• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
In spite of all the craziness that happened and the very swift building of the Reset site and brand, the community is, at it's core, still the same one it was before. What did you feel like you got out of it, and what inclined you to jump through the initial hoops of registration to stay a part of it?

There's a lot of places to get game news, and even though the other place was a good site for that, it was far from the main reason I was there. The solidly left political stances of our community heads (both official and just well-known) made it really interesting to read about stuff I wasn't previously knowledgeable about. My family is very, very traditional. Muslim. So my upbringing was rooted in that, and I grew up with some really toxic beliefs about the role of women in society, homophobia, transphobia, racism, you name it man. These had started to fade by the time I joined GAF at age 17 but I really think it was seeing all the different perspectives that the people here offered that helped turn me into a more accepting, better person. I value my time spent here a lot for that. I feel like there's always something more to learn, especially in these heated political times, and I'm glad that I can look to some of ERA's intelligent and well-spoken posters to potentially learn something new.

I also really like that the general age of our demographic skews older. I used to spend a lot of time on other more focused gaming forums and by the time I hit my 20's it started feeling weird talking to a bunch of 13 year olds all the time. I like that a lot of Resetters have experienced things I haven't, because I'm just a 22 year old living in the US. It invites more interesting discussions about a broader range of subjects.

Finally a pretty basic one, there's a lot of people here with a lot of different interests. Whenever I would get into something new, the first thing I'd do is Google "___ NeoGAF" and nine times out of ten there were not just one but several threads about it. That's rad, dude. Soon enough we'll be able to start doing that for ERA too and I'm excited to be able to. As far as the older gaming forums went, it felt like if it wasn't a video game or anime you were kinda out of luck. If you went somewhere bigger like Reddit it just felt like an entirely different community. Here, I can talk about Melee with the same people I talk politics with. That's fucking cool.

Anyone else feel similarly?

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I went from not owning a dedicated camera to selling my first photos to a design company (last month) posting in the Photography OT the whole time. Getting advice on equipment, getting feedback on photos, being inspired to shoot photos.... It's been a really long journey and I was very worried about losing contact with that community, so I'm glad it appears most of the people were able to make the jump.

Oct 25, 2017
I love this community for a variety of reasons. The most integral aspect of it (for me) is that it gives minorities the same leverage as anyone else. I love how I can talk about LGBT representation in games and not just be called a "SJW" or be muted by people whom tell me I'm "forcing" my politics on them. It's nice to be treated with respect and humanity whilst talking about my passion; video games!