• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I had this it was the sickest shit:

Tricks-of-the-Doom-Programming-Gurus-2048x2489.jpg

This right here. I still own my copy, torn to shit but heavily loved. I never published any WADs, but I created a bunch of tiny, stupid levels.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a billion mods for Unreal Tournament, from simple models to total conversions like Tactical Ops.

At some point UT was the only game I could fit on my 20GB hard drive, and from what I remember that game was released on 1 CD..

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Half Life.

I used to have a Windows 98 PC and I would buy PC Gamer. I didn't have the internet back then but the discs that came with the magazine would contain a selection of mods. In particular my favourite was a single player mod named Half Life: Darkstar. The game had a lot of effort put into it with new dialogue and textures added rather than solely relying on existing assets. Sadly it ended on a cliff hanger and there was never a part 2 made.

There was a cool bit where you were shrunk and so one room became almost like a complete level.

half_ussdarkstar_002.jpg

The mod took place on a spaceship called Darkstar and you had to escape.

You can see the ship had it's own unique look from Black Mesa. Also, is that a new enemy?

ds_08.jpg

If there are any retro PC gamers out there, I will say this game has quite a good length and high production values for a fan project. Alternatively, I recommend just reading about this mod.
I think Half-Life was the first one for me, too. I remember installing single player mods like this one and They Hunger. I think the multiplayer ones were already retail products by then, except for Day of Defeat.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong but I think it was dragon age origins for me. I added that storage chest for the camp made by someone from bioware.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
A freeware beat-em-up game called Little Fighter 2. I also had lots of fun modding Liero, another freeware game which is a realtime version of Worms.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age: Origins I think.
I actually revamped nearly every important NPC to fix some of the jacked up faces, was pretty proud of my work too!
I lost all of the head meshes when my cats broke my external hard drive ;_;

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first game I remember using mods for was World of Warcraft because that base UI is no freaking joke, it's hideous. The first game I made mods for was a lot of stage mods for Street Fighter V. Sunny Days, After Hours, Fewer Gimmicks, whole bunch of stuff. I need to get back into that stuff one of these days.