• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
SIE has been on a roll for a minute now. I enjoy most of their games, but some don't always land. The Horizon games and the new God of War just didn't appeal to me after playing them. No knocking them. A lot of love and care went into those games. I may go back to GoW in time, but just better games in my queue right now.

Of this generation I really enjoyed Ratchet PS5 and Astrobot. Very good games, but in terms of total engrossment and engagement, it has to be TLOU2. That game just made me think, plus the actual gameplay was also very fun. I do want to replay it, but I'm waiting for the eventual remaster (you know it's coming).

I remember beating it and just thinking about the characters, world, the setpieces. the sniper chase was too damn good.

I'm excited to revisit that world via the TLOU1 remake.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls at PS5 launch. Struggled to play anything else!

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Ratchet, it, just like Astro made me feel like a kid once again, pure joy

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I don't really play too many AAA games these days but I was very pleasantly surprised by Horizon: Zero Dawn. It seemed to take away a lot of the annoyances I usually have with open world games and wrapped it all up in a super intriguing sci-fi plot. I have yet to play the sequel but it was definitely one of the biggest surprises for me last gen as I have a history of not really enjoying these types of massive open world games.

EDIT: Actually looking it up there, and looks like Astro Bot was more recent, so I change my answer to that. Just a brilliant use of new hardware!

Phoenix7

Alt Account
Banned
May 24, 2022
You doing a poll? For me it's probably TLOU2. One of the best games ever made.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You doing a poll? For me it's probably TLOU2. One of the best games ever made.
Too many games for that!

Last two years, for example:

from wiki.

2020[edit]

2021[edit]

2022[edit]

Announced for 2022[edit]

PlayStation 5[edit]

2020[edit]

2021[edit]

2022[edit]

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
TLOU2. Complete immersion, played it continuously until the end.
Other SIE games tend to drag and end up on my rotation but never dominate my playtime like TLOU2 did.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ummm... Astro's Playroom I suppose. Absolutely fab start to finish, with a lot of stupid grinning on my part.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I would've picked Returnal if I didn't finish TLOU2 two weeks ago. What a magnificent game!

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
Returnal for me. Couldn't stop playing it even after I got the "real" ending.
Horizon is fantastic too, but probably couldn't grab me the same way because it was more of a known entity after the first game for, still loved it but Returnal blew me away.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
returnal was really good
Wish the experience at launch was good, probably the most disastrous game I've played on launch day :(
Constant crashes, bugs, save corruptions(lost my complete saves 3 times and was only saved by the cloud saves of days prior). Probably the worst platinum I've gotten, it's a great game that didn't deserve those problems at launch because I feel like if I had played it today I would have it as one of my GOATs

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The ones that had me hooked were the last of us 2, God of war 2018, and Ghost of Tsushima.
I was also hooked on Horizon zero dawn, but Forbidden west didn't grab me as much.

Last edited:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I guess God of War (2018)

I never really cared for the God of War series. Even as a needlessly angsty and insufferable teen, I found them to be needlessly angsty.

Seeing a matured Kratos in this darker world was great and felt much more suited to the character as he was now. The combat struck a nice balance as a result it felt simple but really punchy. The story was great, characters were interesting and some of the boss fights were incredible. There was too much repetition and I fell off after the main story was done (no time for challenge bullshit) but it was still a delight for the less angsty, but still insufferable, adult I am now.

If it was Sony Published then it would have to be Until Dawn. Just pure 90's early 00's horror cheese. Genuinely incredible. Might be my favourite Sony exclusive.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
The latest one has to be Horizon Forbidden West, but I think I had a better experience with Ghost of Tsushima.

I had a bug during my HFW playthrough where dramatic music played constantly, even during missions (but except for times when different music was cued to be played depending on the scene)

That one track playing over and over really hampered my fun with the game because sometimes out in the open world, I just wanted quiet. Dramatic music playing while I was picking berries got old really fast. By the time it got patched, I had already finished the game and moved on so...

Ghost of Tsushima.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think SIE games are getting further and further from the types of PlayStation games I used to enjoy. So....it's been a while

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Having never played them before... Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Horizon was great and beautiful but I wouldn't say it totally engrossed me.

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
Horizon Forbidden West with Returnal and Ratchet before that. I generally like most of their games I have played and their output is why I prefer PS5 as my console of choice.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Wish the experience at launch was good, probably the most disastrous game I've played on launch day :(
Constant crashes, bugs, save corruptions(lost my complete saves 3 times and was only saved by the cloud saves of days prior). Probably the worst platinum I've gotten, it's a great game that didn't deserve those problems at launch because I feel like if I had played it today I would have it as one of my GOATs
Also played at launch but luckily avoided all issues except that one sound spike glitch.

The platinum was pretty annoying, not because of bugs but the launch period RNG for getting one of the collectables to spawn was insanely low. I beat the game on my 3rd run, got the true ending under 10 hours....then spent the next 20-25 hours trying to get the last glyph to spawn :(

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Also played at launch but luckily avoided all issues except that one sound spike glitch.

The platinum was pretty annoying, not because of bugs but the launch period RNG for getting one of the collectables to spawn was insanely low. I beat the game on my 3rd run, got the true ending under 10 hours....then spent the next 20-25 hours trying to get the last glyph to spawn :(
The last glyph was "funny", took me like 15h, finally got it...Platinum didn't pop. Realize I have to restore my cloud save from hours prior...GOT IT ON MY FIRST RUN AFTER hahhahaha, probably the best RNG I ever got, the game must have had pity of me

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
I loved Astrobot Rescue Mission and TLOU2 on PS4 but they've released nothing so far this gen that makes me want to buy a PS5. Too many sequels to games I'm not interested in. Would be happy to try Returnal on PC though, seems like the most interesting of their recent releases.

Oct 25, 2017
Like fully fully omfg I can't put this down engrossed? It's been ages. Generations even. But I didn't enjoy horizon zero dawn quite a bit. Even though on paper it sounded like everything I hate in a game

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Returnal aka the best controlling tps. I was really impressed how Housemarque kept the arcade style of their older works and created great tps/roguelite with art direction inspired by H.R. Giger works.
Housemarque are currently most interesting PlayStation studio imo.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone near release. The Last of Us II got close, but having to pick up junk everywhere, because of the crafting system necessitating it took me out of it and ruined the pacing.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Returnal and Ratchet for me.
Edit: I should probably elaborate somewhat.
Both were games I picked up with my PS5 and while Returnal was just awesome and something completely new Ratchet was equally as funny and showcased just how beautiful games could be on the system.

Last edited:

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Horizon: FW! While it did drag out a bit at the end for me (about 95 hours) the first 50 hours or so was immensely engrossing. The world, the combat, the visuals, the machines and the sense of discovery is top notch.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that published stuff counts and not just from the developers they own, Until Dawn (since its more recent than Bloodborne by about three months).

Just perfect for the style of game that it is in pretty much every aspect - except for those motion controls. Tried a fair amount since but they all kinda land around fine to good.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it depends on how I'm defining complete immersion, but I'd say Returnal. The combination of the controller haptics, the addicting gameplay, the loop of the narrative/combat, and the 3D audio made that a special one.