• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Owned an Panasonic Plasma TV form 2011 till earlier this year. Panasonic TX-P55VT50E
An amazing TV, served me well for the 8 years I had it.
Then I moved and sitting 13ft away from the TV was way to far for 55 inch, so I invested in an 1080p projector ( Optoma HD29H) and a 100 inch screen.
Nice Upgrade, even If I miss the Blacks a bit.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have a 60" 2017 E series from Vizio. I wouldn't call it a top-tier set or anything, but it's pretty nice and I got it very cheap. It's my first 4K/HDR TV and it felt like a huge step up from the no-brand HDTV I got for $200 in 2013.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
65" LG 9500 OLED
Sony 55" W900

Had a 65" Samsung which I gave to my mom

Will probably look into buying a new OLED next year.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2018 Sony xbr something something- 65 inch 4k hdr10 - I couldn't justify the cost for oled anyway but I have that set because a flood insurance claim (ironically a minor leak in a bathroom turned into a major flood when the original flood remediation company broke a pipe "repairing the small leak and trashed three floors including my 2016 tv) meant I had to replace with equivalent model and price - so it was an upgrade but not on my schedule.

During this Black Friday I finally jumped on something I had my eye on- we use the Sony in the game/movie space in the basement and Mrs didn't want a tv in our living room- but watches a lot of football and tennis so I was able to convince her that a Samsung Frame would be "hidden " in plain sight.

tFwEFed.jpg

Samsung stock photography showing ideal installation in top perfect home. Scroll down for gahiggidy's basement truth.

so far so good - it's a 55 inch qled and although "art mode" is the killer app it's actually remarkably good for games and movies and a better tv than the Sony.

YMhdJ96.jpg
Opened west facing blinds to see how direct sunlight would impact glare. Really good in fact and very watchable.

The flush mounting hardware was a joy to install (do NOT use the shitty included lag screws because unless your studs are made of chocolate you're going to instantly strip them- I wish companies wouldn't cheap out on essential basics but I tested one and noped all the way to the hardware store for some quality torx flush head screws made of decent metal) and the included template made it easy as hell to install. I leveled it with a laser but the mounting bracket actually rotates allowing you to adjust level after installation- so ballpark is actually okay. Just find your studs, tape the template to the wall and drill guide holes into appropriate studs.

it comes with the mounting bracket and an "invisible" thin fiber optic cable that carries power and video to the separate breakout box so even if you don't want to cut drywall to hide cables it's pretty inoffensive.

I have a houseguest sleeping in that room for a little bit but after they leave I'm going to hide the cable inside smurf tube for a perfectly clean look.

you can buy different bezels to change the frame to match decor but it comes with a black aluminum one. I doubt I'll ever change it unless it's HEAVILY discounted- about $200 for a new bezel is too much for my blood.

Art mode is great- comes with a bunch of photos and licensed and public domain paintings- but you can add your own via smartphone or a usb stick. You can subscribe for more art but no thanks when there's so much wallpaper out there for free. You can simply full screen a picture or customize "mats" in the interface- they're actually pretty convincing.

YMhdJ96.jpg
Opened west facing blinds to see how direct sunlight would impact glare. Really good in fact and very watchable.

there's an "intelligent " light and motion sensor that will adjust art based on room conditions (or turn off when nobody's in the room) and while an av fan is going to see emissive imagery- we did a couple of blind tests on victims who genuinely assumed it was flat reflective art. I'm told it works better in some places than others but it's waaaaaay more convincing than I expected even after demoing at Magnolia.

AgyJlCy.jpg

Chair currently hiding "invisible" cable but it's really very discreet.

shockingly for a bezel-zero flush mounted TV the audio is fantastic. It would be good anyway but I'm genuinely blown away by the default speakers. I am replacing them with an atmos capable Echo Studio when they're back in stock but since this is for sports games and art and maybe the occasional movie or game , I think even that's overdoing it but the Studio speaker will do double duty on radio and whole house music.

