• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So based on the OP,"what's happening with 2019? Some good games and some bad games released".

That sounds like every other year?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Seems like a somewhat normal year, though the one two punch of Anthem and Crackdown both sucking ass in such close proximity makes it seem like a particularly bad year.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been a fantastic year so far , rivaling 2017 if not better . RE2 is almost a perfect reimagine , DMCV well I have been waiting for 11 years on it since DMC4 and it delivers , Apex is the the BR game I enjoyed the most , and Sekiro looks to be a baller . Also Metro Exodus , it has its controversies but that doesn't take away of it being an actual good game . While for the others , I'm not really bothered .

So , Q1 2019 : RE2 , DMCV , Apex , Sekiro
Q1 2017 : Nier Automata , HZD , Persona 5 (sorry , not a big fans of Zelda botw here)

comparable , no ?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Seems fine to me. It's been weird seeing previously reliable studios put out objectively awful games (Anthem, and late last year Fallout 76), but other studios are stepping up to fill that void well.

What confuses me is the lack of info we have for late 2019 games. Honestly, after Sekiro, I'm not sure what else to be hyped for =P Even Assassin's Creed has confirmed it's skipping 2019, so even some of the usual hype trains are absent this year. Could make for a super interesting E3 though, with lots of reveals and gameplay firsts, with less than 6 months to release date.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Anime games are mostly bad, with a few exceptions. Really just looking at preview footage I could see Jump Force would be not to my liking (while last year I could instantly tell Fighterz would be something I'd enjoy). As for One Piece, I completely forgot that game even existed...

Capcom's two games always looked great, and they've been on a roll so I'm not really surprised that I'm loving both of them.

KH3... I love the Disney worlds, love the presentation (graphics and sound are amazing). Only let down really was the end story and cutscene pacing (too many breaks in the action) and the combat being a step back from KH2 (far too easy and had less depth I felt) but I still enjoyed it. I still want to go back and do more stuff completion wise.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The argument in the original post appeared to me to be based on feelings, but referencing something quantifiable (Metacritic scores). So I thought I'd see if there really was any quantitative evidence that games are "worse" or more disappointing this year.

Metacritic doesn't make it easy to get data. In fact, it appears to be intentionally as much of a pain in the ass as possible. So I took data from GameRankings, which is....still a pain in the ass, but slightly less so. I also needed to limit the number of games somehow (when the topic is about games like Anthem there's probably no point in looking at dozens of mobile games), so I picked PS4 games only, on the assumption that this would be a largely representative sample of games released in 2018 and 2019. GameRankings rather pretentiously gives scores out of 100 with two decimal places, so I narrow scores down to ranges - 9 for anything getting between 90% and 100%, 8 for anything getting between 80% and 90%, etc.

Here's the results:

TyqTelB.png

As a percentage, more games in 2019 are getting 9s (this is just RE2 so far, but only 6 of the games I looked at got 9 in 2018), 8s and 7s. Proportionally far fewer games are getting 6s. On the whole, games this year appear to be reviewing slightly better than games last year.

Being disappointed in 2019 is a totally valid opinion, but it doesn't seem to be backed up by anything you can quantify.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
So with Apex, RE2, DMC5, Sekiro this year is definitely on par then
Sure, on par is what I would probably describe it as. It could have been one of the greatest Q1s if some of the riskier, big games like Crackdown 3 and Anthem actually turned out to be good to great.

It just isn't out of the ordinary at this point to have strong Q1s for quality games.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This year is only being like that because never before we got so many games in the first 2 months if the year. It's absurd how many high profile games just released. So, the stinkers piled up fast.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I think is gaming generation fatigue, We need more capable hardware that can push developers more. If you manage to read reviews lately you heard a lot of much the same phrase.

Oct 25, 2017
DMC 5 and Sekiro (if the whole game is as good as the demo I've played, it's gonna be amazing) in one month is gaming heaven. The Division 2 is great as well apparently, though I have no interest in it myself.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Apex Champions to the rescue :D, seriously what a fun ride it's been with Apex and Capcom's super strong and great games RE2 and DMC5 releases alongside Namco's Ace Combat 7, glorious year already in my book. Can't wait for Days Gone and the rest!

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Touhou Luna Nights, Baba Is You, and Hypnospace Outlaw are all (apparently) great, and I have high hopes for Sekiro. Happy camper over here!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's like this every year but we hardly pay attention to it because Metacritic oft gave a shit game a 70-80 regardless.
It is like this most years... but 2017 is still a fresh memory for a lot of people and that year we simply got spoiled with that 1st quarter bounty where everyone stepped up and delivered instead of well, just Capcom and Respawn.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like anthem was pushed out the door. The other games you listed were not games I expected to be good. This year has been great though. Apex legends and baba is you are the standout games for me that went on your list. So far I feel like 2019 is on par with 2018

Oct 25, 2017
Who had high expectations for Crackdown 3, Jump Force or Anthem?
And which year had so many big/good releases in its first two months?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Apex Legends, RE2, DMC 5 and Sekiro in the first 3 months.

