show dragged and felt as close to "filler" as anything I had ever felt in a show like this.

Rebound: Halfway through Season 3. I cannot remember the exact moment, it may have been Hugo and Sawyer repairing jeeps and sharing a beer. It doesn't sound exciting but I remember the character writing feeling deeply satisfying. These moments would eventually culminate into one of the most exciting season finales the show has ever had. The back half of season 3 is a joy.

Did it stick?: It depends on who you ask. The seasons that follow used secret flash towards that built up to a great twist episode reveal "we have to go back" and another season that primarily focused on time travel. These seasons brought us Desmond, Farady and Miles. I loved Season 4 & 5. The final season and the series finale? I have a lot of issues here. I've seen a large defense squad for how Lost ended but I think there are issues with character development and a sloppy closer that I can't get over. (None of my issues had to do with "not getting answers". We got plenty)

Anyway, I realize none of these fully stuck the landing but they all had rebound moments that people often forget.

Hopefully some of you will have better examples.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Lost ever hit a low point.

The ending was ok, but I enjoyed the ride until the end.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread moved to EtcetEra.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's been a long long while since I watched it, but I thought season 4 of Heroes was the rebound. I have nothing but bad memories of Seasons 2 and 3. Peter getting de-powered allowed him to not be such a colossal moron, anyway.

But then Heroes Reborn happened, and nothing was learned.

Last edited:

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
dexter, heroes, lost. Is this a hot take thread? Those shows never recovered

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed completely on Dexter.

24 S7 was similar in that it was a big rebound from a really bad S6, but then S8 went back to sucking big time. Remember Katie Sackhoff's character/storyline? Holy hell.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe you mention all the good characters introduced late into LOST and you don't mention Ben Linus.

I also didn't mind the lull as much, but I think it qualifies for the type of thing you're suggesting. I enjoyed the show all the way up until the insane, nonsensical ending. The best stuff was always the character interactions and developments.

Dec 31, 2017
The Shield.

Low: Season 3.

Not terrible. Not even bad but definitely the low point. Not as many standout moments for the series as came before it or would come after it.

Rebound: Second half of Season 4. It turns out S3 lays a lot of crumbs that lead to the end game. Antwon Mitchell is introduced. And he's one of the best characters in the show. Season 4 was the middle child of the show.

Did it stick? - Season 5 is one of the best pieces of fiction ever made. And Season 7 isn't far behind. S6 is another middle child but the last season and especially the last few episodes stuck the landing so perfectly I'd say the setup was worth it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Community came back pretty well

and im hoping Westworld comes back strong after the disappointing S2

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
I heard people say that there was a period of time when The Simpsons got pretty good again in 2017. I've not seen 'em so I can't say for myself.

Oct 27, 2017
Dexter recovered from seasons 2 and 3 with 4. I think 1 and 4 were the only seasons of note personally.

I haven't watched Supernatural in a long time but the half of season 8 I saw was a huge improvement over 6 and 7. 6 was awful.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Show/Cartoon/Anime: Mr. Robot
Lull:
Season 2
Rebound:
Season 3
Did it stick?:
We'll find out when season 4 drops.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Supernatural hit a very low point after the original end .... but it came back strongly ever since.

It is unclear if it will hold up for the last season since they are entering some ... easy to suck realm

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think the low point was? I would have said 3 was the low point as well
What was the low point then?

In the OP he lists 3 as a lull. I felt season 5 was the first ending that did not out do the previous one but it definitely didn't fall off a cliff.
I think season 3 was pretty good, Through the Looking Glass was my favorite episode of the series. Guess we just don't see it the same way then.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Twin Peaks. Hit a bad lull in S2 after Laura Palmer's killer was revealed and Lynch had essentially no involvement afterwards. Then it rebounded at the very end of S2 when he came back, and S3 was great. The quality was heavily based on how much Lynch was involved, basically.

There's even a chart someone made that shows where the quality dips are:

pkqdoEW.jpg

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Disagree about Dexter and Heroes. Dexter's recovery was a brief blip at best, and Heroes just got worse and worse.