Games are fantastic with the 2019 model- it has support for everything except Dolby Vision and there's even frame rate and sync support (not available on smaller models of the same set so check specs).

really happy with this thing and will be happier still after I bury that cable.

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have a 46" Samsung from 2011 or so. It's...fine.

It's 1080p, obviously, not the thinnest TV in the world, is kind of small and has stupid capacitive buttons on the front, but it has a matte finish and is still working well. I'll replace it eventually.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 55'' LG C7 4K OLED in the main room and a Philips 55'' 4K LED 7304 in the back room (my lair). The OLED is clearly better in all respects but the Phillips was cheap, gives a reasonable picture, especially with a good source, and seems to have low latency - and has ambilight.

Did you find any info on the Philips anywhere? I'm struggling to find any reviews. I'm interested in getting a 43'' one but I don't know if it's properly built for gaming: I've read that it could be 50hz only or have bad input lag... I'm undecided and afraid the promotion at the nice price I've found goes off (again).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Panasonic VT65, from just a month or two before Panasonic ended plasma production. It's not as intensely bright as more modern sets, but it still looks great.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you find any info on the Philips anywhere? I'm struggling to find any reviews. I'm interested in getting a 43'' one but I don't know if it's properly built for gaming: I've read that it could be 50hz only or have bad input lag... I'm undecided and afraid the promotion at the nice price I've found goes off (again).

Pretty sure it's not 50hz only - that would be very unusual wouldn't it?

As for lag, I haven't found it a problem in game mode. The numbers suggest it's about average IIRC but I've played SNES games on it and it seems ok

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
6 year old Vizio 55 inch, was a high end model at the time. I'm considering replacing it since it's only 1080p, but it still works perfectly so I can't really find a pressing need. My internet connection isn't good enough to reliably streak 4K anyway.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
32" 1080p Insignia TV. Had it for almost 8 years.

I use it sometimes. That'll probably change later this year though.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung 82" Q60 QLED, and I fracking LOVE it. This TV is amazing in so many ways, I'm so glad I bought it.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
32" 1080p LG TV that I got back at the end of 2013. I keep getting tempted to upgrade but before I can pull the trigger I end up not bothering. The picture is good, it works well so I dunno.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Only an old 30" 720p Phillips tv from like 2008 or such. I only keep it around because it has surprisingly good IQ and pairs well with my PS3/360. Wii and gen 6 consoles also look passable on it.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Some 40-inch JVC LED 1080p with a DVD player. I got it free :)
Before that, I was using a 32-inch VIewSonic monitor.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have a 55" Panasonic plasma that is used in the home theater. This was a hand me down from my father-in-law that we have had for ~10 years at this point.
I definitely want to upgrade to something more modern, and a bit larger, but I just have no reason to at the moment.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Our last TV was starting to play up and so we had to replace it in May 2018.

I didnt want to spend a lot of money and managed to find the Hisense 50N6800 for just over ÂŁ400 on sale which was an amazing price for a 4K TV. Was weary at first considering I had never heard of the brand before but after some research it seemed they were actually very well received and cheap too so took the plunge.

Been really happy with it, dont have a 4K Blu Ray player yet but my PS4 Pro content looks fantastic. Was tempted to pick up a cheap Xbox One so I could play 4K Blu Rays but figured I would wait for the PS5. Already have Infinity War and Into the Spiderverse on 4K waiting to watch.
81SZfj5J+5L._AC_SS350_.jpg

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I have the 55inch Sony Bravia KD55S8505, which I've had for about 5 years now and still love it - it's crystal clear 4K and does everything I need it to. I used to be a Samsung guy for years but their remotes became these flat things and I hated them. So, I legitimately changed TV manufactures because of remotes, because I'm that guy.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We've got an LG 55SJ800V: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55SJ8000-4k-uhd-tv. Ultra HD, 55 inch, native 120 Hz, and Dolby Vision. I couldn't be more satisfied with it. Coupled with a Samsung HW-N550 soundbar.

