• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mandy
Game Night
Crazy Rich Asians
Halloween
A Quiet Place
A Star is Born

Widows was pretty damn great until we had to leave the theater halfway through the movie because our boy got sick puking with the babysitter at home. We had to tend to him. Rarely do we ever leave the theater, but it really sucked that time cause the movie was so good up to that point.

I have so many movies I need to see. My list is so thin and cobbled together from what we managed to see.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War
Fallout
Spiderman:into the spider verse.

Didn't really watch movies this year aside from big super hero movies.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's Roma for now. Though I still have to see Shoplifters, The Favourite, Spider-Verse, Cold War and Widows.

I don't count stuff like Phantom Thread and Lady Bird since while they were released where I'm at this year, in my head they are 2017 movies.

Paddington 2 was this year? Then that's your best film. Until Beale Street comes out.
Depends on where you're at. In most of Europe it was released December 2017.

Though if it was a 2018 movie here, it would definitely be top of my list as well.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't count stuff like Phantom Thread and Lady Bird since while they were released where I'm at this year, in my head they are 2017 movies.
Phantom Thread has been a 2017 release for me all year long too, until I was caught off guard by it having a US wide release in January 2018, and not December 2017. So now I moved it to my 2018 list since I personally rank after US wide releases. =/ How do you rank your list? After first release? Just curious. =)

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Phantom Thread has been a 2017 release for me all year long too, until I was caught off guard by it having a US wide release in January 2018, and not December 2017. So now I moved it to my 2018 list since I personally rank after US wide releases. =/ How do you rank your list? After first release? Just curious. =)
I'd put it near the top, maybe even at the top above Roma. I rewatched it last week on Blu-Ray and it's so good.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War
Sorry to Bother You
Three Identical Strangers
Paddington 2

Haven't seen Spider-Verse yet though.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Blindspotting
Eighth Grade
Sorry to bother you
Thoroughbreds

Its between those so far. Still yet to watch Mandy and Bad times at El Royale.

RigVertigo

Oct 31, 2017
10. Us And Them
9. Upgrade
8. Hereditary
7. A Star Is Born
6. American Animals
5. Wont You Be My Neighbor
4. Suspiria
3. Avengers: Infinity War
2. Annihilation
1. Isle Of Dogs

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Born

Technically, it's from 2016, but I don't think it had been shown outside of film festivals until this year, so I'm counting it.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Not judging anyone or anything, but I like how this thread completely separates ERA into the Infinity War camp vs the everyone else camp

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Roma. I've seen nothing else this year that even comes close. Cuaron is God.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
So far, it's honestly Creed 2, but I haven't seen a lot of the like more Oscar-tier stuff.

I was really surprised by how good Creed 2 is though. It's very successful at being both a continuation and an extension of the narrative of the first film, and a movie that follows up the legacy of the Rocky franchise (in this case, the goofy ass Rocky IV). Rocky IV and Creed are both very tonally dissimilar movies but the way in which Creed 2 is a sequel to both of them is surprisingly successful. The movie also takes Adonis and Bianca and develops their characters and relationships in interesting and new directions that feels nuanced and human. The boxing scenes are not plentiful but when they do happen they pack a goddamn punch. This movie is missing Coogler's unique directing stylizations but I prefer basically everything else about it to the first. There was very little wrong I could find with it.

For posterity, here's my ranking of 2018 films I've seen thus far:

1. Creed 2
2. Three Identical Strangers
3. Deadpool 2
4. Won't You Be My Neighbor
5. A Simple Favor
6. Ocean's 8
7. Annihilation
8. BlacKKKlansman
9. Black Panther
10. First Man
11. Avengers: Infinity War
12. Mission Impossible: Fallout
13. Ant Man and the Wasp
14. Crazy Rich Asians
15. A Quiet Place
16. Love, Simon
17. Mary Poppins Returns
18. The Spy Who Dumped Me
19. Hereditary
20. Solo: A Star Wars Story
21. Venom
22. The Meg
23. Robin Hood
24. Uncle Drew
25. Skyscrapper
26. Life of the Party
27. Fantastic Beasts 2
28. The House With a Clock in its Walls
29. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
30. Winchester
31. The Nun

