• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
Well, not counting the ones you get by default (red gyrados, black haxorous), my first was feebas that I bred for. Notably, my daughter found a shiny luvdisc randomly, which then made the idea of getting a shiny real. So I started a long quest to breed/find multiple shinies. It is basically how I play pokemon now. One of my major issues with S&M was how it dropped two reliable ways of finding shinies (hordes/friend safari) for one more obnoxious one (call for help). Also, it was really obnoxious to reset for a shiny starter and basically all legends/UBs were shiny locked.

Of note, I have SR'd for a copy of every shiny legend you can on DS and 3DS. Groudon was my longest search, being nearly 8 months of constant resetting at night.

I also have never encountered a shiny when I was not hunting shinies explicitly. I've done it enough were I've had multiple shinies show up in hordes and had a shiny call for help with another shiny.

I might have a problem.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Shiny Magikarp in Platinum while hunting for Feebas. "Oh boy, I can't wait to evolve it and get a rare shiny Gyarados!" /s

Reverseringu

Oct 27, 2017
A Geodude in Omega Ruby. I ended up accidentally trading him over Wonder Trade and got a Zigzagoon in return.

gameburke

Oct 27, 2017
In White 2 I ran into my first random encounter shiny early in the game. Bleh, kind of a waste on a Patrat.
Spr_5b_504_s.png

But IV breeding I finally got a "better" shiny, but shininess doesn't change much on a Togepi.
Spr_6x_175_s.png

Last few years they've been handing out shiny event Pokemon like candy, so I've got a bunch through that now.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ekans. Pokemon Y. My first shiny in all of the Pokemon games.

Then I found out about the masuda method and shinies became trivial to me.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Shiny Ponyta. I completely freaked out and thought my game was glitched. Went to my brother and showed him the Ponyta and he too didn't know why it had that color. I then proceeded to kill it because I thought it would give me mad EXP.

Suicune

Oct 27, 2017
First caught, gold pidgey in pokemon gold, first actual, shiny geodude that selfdestructed after a failed catch.

Since then I've had the experience of being so excited when I encountered a shiny bagon on pokemon ruby I jerked up my gameboy advance sp so hard it hit me in the face dislodged the cartridge and crashed the game...

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first shiny (outside of Gyarados) was a Butterfree I got from headbutting a tree in Gold. Had no idea shinies were a thing outside Gyarados, had to do a double take when I saw that shiny animation. I couldn't capture it in the end though because my box was full at the time and in Gen 2 you couldn't catch anything unless there was space in the box you selected last. Urrrrgh that made me really sad for a while.
The first shiny I actually caught was a Geodude, again in Gold. I remember playing the game via Pokémon Stadium 2 when that happened. Couldn't contain my excitement. A few weeks after that I encountered another Shiny, an Ursaring on Mt. Silver. I wasn't as excited as I was with Geodude though because I absolutely don't care for Ursaring and I just wanted to train there, not catch stuff. Still caught it and cloned the fuck out of it and Golem to share with friends at the time.

Got a few more shinies in RSE and haven't encountered one ever since.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
My first shiny was a level 100 Vaporeon with Pokerus I got from Wonder Trade in Alpha Sapphire. It's clearly hacked, but a shiny's a shiny.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I got a shiny Ralts from Wonder Trade in X. I honestly think that's it outside of the Red Gyrados. So I still consider myself to have not caught a shiny Pokémon yet...

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
After Shiny Gyarados in Silver, a Shiny Pidgey in Crystal.

I didn't have any Pokeballs...

Years later in my Pearl I encountered a Shiny Dugtrio.

And got an accidental crit on it.

Moon is the first one I really had a lot of luck with. I hatched a Shiny Rockruff using the Masuda Method. 5 minutes later I accidently run into a Shiny Alolan Raticate because I wanted to shortcut to a Pokemon Center by cutting through the grass..

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
besides the red Gyrados, my first was a Lillipup in Sun

Spr_7s_506_s.png

doesn't look that much different but at least Stoutland looks different enough

Spr_7s_508_s.png

i like my green doggo

Shiny Roselia from Pokemon Gold

Spr_4p_315_m_s.png

Initially I didn't know what shinies were but I did notice the different coloring. I accidently fainted it though and spent hours trying to find another ugh.

Roselia is a gen 3 pokemon so unless you're taking about HeartGold you're mixing something up

Lord Beerus

Oct 27, 2017
It was a Drowzee in Gold. But my box was full. So the first I actually caught was Unown. Thank God you don't have to worry about changing the box from gen 3 and on.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Gyarados in Silver, for obvious reasons.

First one I encountered randomly? I dunno which came first, but I found shiny Rattata, Zigzagoon and Caterpie in Gen 3.

