• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which generation had the best racing games overall?

• 3rd Generation (NES)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4th Generation (SNES, Genesis)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 5th Generation (N64, Playstation, Saturn)

Votes: 34 15.2%
  • 6th Generation (Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube)

Votes: 113 50.7%
  • 7th Generation (Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • 8th Generation (PS4, Xbox One, WIi U)

Votes: 34 15.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
For me personally, I had to go with the 5th generation (N64 era), it was the zenith for arcade racing games in my opinion. Or games that really took inspiration from the less realistic styles of racing games and created something of their own. N64 also had Beetle Adventure Racing, which IMO is hands down one of the best racing games ever made. Perhaps the best in my eyes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I guess there isn't one gen for me. My favorite racing games are Jak X, Mario Kart Wii, 8 and maybe Double Dash, and CTR Remake, which are all from different gens.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Horizon 4 easily besides Mario Kart but that's it's own thing really.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
7th Gen had the NFS Shift series, Dirt 2/3, and Burnout Paradise all of which I played way too much of.

Edit: Also, ProStreet. Shit is so underrated.

Double Edit: I own ProStreet on Amazon...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
6th with 7th being a close second, there was more variety and fun in the 6th but 7th had perfected the formula for many of them. 8th gen takes that formula and ups the graphics but its probably 6th just for sheer variety

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Gen 6 has and I know I'm forgetting some

Outrun 2
Burnout 3
Mario Kart Double Dash
F Zero GX wink wink
Gran Turismo 4
Ridge Racer 5 I think

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Ridge Racer Type 4 is the GOAT, but 6th gen is better overall. Burnout 3, F-Zero GX, Outrun 2, Project Gotham Racing 2...

The only thing that gen missed for me was Wipeout, but the PS2 got a late port of Wipeout Pulse in 2009, so I'll count that.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
FH4 is my favorite ever but 7th gen had Pure, PGR 4, Burnout Paradise, Forzas, Dirts

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
6th gen blows everything out of the water.
- Burnout 3 Takedown (the GOAT)
- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
- Underground
- Underground 2
- Midnight Club 3
- Project Gotham Racing 2
- F-Zero GX
- Midnight Club 3
- Gran Turismo 3 and 4
- Toca Race Driver games
- Colin Mcrae Rally
- WRC 1-4
- ATV Offroad Fury series
- Flatout 2
- MX vs ATV Unleashed

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
- Underground
- Underground 2
- Midnight Club 3
- F-Zero GX
- Midnight Club 3
- Gran Turismo 3 and 4
- Toca Race Driver games
- Colin Mcrae Rally
- WRC 1-4
- Flatout 2
- MX vs ATV Unleashed

Project Gotham Racing was such a disappointment.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the ps2/xbox/gc era

everything after that has been a dissapointment for me outside of early ps360

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Current generation imo.

As I've gotten older I've gravitated more towards sims, which due to the nature of the beast have never been better.

I don't believe arcade racers have improved mechanically since Daytona 2, Outrun 2 or later Wipeouts, so a lot of elder arcade racers have aged like milk to me and are better left for nostalgia purposes.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate numbering console generations as it's not even close to a universally agreed upon thing but I vote for the gen with OutRun 2 on Xbox. The previous gen ranks pretty high due to games like Waverace 64.

Why is the NES listed as the only console of its gen? The SMS had some of the big home racing games of its time.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Gen 6 wins off the strength of F-Zero GX and the Burnout franchise alone. Gen 7 did have my favorite though (MKDS), and gen 5 had the N64 which seemingly had a ton of arcadey racers.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
6th because there was something for everyone. Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, Midnight Club, the best Mario Kart, Twisted Metal, Burnout, etc.

I kinda just now realized that's also when I actually played racing games most since there seemed to be a lot that struck the balance between simulation and arcade, whereas nowadays it seems much more focused on the former.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
6th generation.
It had Gran Turismo 3 as an amazing game and Gran Turismo 4 as the best racing game of my life.
It had best, second and third Need for Speed games for me: Hot Pursuit 2, Underground and Most Wanted.
It had best arcade racing games of all times: Burnout 3&4.
And there were other great games too, from Forza Motorsport and Project Gotham Racing to Auto Modellista and...

7th generation was so good too. From GT5&6 to FM3&4 and Forza Horizon, it had lots of great racing games.

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly it was the 6th generation but it's laughable that this generation with its totaly penury and complete death of pure arcade racing is ahead of the 7th generation which had all time classics like Blur, Split/Second, Motorstorm etc.

People really are unduly unfavourable towards the 7th generation in general on this forum.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
6th gen was the era of racers for damn sure.

Project Gotham 2 was one of my favorites of all time.

Definitely dumped a lot of hours into Burnout 2 & 3 as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart sucked until Wii U.

