• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
It occurred to me that I managed to avoid paid DLC for quite a while before I finally ended up buying into it. I just didn't care for the idea; I preferred to spend what money I had on core games instead. Then Persona Q came out in 2014. It had returning personas that were DLC. They looked cool. They seemed useful for battles. I wanted them. So I dropped a couple bucks on something more or less trivial. But c'mon, they look cool:

ojHhP8H.png

What was the first DLC you purchased? When did you buy it, and what motivated you to do so?

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk if half life 2 episode 1 counts as dlc but it was part of the orange box back in 2010 when i got it.

Dehell

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake extensions, The Writer and The Signal. It was great stuff if you loved the main game. Those DLCs had some crazy levels and ideas.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't bought any DLC separately. The only DLC I get is through GOTY editions. Of those the first one was Fallout 3 if I remember correctly.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
All 3 Skyrim DLCs the same day they went on sale in the Xbox 360 marketplace. A friend downloaded his digital copy onto my console and I loved the game so much I decided to dish out monies for a game I didn't own!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell on Xbox.

I needed more Sam Fisher in my life.

And Now... that I think about it.. it was free DLC!

Don't you miss those days?

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably some of those outfits in Little Big Planet

First expansion DLC must've been Fallout 3

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My first and only DLC I bought so far and I've been playing for 25+ years now, was the Expansion pass including:

khjzpwxpdovxjd38ngsp.png

I had almost bought the The Last of Us DLC but didn't and got the PS4 Remaster that included it eventually.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was DLC for My Life As a King. I can't remember what it was though, it's been a long time!

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 - packs.
This game not only got me into the Musou franchise, but also got me into the Gundam franchise ^_^

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some stupid thing in PlayStation Home in 09 or so I suppose, I resisted for while though. I've still not bought any other dlc outside of that for some time - I think the next thing was some swimsuits or characters in DOA5 "Ultimate"... not sure. It definitely was some shoes or something like that for 0.49 in PS Home though lol. They lured me in... Still not big on dlc, the last one was the stupid arena mode in Nier Automata, love the game, but that dlc should've been free tbh.

rdam

Oct 26, 2017
For the Elder Scrolls Oblivion there was some new dungeons/houses you could clear out and then make your own.

Pretty sure the Pirate Ship for that was my first DLC.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The first map pack in CoD4. I absolutely hated that it was $15 for 4 maps but I knew I'd be screwed with my friends if I didn't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Halo 2 maps if we aren't counting pc game expansions? Can't remeber if return to Castle Wolfenstein or Rainbow Six 3 maps were free or paid for way back when on OG Xbox.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shivering Isles, a pretty good first impression compared to all the DLC that came before and most of what came after.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
To this day, I only purchased Bioshock Infinite's Season Pass, if I remember correctly only when there was a pricing mistake on Steam. It was well worth it - Burial at Sea was a cool little thing. Apart from that, I only experienced DLC through GotY/Definitive Editions.

I'm considering making another exception because of FFXV, though.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Elder scrolls IV oblivion, horse armor. Jesus, i was part of the problem.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
My first ever I can think of was back when Dead Rising: Case Zero came out a few months before 2. Pretty meaty prequel to 2 with a whole area devoted to it. Best part was it was only $5. As for dlc for a game, I think it might of been Red Dead Redemption's dlc with undead nightmare thrown in for like $20. I rarely if ever buy dlc still to this day. I guess I'm an old fart with video games, but I still believe in paying one price and getting everything together complete. I remember getting oblivion's and fallout 3's dlc only by borrowing the second disks that came with the game of the year edition that had all the dlc available to download from the disk. Back then the disk dlc wasn't tied to your account like code vouchers are today, so you could just pop in the dlc disk and download it unlimited times to diffrent accounts. I used gamefly to get shivering isles dlc for free for example. The only dlc I have recently bought was Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4's character dlc.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I bought 3 Oblivion DLCs to PC from Bethedas obliviondownloads website they had at the time, which was the only place to get them from if you wanted them on PC. The DLC installers failed (thank you DRM), and I actually never played them. It wasn't until I got the Knights of the Nine expansion on disc some half year later that also included the smaller DLCs, that I could play the DLCs.

A few years later I bought my next DLC, F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn, which was a huge disappointment.

So my first experiences with DLCs weren't that good :p

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost positive my first actual DLC was either in Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3. I can't remember. I bought the Oblivion GOTY so I suppose that could count as buying the DLC as well.

I bought all of the Mass Effect 2 & 3 DLC in 2013. Outside of those, most of what I buy is for RPGs. When done correctly, which to me means that there is added value to the game as opposed to feeling like cut content, then I'm fine with it. I was a sucker for some map packs back in the day though