• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
There were definitely some hype and unexpected moments that were memorable, but Reggie recognizing the importance of indie gaming and illustrating how Iwata and Miyamoto were both "indies" was the most important moment. Much of the TGA -- though certainly not all of it -- was laced with AAA marketing filler and hollow advertisements that at times made the show feel more like a cash-grab (and maybe it is one) than a celebration of accomplishments in the industry. That kind of promotion of commerce over art is probably necessary in one sense, since a show like this probably isn't cheap to make. But in another sense, it detracts from what could be a warm, genuine love and appreciation for what makes gaming special.

Hearing Reggie emphasize that all developers start off as "indies" mattered a lot in that moment, and it was so good to hear him hold himself out as an "ambassador" for fun and innovation.

(Oh, and the NMH3 trailer was dope.)

Jan 11, 2018
NMH 3 easily. I definitely suspected what it was right away. Wish we could have seen some more gameplay, but it's understandable as it hasn't even been in development for a year. They even say "Good luck" when saying it's coming out in 2020, which to me means even they doubt it will make it haha. I'm happy to wait till 2021 though. I'm just thrilled it exists.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Death Stranding:
Steam gave out some prizes to people watching the Game Awards on Steam.
I was one of the 92 people who randomly received a copy of Death Stranding.
You can view the prize list and how many people got each prize here:

Disco Elysium:
Twitter giveaway.

Disco Elysium isn't available anymore, but some of the other games might be.

Neither is available anymore, if that's what you were hoping for, sorry.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The part where I got free copies of Death Stranding and Disco Elysium.

Other than that, probably the No More Heroes III trailer.
Wait. You won TWICE in the steam draw? DAMN, rpm.
Disco Elysium:
Twitter giveaway.

Disco Elysium isn't available anymore, but some of the other games might be.

Neither is available anymore, if that's what you were hoping for, sorry.

Aaah, okay. Gotcha.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Bravely Default 2 was the only thing that made me go "oh shit!", but NMH3 was cool too. Ghost of Tsushima also looks fun.

And yeah, the Muppet part was great. It just makes me happy to see that Muppets are still funny after all these years.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
The NMH3 trailer was hiliarious, even though I'm not really interested in the game. I only saw about half of the show though.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Wait. You won TWICE in the steam draw? DAMN, rpm.
Disco Elysium was from the Twitter giveaway.

I was pretty lucky to see the Twitter giveaway fairly early since the Disco Elysium codes went fast (probably the most popular game out of the 5, which were Disco, Outer Wilds, My Friend Pedro, Slay the Spire, and GRIS), but no, I'm not lucky enough to win two games directly from Steam. Lucky, but not THAT lucky.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Three of Japan's great gaming directors in Miyazaki, Kojima and Itsuno all going on stage to accept an award for their game and say a few words.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima, Itsuno and Miyazaki winning. Love seeing Japanese devs recognized. And Lindsay looked so happy for Kojima.

Reggie speech

Grimes performance

Hellblade/Xbox

Ghost of Tsushima

NMH3

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hellblade 2 and the new Xbox easily but I loved Reggie's speech and Ghost of Tsushima. Its also awesome that From and Miyazaki finally got their very deserved Goty.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As always, it's funny to see people getting hyped up by rumours that don't pan out. It shows all that effort and emotional investment was for nought.

Along with Hellblade 2, Weird West, and Control Expeditions.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
Probably Xbox Series X.

surprised they revealed it here. And showing the first glimpse of a new console is always huge.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The No More Heroes III and Bravely Default II trailers were great.

But the best moments of the show were Reggie's speech and the Muppet Goose.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My favourite part was Disco Elysium picking up lots of awards :) Shame about it not being in the GOTY category but still a nice haul for ZA/UM. Really happy for them. The game is a masterpiece.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The Muppets sketch. And although I did greatly enjoy it, it was my favorite mostly because of a lack of good moments elsewhere.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
c15be2bc11dd2134e9ad10060968a66f5940142d.gifv

Mads winning performance, first time a lead character did not win in the category.
Muppet goose
Any time an award winner actually got to speak on stage
Hellblade
Muting Stadia ads

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox and Hellblade 2. Didn't care for anything else aside from TWAU2 which already leaked.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
There were some cool ones like the Xbox reveal, Ori and GoT trailers, DMC5 winning best action game, DS/Kojima winning game direction and ofc Sekiro/Miyazaki receiving the GOTY award.

But I have to say Reggie speech was pretty damn good, so probably that.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Fast & The Furious reveal
Nobody expected the night to end on an Xbox 360 game. Very bold and downright shocking

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hellblade 2 trailer
reggie's speech
the muppets and goose bit

worse part was the fast and furious reveal, and those fucking stadia ads. what the hell where those?