• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
My speculation is that the final number for PS2 HW may have fallen short of 160 million units in sales.

Why I think that is that there could have been a milestone PR announcement had the PS2 crossed 160 million units.

Their 150 million units milestone announcement was for sales upto January 31, 2011. It could have had another 10 million sales in exactly two years when it got discontinued to make the PR announcement. That would have been something to do a PR announcement for.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'd be more impressed if anyone could find out PS3s LTD sales. That's the biggest mystery

At an absolute minimum we know it was over 84m as of March 2015. (probably closer to 86m at that point tbh).

It's impossible to say how much more it sold after that point as Sony stopped reporting numbers for PS3 from April 2015.

My 'guess' is it got close to 90m but it didn't go over.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I think PS4 will top 120 million handily. It should hit 100m by mid next year, so it just needs to shift 20 million in the time before PS5 launches and in the "budget for console option" transition period Sony consoles typically experience. I think they'll do it, and reasonably exceed it if PS5 has BC and they can get the PS4 price low enough.

Not sure about that. I remember last gen it looked like the Wii was going to smash the PS2 sales, it didn't. It looked like the 360 and PS3 will both reach 100 million, it did not happen either.

When there is a new gen there is excitement that impacts current gen consoles sales. PS4 might just sell 10 million units a year next fiscal year and 8 million the year after. So 120 million is not a done deal yet. However, I think it will reach it by end of 2021. But the PS2 and DS are completely untouchable.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about that. I remember last gen it looked like the Wii was going to smash the PS2 sales, it didn't. It looked like the 360 and PS3 will both reach 100 million, it did not happen either.

When there is a new gen there is excitement that impacts current gen consoles sales. PS4 might just sell 10 million units a year next fiscal year and 8 million the year after. So 120 million is not a done deal yet. However, I think it will reach it by end of 2021. But the PS2 and DS are completely untouchable.
The Wii and even the 360/PS3 are awful comparisons though. The Wii had horrible software support in its last few years, since what third party support it had previously received had moved on and Nintendo itself was shifting resources to the 3DS and Wii U. And the casual crowd had moved onto smart phones. While the 360 and PS3 honestly just felt archaic by 2013. Not to mention the PS3 was held back by its price.

People have been predicting PS4 sales would drop off for years, even Sony have underestimated how well they'd do a couple times, but it's still selling incredibly well and I can't see any reason why that would dramatically change. Sure, it's hit its peak and will continue dropping from here but only 10m next year? That's an enormous drop, I think the only thing that'll hit sales that badly will be the PS5's launch and I don't think that's coming till 2020.

Anyway, thanks for the estimations and updating the title, Zhuge. This has been a really interesting thread. I wish Sony would just be more open with the hardware sales of their previous systems, like they used to be in the early 2000's. I can understand why they'd want to obfuscate the Vita's sales but now that it's basically been put to pasture, I don't really think they have anything to hide any more.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I've been informed that the numbers used in Wikipedia for that last row of numbers actually came from VGChartz and there was no citation mentioning vgchartz.

Screenshot_20181028-2347132.png

Screenshot_20181027-1656572.png

Quote from OP:

Wow. Aren't unreliable sources supposed to be banned on Wikipedia?

It never looked like that. And sure PS4 at 120 million isn't a lock yet but it's actually looking likely.