• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This year has seen some great games already (Resident Evil 2, Ace Combat 7, DMC V, and some others), but pretty much everything else that's released this year has either disappointed people or been incredibly divisive at best. Crackdown 3, Jump Force, Anthem, One Piece World Seeker all are in the 50-60 MC range, games like Metro Exodus launched in a poor technical state on consoles on top of the EGS controversy, Kingdom Hearts 3 has been incredibly divisive between fans...

Considering how this looked like it was going to be an amazing first quarter, it's a little disappointing. Thank God Capcom exists.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Games gonna game.

Did anyone seriously expect Crackdown 3 to not come out in a questionable state given its years of development hell? Or for Kingdom Hearts 3, a game that fans have been waiting for over a decade in a series renown to be a clusterfuck, to not be divisive?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's like this every year but we hardly pay attention to it because Metacritic oft gave a shit game a 70-80 regardless.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Apex came out this year. I wasn't even a BR guy before that game but boy is it good.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Crackdown 3, Jump Force, Anthem, One Piece World Seeker all are in the 50-60 MC range, games like Metro Exodus launched in a poor technical state on consoles on top of the EGS controversy, Kingdom Hearts 3 has been incredibly divisive between fans...
Never bet on Anime.

As far as KHIII goes, that game came with years worth of baggage and expectations. It could've been better, but it was never gonna materialize in the way that fans wanted.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So there's been some good/great games, some bad games, and some games released in questionable states...sounds like every year.

Chary

Mar 15, 2018
GBAtemp
Crackdown and Jump Force were never promising. Anime games like One Piece: World Seeker usually get low scores anyway. I don't see anything shocking with the listed titles' reception. Except Anthem, a little.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm pretty sure there is nothing abnormal going on with games in 2019 in the 3 months that we have been in 2019. There's been some good ones, and there's been some not as good ones, just like every year.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

What? it runs great on base PS4. one of the best looking games this gen.

it has been an outstanding quarter overall, and its not just Capcom. there are also games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and DOA6, also Yoshi is coming before the end of the month.

for niche lovers like me, I'm gonna get The Caligula Effect Overdose soon too.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
I haven't played KH3 and seeing that it's pretty divisive, I'll reserve judgement but does it surprise anyone that anthem, crackdown, and two shonen jump games didn't turn out well? They all screamed trouble from the word go.

The two Capcom games looked sick from the moment they got shown and totally are.

It's the end of the fiscal year and publishers had to finally get a lot of that trash out the door. Especially Microsoft, Jesus I cant imagine the money they dumped into crackdown.

Skbzi

Jun 1, 2018
Katy, TX
Based on what we have gotten so far, I'd say the good games outweigh the bad ones by a pretty good margin....or it may just be a 50/50 split now that I think about it.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What? it runs great on base PS4. one of the best looking games this gen.

it has been an outstanding quarter overall, and its not just Capcom. there is also games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and DOA6, also Yoshi is coming before the end of the month.

for niche lovers like me, I'm gonna get The Caligula Effect Overdose soon too.
The subreddit was full of people complaining about how it ran on console, Caddicarus' review also mentioned it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Anime licensed games have always been subpar with very few exceptions, not sure what you were really expecting.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've also been enjoying Dirt Rally 2 and Trials Rising but I guess some just expect more and more and we are only into March.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
How many other year have 3 GOTY contenders in the first 3 months?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved KH3. The rest of the year is rather uninteresting for me, except Judgement... if it comes out in the West :(
I think I'm finally at that point when I can't wait for next gen to be announced.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 was divisive among fans?

We've definitely had way more big misses than is typical, but /shrug. A lot of them could be seen from a mile away (Crackdown 3, Jump Force and One Piece: World Seeker in particular).

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two of the best indies of the last couple of years just released in Hypnospace Outlaw and Baba Is You, Game of the Year Sekiro is about to release and GTA V RP is blowing up on Twitch. So there's a lot of good.

It's mainly just the culture around gaming being especially bad, with Epic being monsters and fucking up the PC space, what feels like a souring relationship between the people that play games and those that make them, streaming apparently becoming the new norm when the United States doesn't have the broadband infrastructure to facilitate it, Valve being an absentee parent and Gamergate-esque toxicity feeling like the new norm.

But, hey, Alex Legends is real good, amirite?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metro Exodus was great. Far Cry New Dawn was great. Speaking as a PC gamer, fawning review scores have never been the measuring stick for a good gaming period considering our idea of best game ever (the likes of STALKER and Hitman) often scores in the low 80s at best. It's only three months into 2019, and there have been some great games already, with more to come in the next few months. I'm particularly looking forward to Ion Maiden.

Not to mention the standalone version of Enderal+Forgotten Stories released last month, and is one of the best RPGs of the decade.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
honestly-nothingspecial-38885574.png

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
FighterZ and Naruto games are really good
Those aren't C tier anime games. At least not FighterZ.

Jump force was doomed from day 0. You couldn't expect anything but a 60-70 game, judging by metacritic scores. Is a fun game and stuff, but after you see all the characters special combos and etc, that's it.

Jul 5, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 3 and Metro Exodus have gotten positive reviews, so I don't know why you have them as a negative. I've played both and thought they were great games, particularly KH3.

Combined with REmake 2 and DMC5, I think 2019 is off to a fantastic start.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
Wargroove came out, and is super awesome.

I don't really see this year's start as any more dicey than a typical year.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like an entirely typical year so far. A handful of disappointments, some mediocre games, and some gems that remind us how enjoyable this hobby can be.

If anything, the most notable thing is we're getting two exceptional action games this month, Devil May Cry 5 and Sekiro. High quality and high profile releases in the action genre tend to be few and far between, so this is one hell of a special March for action fans like me.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I have zero issues with 2019 so far. I just wish I knew why I was never excited for Anthem. I feel like all the preview content was of a super average game and when it released like that everyone acted really surprised?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why did the OP neglect Division 2 and Apex Legends - two excellent games - in his analysis?

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Not every year can be 2017, where every major release was spectacular and you didn't even know where to start.

But also these first 2 months have been packed (none of the releases particularly interested me however so I haven't been playing much) and that is bound to have a lot score variety with good and bad stuff.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I would say what's been surprising is what games have been great vs what games have been disappointments.

I would've predicted:

Anthem would be awesome
DMC 5 would just be ok
Kingdom Hearts 3 to be terrible
Crackdown 3 to be a fun, reasonably polished game

But instead:

Anthem is a hot mess (both in design & execution)
DMC 5 is incredible
Kingdom Hearts 3 is polished and true to the series
Crackdown is an unpolished, mish-mash of a game
Apex Legends exists. And is awesome.

The proportion of good/bad major titles seems to me to be typical. But which ones turned out to be which, has been surprising.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
With Apex, DMC 5, RE2, KH3, AC7, DOA6, and Sekiro (Tenchu!) almost here, I am pretty happy.

I really don't know what is wrong. Actually, it feels like my childhood over again!