I can't believe people are saying Double Dash was a good game. Fuck that game.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7th Gen had the NFS Shift series, Dirt 2/3, and Burnout Paradise all of which I played way too much of.

Edit: Also, ProStreet. Shit is so underrated.

Double Edit: I own ProStreet on Amazon...
Holy shit I forgot about ProStreet, that is a winner right there

My vote has to go 6th though. GT3, NFS Underground 1&2, Most Wanted, Mario Kart Double Dash, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Gen 7:
Midnight Club LA
FH1
FM2/3/4
GT6
Motorstorm
PGR4
MArio Kart 7
Burnout Paradise
NFS HP 2010, Most Wanted OG
TDU

Feb 1, 2018
NFS Underground and Underground 2, GT3 and 4 were my personal golden age of racing games

360 had PGR3, Forza 2, and NFS Most Wanted tho

Racing games used to push the culture with soundtracks and style, its a shame they're not influential like that anymore

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I have such a high fondness for the 7th and 5th generation with motor storm and need for speed. But the 5th having gran turismo before it became a full racing sim will have my fondest memories. Tho it's also tricky because the pa2 era had alot of fun racing games like ATV offroad furry 2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I watched someone punch a hole through a wall thanks to Double Dash

The game is just so fucking bland and boring. IMO, I've always thought the Mario Kart series starting with the Gamecube era, up to Mario Kart 8, suffered with that issue. Mario Kart Wii feels so barren and fucking lifeless, too.

Truth to be told, I HATE the fact that the series has come to represent racing games as a whole. The entire genre is not just some clone of that series, but gamers are lazy and lump every racing game that is remotely arcadey into Mario Kart.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
6th Gen.

It had everything. Absolutely everything.

Waverace (even decent Waverace knockoffs)
F Zero GX
Sledstorm
Need for Speed Underground
Midnight Club
Smugglers Run
Burnout
Mario Kart
Gran Turismo was still good
Project Gotham Racing
Midtown Madness
Wipeout
Xtreme G
Tons of Rallye games
Etc.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NFS Underground. Midnight Club 3. Burnout Takedown. Project Gotham Racing.

PS2 / Xbox easily.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
6th Gen.

It had everything. Absolutely everything.

Waverace (even decent Waverace knockoffs)
F Zero GX
Sledstorm
Need for Speed Underground
Midnight Club
Smugglers Run
Burnout
Mario Kart
Gran Turismo was still good
Project Gotham Racing
Midtown Madness
Wipeout
Xtreme G
Tons of Rallye games
Etc.

Sledstorm was pretty fun, I remember that game.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
This gen (8th) is pretty great for them. It's been mostly iterations of past series, but the modern Forza Horizon games, GT Sport, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, and Dirt Rally is a pretty great line up all for different reasons. FH has the open world, festival vibe with good music on lock. GT Sport has the best online system outside of iRacing. Project Cars 2 is very immersive. Assetto Corsa has many mods, including modded servers like the Shutoko Revival Project. Dirt Rally brought a more hardcore sim experience off road when most sims focus on on road (or maybe dirt track) experiences. I guess for more arcade racing games this hasn't been as great as PS2, but I prefer what we have now.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's a close call between 6th and 7th gen for me. Dreamcast and Xbox had tons of great racing games, one of which led to the Project Gotham series taking off on Xbox 360. I'd go with 6th gen primarily due to Sega Rally 2, MSR, PGR, PGR 2, and RalliSport Challenge 2. What a gen for racing fans!

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for 5th gen.
  • Gran Tourismo 1&2
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Episode 1 Racer
  • Wipeout
  • Rollcage
  • Colin McRae
  • Waverace
  • Daytonaaaaaaa

The nostalgia is strong for me.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
- Underground
- Underground 2
- Midnight Club 3
- F-Zero GX
- Midnight Club 3
- Gran Turismo 3 and 4
- Toca Race Driver games
- Colin Mcrae Rally
- WRC 1-4
- Flatout 2
- MX vs ATV Unleashed

Done.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Midnight Club 3 was a terrific game. One of the last racing games I really loved.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
5th because it even had isometric arcade racers like Overtop and Neo Drift Out with actual steering wheels. I'll set a wheel for it on MAME now that I read the thread

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Come to think of it though....

Perhaps no racing series is quite like Mario Kart, so it all balances out.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
1181242177126.jpg

I can still hear the sound of spinning the hell out of that wheel.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
Ridge Racer Type 4 is the GOAT, but 6th gen is better overall. Burnout 3, F-Zero GX, Outrun 2, Project Gotham Racing 2...

The only thing that gen missed for me was Wipeout, but the PS2 got a late port of Wipeout Pulse in 2009, so I'll count that.
You're forgetting wipEout fusion. It was pretty good once you got into it, but not nearly as sucker-punch stunning as most others in the series.