Homeland. S4 was a lull after the excellent first 3 seasons with Damien Lewis, or maybe first 2 seasons and 3 was OK. S4 was some generic Afghanistan terrorist whatev. It picked up again in S5 with a timely focus on spying in Berlin, then maintained the momentum with S6 and S7 in DC, with the new PotuS, the social media influencing campaign, and other themes reflecting current times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
dexter, heroes, lost. Is this a hot take thread? Those shows never recovered
It is not a hot take thread, please take a look at my explanations instead of skimming the show names.
All of these series ended poorly, but they had rebounds before returning to poor quality.

Official Staff Communication
Thread moved to EtcetEra.
Oof, that's embarrassing. I'm sorry about that, thank you for moving it.

I didn't know Bryan Fuller was Heroes's writer, that explains so much
Only for Season 1 and Season 3.5.

I can't believe you mention all the good characters introduced late into LOST and you don't mention Ben Linus.
I thought he was introduced in late Season 1/early Season 2...maybe I got that wrong. You're right though, he's another great character.

Community came back pretty well
Yes, you get it. Perfect example, I wish I had thought of it.

Lull: Season 4, the "gas leak" season. Dan Harmon left the series after disputes with NBC and a tiff with Chevy Chase. Being a creator and head-writer, his absence was felt. For such a wacky show, you'd never think it possible for characters to be "Flanderized", but Season 4 is a thing so here we are. Each character was a wackier version of themselves that sometimes even betrayed the characters original qualities and motivations. We also had awful storylines around Chang, a terrible comic-book style episode that retcons a few backstories and attempts to create an "origin" of the characters coincidentally meeting each other in the past, a painfully unfunny puppet episode and a vomit-inducing attempt to recreate the Paintball episodes and work them into a higher theme.

Rebound: Season 5 had the return of Dan Harmon. While this would become Donald Glover's farewell season, Troy was given an appropriately imaginative and emotional sendoff. New characters were introduced in effective ways, the gang behaved as if they were picking up from the events of Season 3 (jokingly referring to Season 4 as a gas leak). Abed experiences a breakdown while studying Nicolas Cage, Subway tries to take over the school and the gang "Fat Dogs" for midterms. The Yahoo season was weirdly lit and introduced some new characters but still boasted excellent episodes around road trips, virtual reality and yes- paintball.

Did it stick?: Actually yes. As weird as the Yahoo! season sometimes felt, we got a very tender and emotionally gratifying series finale. Shame we probably won't get that movie though. The cast is too big now, especially Donald Glover, whom Dan Harmon refuses to make another Community project without. Pretty cool to see the episode directors go on to take charge of the MCU and insert Community actors into each of their movies though.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show/Cartoon/Anime: Enterprise
Lull: Season 2
Rebound: The Xindi Arc in season 3
Did it stick?: Yes, both season 3/4 stuck right up until it's last episode via cancellation (which stank)

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are down on the post Sorkin seasons of The West Wing 5, 6 and 7, but 7 was definitely one of their best seasons of the series.

Bandini

Oct 25, 2017
Show/Cartoon/Anime: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Lull: Season 1 Episodes 1-15. S3 debatable
Rebound: S2, S4+
Did it stick?: Yes, it's legit. Season 4 is the best single season of any comic book show.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I think Arrow did this. Season 3-4 both saw steady decline in quality. Then BOOM Season 5 hit and holy hell was it top of the food chain again for its family of shows. Since then, it's been good-average but hasn't come close to sinking as low as it did during Season 3-4.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it stick?: Yes, it's legit. Season 4 is the best single season of any comic book show.
No lies detected. Everything stacked and built up perfectly. Introduced a new hero, only to bring him back for the end of the season so they didn't overexpose the audience.

Deleted member 4179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion:

X-Files season 7 was by far the worst, and Doggett and eventually Reyes were the shot in the arm that it needed to keep going for a couple seasons more.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'd argue that Battlestar Galactica's quality takes a nosedive after the first few episodes of Season 3. The rest of the season is a mixture of yawn-worthy "threat-of-the-week" episodes and the overall plot mostly going nowhere.

They made a character fat with one of the worst fat suits in TV history and treated it as a sizable plot point.