A lot of what I saw this year felt pretty meh. 1-5 were pretty damn good, 6-12 were enjoyable romps, 13-18 were decent, 19-25 were mediocre, and 26-31 were all pretty bad. Not a 2018 movie but I also saw Perfect Blue in theaters this year which was easily better than everything else.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
1. Spider-Verse
2. Infinity War
3. Black Panther
4. Ant-Man and the Wasp
5. Deadpool 2
6. Venom

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Leave No Trace, Sorry to Bother You, and most of Roma (had to stop and go somewhere). LNT and Roma are definitely in my top. The first 2/3 or StBY would have been, but it got too weird for its own good.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
First Man
Sorry to Bother You
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Somewhere in that order for my top 3. I was also really impressed with the big blockbuster hits this year of Spider-Verse, Infinity War, and MI Fallout. Good flicks this year.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly haven't seen enough movies this year to make proper list, but:

Infinity War
Mandy
Halloween
Annihilation
A Quiet Place
Black Panther
Herditary

I just don't watch as many movies as I used to, and digital rentals are stupid expensive.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Weak year for movies for me (so far). The best new movie I saw this year is A Taxi Driver but I guess that officially came out in 2017, also The Front Line comes to mind but that's from 2011. Top 3 besides those would be Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, First Man and Isle of Dogs. Roma was good but I will likely never want to see it again.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Mission Impossible Fallout, and I didn't even expect to love it so much but it blew me away. Tom Cruise is one of those I actors I enjoy so much to see onscreen.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's between annihilation and sicario 2 for me

haven't watched mandy and upgrade yet though

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
In order

Into the spider-verse
Mission impossible Fallout
Blackkklansman
Upgrade
Solo
Black Panther
Oceans 8
Widows
Creed II
Bad times at the El Royale
Ready player one
Halloween
Infinity War

Still need to see a ton, like First Man, Game Night, Mandy and Bumblebee

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Probably A Quiet Place. Also loved Roma. Enjoyed Black Panther, Avengers, Venom and Halloween. Bird box was fun. Edit forgot Deadpool 2

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Black Panther, Won't you be my Neighbour, Spider verse, Blindspotting, Roma or Eighth Grade, I guess? Though there was legit a lot of great competition. But those stuck with me the most.

Other movies I loved
BlacKkKlansman
The Hate U Give
Sorry to Bother you
Star is Born
Upgrade
Isle of Dogs
Mission Impossible
Three Identical Strangers
Widows
First Man

I definitely need to see Beale Street very soon.

People picking Infinity War as their MOTY, it was decent but y'all need to see more movies lol.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Probably Infinity War. I don't think this was a particularly strong year for films to be honest. There wasn't a whole lot that stuck with me outside of IW.

2017 was way too good, couldn't decide Coco, IT, Okja, or Logan.
2016 was The Wailing or La La Land.
2015 was The Reverent
2014 was Gone Girl

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I only saw it a few days ago but right now I think Into The Spider-Verse is my favorite movie of the year. Beautiful & innovative animation, great characters with stellar voice acting, intense action scenes, awesome score and soundtrack, and so much more. Just such a joy to watch and easily my favorite Spider-Man movie ever made.

After that, my other favorites in no particular order were: A Quiet Place, Mission Impossible Fallout, Black Panther, Annihilation.

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is easily my favorite movie of the year.
tumblr_p0pkt5RNWE1r7jvayo5_540.gif

- Best comic book movie of the year
- Best Animated movie of the year
- Best soundtrack of the year
- Has the best villain theme music ever
- Arguably the best Spider-Man movie ever competing with Raimi's Spider-Man 2

This movie has so much damn swagger and the music is just too damn good.

Also, what's shocking is that this came from Sony Pictures of all studios.