• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pick just one, then right now it would be Hereditary. I was expecting to hate that film, but it left a lasting impression on me. But I still have to see Spidey next week and then Aquaman a few days later.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
8e386015880b5e6a09b746dde4831351.gif

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Still need to catch up (and wait for) a bunch of movies, but I really enjoyed my time with Mission Impossible: Fallout.

Excited about Aquaman next week!

Oct 26, 2017
1). Hereditary
2). The House That Jack Built
3). Sorry To Bother You
4). Mandy
5). Phantom Thread
6). First Man
7). Aisle Of Dogs
8). First Reformed
9). The Favourite
10). You Were Never Really Here
11). Upgrade
12). Halloween
13). BlacKKKlansman
14). Leave No Trace
15). Black Panther

Still need to see Buster Scruggs, Vice, Spider-Verse, The Death Of Stalin, Roma, Shoplifters, and The Night Comes For Us.

Will say Infinity War was overrated as all shit. Annihilation had a weak first half (mostly due to the fact that I didn't "believe" any of the supporting cast) followed by one of the strongest climaxes to a movie this year.

JW: Fallen Kingdom, Searching, and Bohemian Rhapsody made me seethe with anger. I hated them so much.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Qualifier: I did not see many new films this year. I still haven't even seen Phantom Thread, Creed 2. First Man, and many others with buzz.

That said, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Entertaining for every second. An absolute treat for longtime fans of the character(s).

less

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse tops the list for me. I've enjoyed parts of other movies more but as a whole Spider-Verse delivers the most solid package for my enjoyment.

Of course the year isn't over yet and there are possible contenders out there such as Shoplifters that I still need to watch.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impossible for me not to put Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse at #1 when I consider how it advances the medium.

This is legit the first "superhero" movie i've ever seriously considered truly worth of Best Picture and Animation deserves to be respected as a legitimate artistic medium, not because it's capable of telling stories like traditional film does but because it can tell stories that traditional film can't.

Spider-Verse makes use of the allowances of animation in a way I've rarely seen in a big mainstream production and it uses them to tell an ultimately simple and well-trodden tale that is smart, funny and soulful - and best of all surprising.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They Shall Not Grow Old was AMAZING. Last night. Documentary of the forever.

That and Mandy were my biggest surprise movies and Thanos was the most surprising character.

I keep comparing him to XMEN Apocalypse guy. Deathface or whoever.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of great films this year such as Black Panther and Infinity War and Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

It was Shoplifters tho.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Don't usually catch up on the year's films until just before Oscar season but currently Liz and the Blue Bird.

Other potential contenders I need to see: If Beale Street Could Talk, Shoplifters, Searching
Other stuff I'm less hesitant to call instant homerun but the buzz will probably get me to see them: Isle of Dogs, Spiderverse, Black Panther

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Infinity War. To see the culmination of so many films I have loved was pretty amazing.

Runner up: Annihilation.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
1. Mission Impossible Fallout
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Black Panther
4. Bumblebee
5. A Quiet Place
6. Incredibles 2

I haven't seen Spider-Verse yet, but I have high hopes for it.

*Edited to add Bumblebee*

Last edited:

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Roma

But there's still a bunch of movies that came out in limited release or that I missed.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I really enjoyed Bad times at the El Royale. Totally wasn't what I was expecting and kept me entertained throughout.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Spiderman the underwater guy from Conan? Or is That the Namor guy from Game of Thrones?

Not fake edit: I forgot about Annihilation. Underrated Sci fi masterpiece. On the same tier as ex machina.

Still need to see Black Kkklansman and Bad Times at the El Royale.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Nothing else came close.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Annihilation left the biggest impression so I'll go with that.

The lighthouse will never leave my head.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Honestly? MI: Fallout.

TBF, I haven't seen the big awards contenders yet (normally watch them on BR) but Fallout in real IMAX was the best experience I've ever had watching a movie in a theater. Ton of great setpieces and I was introduced to the absolutely fantastic Vanessa Kirby (never watched The Crown).

I hope they leave the franchise alone after this. McQuarrie delivered an action masterpiece.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
Masterpiece

Awesome

Excellent
Eighth Grade
Black Panther

Great
Deadpool 2
Incredibles 2

Good
Ready Player One
Annihilation
Game Night
Pacific Rim 2
Antman 2
Overlord

Decent
Solo
Searching
A Quiet Place
Jumanji 2
The Post

Meh
MI: 6
Bad Times at the El Royale
The Predator

Eh
Jurassic World 2
The Meg

Ugh
Game Over Man (N)
A Wrinkle in Time
Cloverfield Paradox (N)

Oof

Terrible

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mission impossible fallout.

2nd would be Avengers 3

Will see into the spiderverse this weekend

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
First Reformed
Eighth Grade
BlacKkKlansman
Roma
Hereditary
Deadpool 2
American Animals
You Were Never Really Here
Searching
Hold The Dark

First Reformed was my favorite watch so far, but there are a lot of movies on my watchlist that I didn't get to watch yet so we'll see: Burning, Shoplifters, Wildlife, The Favourite, Green Book, The House That Jack Built, Mid90s, The Night Comes For Us, Spiderverse

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Into the Spider Verse
A Quiet Place
MI Fallout
Blakkklansman
Searching

In that order.

Also enjoyed a few more but didn't make my top 5.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Annihilation for me.

I'm seeing Spider-verse tonight though!

edit: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's Spider-verse

Last edited:

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Infinity War.

The ending fight in Wakanda was pretty shit but besides that it was great. Finally seeing everything come together was something very special.

Shout out to Into the Spider-Verse though. What a great film, I would say it's consistently better than Infinity War throughout too.