Season 4, while never quite as consistent as S1-2, is a massive across the board improvement and has probably my favourite arc in the show in

the mutiny episodes.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show/Cartoon/Anime: House of Cards
Lull: Season 3
Rebound: S4
Did it stick?: No, they totally jumped the shark and it was absolutely insane. I did not even watch Season 6, especially since Spacey got #Metoo'd and I just don't know how they could justify Season 6 existing without Spacey.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Unpopular opinion:

X-Files season 7 was by far the worst, and Doggett and eventually Reyes were the shot in the arm that it needed to keep going for a couple seasons more.
YES. THANK YOU.

I was angry at Doggett when I was a kid, I saw him as someone who took Mulder away. Revisiting Season 8 as an adult made me realize how much better it was than Season 7 and how damn likeable Doggett becomes with each passing episode. Some standout Doggett episodes- 4D, John Doe, Redrum.

I was also reminded that Mulder does come back and features prominently in the second half. The Season 8 finale gives Mulder and Scully a happy ending and probably should have served as the true ending to the show.

I don't want to talk about Season 10.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Show/Cartoon/Anime: Legends of Tomorrow

Lull: S1 was pretty much trash. At best you could say the concept of the show, where they take characters from previous shows to form a team, showed some small promise. But the big bad and some of the team members really dragged down the season.

Rebound: S2 is when the show began making a lot of changes. It got rid of the big bad, as well as the weakest team members (Hawkpeople).The show also began leaning a lot more towards humor and goofiness, framing the Legends as a group of lovable idiots, a makeshift family that gets the job done despite their unorthodox methods. The villains were also much better.

Did it stick?: Yes, S3 was even better about its new approach, with it reaching its apex in the S3 finale in how they hilariously dealt with the main villain. S4 is also quality as well.

Preach

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anime: Pokémon

Lull: Best Wishes (Unova). While the Best Wishes series has its good qualities, as a whole it was a serious downgrade from what came before. Ash regressed in a really unbelievable way, the Pokémon balance was awful (Palpitoad got shafted hard), Team Rocket stopped being comic relief and became incredibly boring, and the main villain plot unfortunately had to be written out for most of the series. The latter issue led to much of the series (particularly Team Rocket themselves) feeling very aimless.

Rebound: XY(Z). This series fires on all cylinders from its first episode. The animation gets a huge bump in quality, and actually manages to stay great throughout. Ash is competent, as are his opponents, which leads to many memorable battles. Team Flare work well as villains, and actually get a sustained, interesting arc throughout the entire final season. Team Rocket is restored to their comedic glory. The filler episodes are generally more interesting than ever. While Serena is probably Ash's least compelling female companion, Clemont and Bonnie are extremely good. If Hoenn's Max is how not to do a kid character, Bonnie is how to do one right. Great animation + great cast + great battles make for a really enjoyable watch.

Did it stick?: Absolutely. The current series, Sun and Moon, is arguably the best Pokémon has ever been, and generally for completely different reasons. If XY goes full shonen, SM leans hard into slice of life and it works really well. The comedy is fantastic.The art style is divisive (I love it), but the animation is undeniably excellent. While watching, I really get the sense that the team was able to let loose and have fun with the series in a way they never have before. I also have to mention Team Rocket because oh my god they're so amazing in SM. They're hilarious. Also my favorite motto of theirs? Normally the changed mottos are pretty bad, but it's really good here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Show: The Walking Dead
Lull: Season S7, S8
Rebound: S9
Did it stick?: So far, season 9 was a big jump up, just hope it stays that way come October.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Arrow did this. Season 3-4 both saw steady decline in quality. Then BOOM Season 5 hit and holy hell was it top of the food chain again for its family of shows. Since then, it's been good-average but hasn't come close to sinking as low as it did during Season 3-4.
Yep, saw this thread and immediately thought of Arrow.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I came to say Angel but someone beat me.

But I also thought of Scrubs which has a pretty bad season 6 and 7 then closes with a pretty good season 8. Although a lot of people might argue it starts dipping in quality sooner than season 6 I think it's still a pretty good show until about then.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
some would say Smallville was never good to begin with, but I'd say that the show rebounded in its later seasons when it just more or less became Superman the show in all but name and appearance.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on my memory, The Office (US) went downhill right before Steve Carell left and was struggling for a while but it rebounded somewhat.