No need to upgrade until 8K OLED televisions are mainstream, affordable, and they have enough content.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I own a $200 or $300 random TV I got from Wal-Mart. The brand is Element and it's 40 inches.

It would probably be considered a terrible TV, but I don't mind. I don't play games on it or anything, and I only ever watch sitcoms.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I own a 60" Samsung KS8000. Honestly, the only things I really don't like about it are the remote and the UI. I'll probably switch to something that uses Android TV as its UI, though I'm pleased enough with my KS8000 for now that I don't anticipate having to upgrade anytime soon.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it's not 50hz only - that would be very unusual wouldn't it?

As for lag, I haven't found it a problem in game mode. The numbers suggest it's about average IIRC but I've played SNES games on it and it seems ok

That's what I thought, and everywhere seems to state 60hz, but who knows with these things and a manufacturer that only sells in Europe and the UK.
The game mode may be good if it fully supports hdr and has a nice enough visual quality, which I've read mixed things about in avforums and such, so I don't know what to believe still, lol. And regarding input lag, some user on another forum told me 38ms, one review said 30ms and another said about 21ms. So what in the hell should I know, I guess I'll take your word on it but, is it bad outside game mode?

Btw yours is 55' so it must be IPS right? And image quality, HDR/blacks/contrast is really nice for the price? Seeing as you have also an OLED, and I guess you've had other LCDs in the past, would you recommend the Philips IPS as a good value set?

Thanks for your reply!

And sorry for going a bit offtopic but as I said I can't find a lot of educated info on this set.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I thought, and everywhere seems to state 60hz, but who knows with these things and a manufacturer that only sells in Europe and the UK.
The game mode may be good if it fully supports hdr and has a nice enough visual quality, which I've read mixed things about in avforums and such, so I don't know what to believe still, lol. And regarding input lag, some user on another forum told me 38ms, one review said 30ms and another said about 21ms. So what in the hell should I know, I guess I'll take your word on it but, is it bad outside game mode?

Btw yours is 55' so it must be IPS right? And image quality, HDR/blacks/contrast is really nice for the price? Seeing as you have also an OLED, and I guess you've had other LCDs in the past, would you recommend the Philips IPS as a good value set?

Thanks for your reply!

And sorry for going a bit offtopic but as I said I can't find a lot of educated info on this set.

I'm not sure about the IPS/VA thing but I can tell you that the picture does fall apart when not viewed head on. If you're going to be looking at this thing from an angle, I wouldn't get it. From head-on it's perfect. HDR looks great but it's not OLED so as long as you are realistic in your expectations you shouldn't be disappointed, high quality inputs look great. Blacks are fine as long as you are sitting head on.

On the negative side, the bezel is thick and non-premium, the OS is usable but nothing on WebOS, the controller is a laggy piece of shit at times (i don't really understand why this is so). There is some 'banding' on fast moving sports. I looked for it and I saw it but it was prominent enough to be obvious when I wasn't actively looking for it. I have had some problems with Modern Warfare HDR but I think that's just the game being buggy. Oh and the HDMI audio pass through is laggy as fuck if you're going to connect to 5.1 system that way, I had to back haul sound with optic cables from all my inputs. I find that's a common problem but not everyone seems to notice lipsync issues.

I paid about ÂŁ600 for it, on sale and I think that's a fair price. The best thing about the TV is the ambilight and the way it connects to other hue lights. Some may find that a bit gimmicky, which I suppose it is BUT if you're not keen on ambilight, that is a big feature and part of what you're paying for and the backlighting does improve the IQ due to the contrast (the literal contrast between the light behind the TV and blacks on the TV). If ambilight means nothing to you, you might find other sets that are as good value for money.

It's a very midrange set. I used to have a top of the range Samsung LED from 2012. That had better viewing angles but was smaller, no HDR, no 4K.