Shiny Snover in Pearl.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Spr_3r_379_s.png

Caught on my second Registeel attempt in the near-dark lighting on a trip to the store. When I got out and saw what I had caught in the streetlight I nearly had a panic attack because if I had known, I probably would have screwed it up.

There was a shiny Sneasel in Crystal but a friend caught that and gave it to me because I could store things in Stadium and they had siblings. I don't count it.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Shiny Lugia in Crystal. I believe that used all of my shiny luck for the rest of my life. I didn't even realize how rare it was at the time and erased the file to replay the game some time later.

My only other non-event or free shinies were Zigzagoon in Emerald and Mincinno in White.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
Shiny Graveller in Pearl. Didn't know about shinies at the time but I knew he was special due to the sparkle so I captured him.

The dude is a golem and is still part of my team.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
210px-James_Carnivine.png

That would be a Carnivine. You should have seen how excited I was. And then I looked at it's stats page. Stats are kinda ok, but then I notice something...

WHO GIVES A GRASS TYPE LEVITATE?

Ended up naming it "Shinyvine" and buried it in my PC box forever.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the Gyarados, I think it was an Amoongus in X, so like 14 years before I saw one (managed to get PKRS twice though, sigh). The first one I got from actively shiny hunting was a female Espurr from the friend safari in X.

Krugybb

Oct 30, 2017
When I was younger in my first play through of RS, the very first Ralts I saw and captured was shiny. I didn't even realize it. Stuck it in my PC, never compared it to Wally's. Years later I remembered it but I could never find it again on my cartridge. Bummer cause Ralts/Gardevoir is one of my favorite looking shinies.

HopedWall

Oct 28, 2017
Other than the Red Gyarados, a shiny Wurmple in Emerald in my first wild pokemon battle. IIRC you get pokeballs slightly later in the game so I didn't have any other choice but to kill it. Took me until Black 2 to ever find another one (a shiny Nosepass).

Oct 27, 2017
I remember catching a shiny Mareep in my first Pokemon play-through ever, which was Fire Red, in the safari zone after I defeated the elite four and got the national dex. It has since been one of my favorite electric type Pokemon.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I think my first outside of red gyrados was a shiny ponyta in Diamond

Had crummy stats, but that blue fire was pretty sick.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
I only remember seeing a shiny Spinda and shiny Skarmory in the Gen 3 games, but not catching them. I think I also saw a shiny Skarmory in Diamond. The first that I do remember catching was a shiny Pichu in Platinum (I used to shiny hunt with the poke-radar. Pichu was my first and only catch)
You know, excluding the red Gyarados.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the red Gyarados (which I'm not even entirely sure I'd seen yet), a "golden" Metapod in Pokémon Gold Version. I thought it was a glitch at first, but once I noticed the sparkles after catching it, I realized that this was just a special kind of Pokémon programmed into the game. It eventually evolved into a pink Butterfree with puke green eyes. A bit of a downgrade in my opinion.

My Gold cartridge has since ran out of battery, but the Butterfree, as well as the rest of my rare Pokémon and main team members from the game still live somewhere in Pokémon Stadium 2. I don't think I can access them without the GBC cart, though, so umm... It's more like a moral victory knowing that they have not been completely erased from existence.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Shiny Entei in Pokémon Fire Red, I remember being underwhelmed. After that came a bunch of shiny Ponyta's and crushed dreams.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Noctowl in Pokemon Silver. I didn't find out until years later what a shiny even was. I loved the shiny effect in Silver so I had Noctowl as part of my main team for the entire game.
Not counting Red Gyarados, it was a Hoothoot
I've always liked how shiny Noctowl looks. One of my favourite shinies. I've encountered a shiny Hoothoot normally in HG, but I ran out of balls, which sucked. A few years later I Poké Radar'd myself a shiny Noctowl in Platinum, and so far it's the only shiny I've gone out of my way to get. I think I also tried to find a Scyther at some point in order to get a shiny Scizor, but I ultimately didn't have the patience and/or luck for it.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
It was a shiny Rapidash at the bottom of Mt. Silver in Pokémon Gold. I killed it. Thought my eyes deceived me because I didn't know shinies were a thing back then and believed Gyarados to be an exception. Still regret it. My first shiny Pokémon that I caught, was a Klefki in Pokémon Y.

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
I have been playing pokemon since the red and blue days. With the introduction of shinies in the pokemon series, like others here, my first and only shiny in that generation was the Red Gyarados. Of course, in the x/y and sun/moon generations, I have been able to pump out more shinies due to all the extra help in these games, i.e. shiny charm, etc.

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rapidash in Platinum I think it was. I remember getting over excited and accidentally using surf on it.

Never been so gutted in my life.