• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
My first ever shiny Pokémon has to be a gold poocheyna I found in Pokémon Ruby. Funny enough I was only 7 at the time so I had no idea what to do or what it meant. Trained it up for the entire journey and was gonna trade it over to Platinum but my save file was corrupted. What was your first shiny Pokémon experience.

In before Red Gyrados :P

Oct 25, 2017
Played Pokemon Gen2 very much back in the day, but I've never encountered a Shiny :(

Last edited:

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
White 2 during the Castelia sewer section with the rival. We run into a shiny Ratata and he proceeds to kill it.
Real answer is the red Gyarados

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Shiny Spinda. I've never been so disappointed in my life

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My first ever was a Shiny doduo in Pokémon crystal, but, after that...

After two full generations actively looking for one, i got a goddamn Uknow first step i took inside Alph ruins in SoulSilver

I've never been so salty.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A probably hacked Porygon I got off wonder trade. I also hatched a shiny Dratini with poor IVs.

Oct 27, 2017
Shiny marrill(green) in Pokémon ruby. Pretty sure that's the only time I've ever seen a shiny and that was 10 + years ago

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I got a shiny Gyrados in the first ever pack of cards I bought way back when.

In the games though? Not a clue.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It was a shiny Geodude in Emerald. I had no way to trade so it just stayed a Graveler.

Second and last one I found was a shiny Kecleon in Omega Ruby. I've been playing the franchise since the beginning and have only encountered two shinies...

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Pokemon for nearly 15 years and I still haven't even encountered a shiny, let alone caught one.

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
Shiny Gurdurr. I didn't know until after I caught it and I said to my friend that I think that may have been a shiny. This was on Pokémon Black 2 as well so the chances were 1/8k I believe. Its a shame I no longer play the series.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A shiny magnemite outside of ecruteak in gold

It barely looked any different and if it werent for the sparkles i wouldnt have noticed.

Took ages for my next one tho, a Gloom in friend safari in X

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played Pokémon since gen 1 but I've never encountered a shiny outside of the event Pokémons :(

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Red Gyarados in Silver. My first random encounter shiny though was a Goldeen in Ruby which I didn't even realise was shiny until I noticed the star mark when it was in the box.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Besides you know what, my first was a shiny Rattata, which sounds awful but I actually love Raticate so I was totally cool hyper fanging fools with him.

Oct 30, 2017
Not counting the Red Gyarados, it was a pink Nidorina, I can't remember if it was Gold or Silver (I had them both) but it was during the post game Kanto run. Such good memories.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Red Gyarados my first was a shiny Zigzagoon that I got from Wonder Trade. (Been playing since gen 1)

Vivian

Oct 26, 2017
England
Zigzagoon in Sapphire. I was jealous of my brother's shiny Forretress, but then his save file got corrupted and I felt bad :(

Anyway, my first shinies in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby were another Zigzagoon and a Linoone. Full team soon!

Maxiimos

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget running into my first shiny, a golden Poochyena in Emerald. That shiny will forever look so majestic to me, it looks like it went Super Saiyan

261.png

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
A Tentacruel in Pokémon Gold (or maybe Crystal?) near the whirl islands. I tried to catch it but didn't have enough Ultra Balls and ran out of them :/

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a shiny Pidgey while playing my sister's Crystal version. I was scared because I didn't know what it was and ran away lol.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have played Pokemon since the 90s and have never found a shiny besides the Red Gyarados.

:(

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the obvious red Gyarados in Gold I can't really remember anything for sure until I got a blue Psyduck in Pearl. I might have gotten another shiny in Gold, I have a very vague sense about it, but that was so long ago now that I can' say anything for sure.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Red Gyarados, obviously, but the first one I caught in the wild was a Sentret in Silver. Evolved into a purple Furret that I dutifully raised to Lv 100 and unfortunately lost to the ravages of the time when my cartridge battery died.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do the nickname effects for Pokemon Stadium count too? I guess not, but I loved my brown/yellowish Raichu and Sandslash.

Didn't get my first actual shiny wild encounter until Pokemon Diamond. Random cave Geodude made of gold. Named him Nugget. Immediately put it up for trade to get a Glameow, lol

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
A shiny oddish in Fire Red,,, before I knew what shiny pokemon were and just assumed the games colours screwed up, so I didn't catch it.

Next was a shiny Lotad in Saphire... at the start of the game when I had no Pokeballs...

Finally caught a Shiny Swellow in White 2

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't count Red Gyarados so it was a Shiny Female Eevee in Pokemon XY (been here since Gen 1 so it's been a long time coming)

Was just breeding some for competitive purposes (back when I was into that) and I remember seeing one that looked a little different from the others so I checked it out and OH MY GOD SHINY.

Spent a long time debating what I wanted to evolve it into but I settled with Umbreon

Spr_6x_197_s.png

I think I made the right choice : )

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
During my first playthrough of my first Pokémon game; a shiny Weedle in the Helix Forest long before I even saw Red Gyarados.
I was confused by the sparkle effects, I didn't know shinies existed but figured it must've been a special pokémon, so I caught it.
1mObzft.png

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
First Magikarp I hooked in Leaf Green was golden. That's when I learned shiny Pokemon were a thing.