Hope that helps, buying a TV is nightmare. Sometimes it's easy when you're not spending top dollar though because you expect some imperfections, where as when you go top of the range any flaws are really annoying.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about the IPS/VA thing but I can tell you that the picture does fall apart when not viewed head on. If you're going to be looking at this thing from an angle, I wouldn't get it. From head-on it's perfect. HDR looks great but it's not OLED so as long as you are realistic in your expectations you shouldn't be disappointed, high quality inputs look great. Blacks are fine as long as you are sitting head on.

On the negative side, the bezel is thick and non-premium, the OS is usable but nothing on WebOS, the controller is a laggy piece of shit at times (i don't really understand why this is so). There is some 'banding' on fast moving sports. I looked for it and I saw it but it was prominent enough to be obvious when I wasn't actively looking for it. I have had some problems with Modern Warfare HDR but I think that's just the game being buggy. Oh and the HDMI audio pass through is laggy as fuck if you're going to connect to 5.1 system that way, I had to back haul sound with optic cables from all my inputs. I find that's a common problem but not everyone seems to notice lipsync issues.

I paid about ÂŁ600 for it, on sale and I think that's a fair price. The best thing about the TV is the ambilight and the way it connects to other hue lights. Some may find that a bit gimmicky, which I suppose it is BUT if you're not keen on ambilight, that is a big feature and part of what you're paying for and the backlighting does improve the IQ due to the contrast (the literal contrast between the light behind the TV and blacks on the TV). If ambilight means nothing to you, you might find other sets that are as good value for money.

It's a very midrange set. I used to have a top of the range Samsung LED from 2012. That had better viewing angles but was smaller, no HDR, no 4K.

Hope that helps, buying a TV is nightmare. Sometimes it's easy when you're not spending top dollar though because you expect some imperfections, where as when you go top of the range any flaws are really annoying.

Yeah, it helps so thanks a lot! It is a nightmare; for me, it's been about 9 or more years I don't buy one and that one was blindly and I got lucky. Three days ago I had mostly no idea on current tv tech so here I am trying to learn first. The thing with going for mid range is trying to decide which compromise suits you best and then realizing you want everytning, lol. High range LCD costing mostly the same as OLED doesn't help either.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the 55" TCL Roku TV, the better one, I dunno the call letters for it but it was the one a lot of gaming sites recommended. ~2018 model I think.

I really like it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it helps so thanks a lot! It is a nightmare; for me, it's been about 9 or more years I don't buy one and that one was blindly and I got lucky. Three days ago I had mostly no idea on current tv tech so here I am trying to learn first. The thing with going for mid range is trying to decide which compromise suits you best and then realizing you want everytning, lol. High range LCD costing mostly the same as OLED doesn't help either.

One you buy one, you have two routes imo. If you are the kind of person who is happy to go through the hassle of returning the set if you don't like it, then by all means go through it with a fine tooth comb. If you are the kind of person that realistically is not going to bother your arse sending it back then, whatever set you get, don't go looking for flaws. Just say 'fuck it' and accept it. If you look for flaws you will find them and if you find them they will bug the fuck out of you.

Feb 10, 2018

It has terrible viewing angles, but it's great for me as I watch it dead on. It has fantastic black levels for a back-lit led and it is 4k, games and movies look great on it. I was getting this TV as a hold me over TV because my last one broke and I just wanted a cheap TV ASAP.
But this TV is good enough for me that I will use it until it become majorly obsolete or breaks down.
4k 60fps is fine for me.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I have 50" Vizio (?) with a few small problems. It's got "4K" which is where my PS4 pro is hooked up, but I rarely use that. Sound comes out of my old stereo from 2001.

I had a 50" Panasonic plasma, but it self destructed repeatedly. I got pretty good at fixing it, but the prices for replacement parts kept rising. There was a part on it that would vibrate and crack open, apparently.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a 65" Sony X900F in December - fucking LOVING it. It's my first 4K TV (my first TV bigger than 40" too) and it's just sublime.