This is better than 2018 and 2016.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 was fun.

Yeah. CD3 is the victim of MS lack of direction in the beginning of this gen. Jumping and navigation among skyscrapers is what the game was built around. Who's great idea it to add a mechanic to tear them down. I know Im in the minority here but I'm glad that idea never panned out. Because the campaign component of CD3 is exactly what I wanted in a sequel. I finished the game a few days ago and am now working to find all the orbs. Whoever thought about dividing the map into sections with their own count of agility and hidden orbs is a freaking saint!

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The games have been really good this year and there are more coming, but there is nothing I'm incredibly hyped for.

I'm definitely ready for next gen.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It just seems like a normal mixed bag of hits and disappointments. 2017 was the strange outlier where virtually every release surpassed expectation.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
????

So there were bad games and good games released... just like every other year ever?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Again with the CD3 hate :(
I mean, I know it's a huge disappointment - it really is and it should be so much more - but I had so much fun beating it, and still launch it to find a stray orb every now and again.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Throw the latest Trials game onto this dumpster fire of franchises released in 2019 that have disappointed. I thought the basic Trials formula was a home run smash hit every time, and yet... Ubi & Redlynx somehow managed to completely ruin one of their most fan-enthusiastic franchises... for fucking no reason. People who have been franchises of the series since the first Trials HD game on Xbox 360 are now, universally, like "Wtf Redlynx why did you do this?"

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How long you been gaming OP? Not every year is gonna be 12 months of bangers....and we're only in month 3 as well.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2, Apex Legends, and Wargroove are all awesome and right up my street. Apex was even free. It's been a great year so far for me. There are also some games on the horizon that I'm freaking out about like Spelunky 2.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. At least for me, this year has been super disappointing so far.

It might be due to having too high expectations in part (Exodus...), but there's also been a lot of legit disappointments (Anthem...).

Hopefully Sekiro, Division 2, Sinking City and Days Gone will deliver the goods.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
This year has seen some great games already (Resident Evil 2, Ace Combat 7, DMC V, and some others), but pretty much everything else that's released this year has either disappointed people or been incredibly divisive at best. Crackdown 3, Jump Force, Anthem, One Piece World Seeker all are in the 50-60 MC range, games like Metro Exodus launched in a poor technical state on consoles on top of the EGS controversy, Kingdom Hearts 3 has been incredibly divisive between fans...

Considering how this looked like it was going to be an amazing first quarter, it's a little disappointing. Thank God Capcom exists.

I don' know what to say to you, OP

You were expecting that Crackdown 3, Jump Force and One Piece to be critically acclaimed ?

People were expecting a great first quarter because of the great games that you've mentioned.

And KH 3 has an 83 metacritic, and also had great reception from what I could gather from the threads around here

The situation seems to be exaggerated on your part

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been an awesome year for me so far. Resident Evil 2, Wargroove, Ape Out, Devil May Cry 5, Baba Is You... if Sekiro delivers next week, this year will outdo 2018 in its entirety for me.... and there's an incredible amount of software I'm anticipating in 2019's second half.

Shovel Knight: King of Cards
Super Mario Maker 2
Judgement (please don't get cancelled)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Control
Astral Chain
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Luigi's Mansion 3
Daemon X Machina
Gears of War 5
The Last of Us Part 2 (fingers crossed)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Pokémon Sword and Shield

2019 is looking real good from my perspective.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Games gonna game.

Did anyone seriously expect Crackdown 3 to not come out in a questionable state given its years of development hell? Or for Kingdom Hearts 3, a game that fans have been waiting for over a decade in a series renown to be a clusterfuck, to not be divisive?
Yeah i don't have an XboxOne but i was certainly hoping for Crackdown to be great. I had so much fun with Crackdown 1 and i think they nailed the looks of it.
I still think i would have fun with it. But i'll probably never know.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
KH3 is divisive? Since when?

This feels like another "Super Mario Odyssey is the most divisive game in the series" moment to me (not saying KH3 is as good, but still).

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It's seems to be on par with every year to be honest with you.

Some years or worse then others.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Metro Exoxus is one of the best games I've played this gen and Sekiro comes out next week. Anthem may be getting trashed but The Division 2 is getting tons of praise.

Looks fine from where I'm at.