• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
***This thread is posted on behalf of Puweyxil, via the Adopt-a-User Thread***

If you're a FPS fan you most likely remember the first one you played. What was it?! Feel free to share the name of that title as well as anything else about the experience. Did it give you motion sickness? Did it sell you on the genre or put you off of it? Did you need longer than usual to get used to the controls? Talk about your first FPS here!

Mine was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Prior to playing it I was well aware of the genre, but it was something that I'd only really ever seen on PCs. I actually wasn't even interested in the game when I first heard about it, but when it released the reviews were very positive all around so I decided to pick it up. Those controls and that perspective were foreign to me so it took several hours for me to really settle in. I was sold almost immediately though, and I've always felt the game was a great introduction to the genre. The game had a heavy atmosphere, and it was creepy at times. It also had that fantastic, translucent overlaid map that you could adjust the brightness of.

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D, 1992.

Who would have thought it would still be one of the best FPS series today.

Technically I played Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold around that same time, but Wolf is the one I remember first.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3

I remember being completely baffled by the control scheme and camera when visiting a friends house. Took months to get used to it.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Doom or Heretic

I forget which one I played first, but it was one of those two.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Quake 1 on PC.

I remember playing it on my first PC back in 1998/1999 - good times.

It was a demo though. Didnt get to play it fully until...well earlier this year :P.

Excluding that, I guess my first FPS would be Left 4 Dead 2 which I first got to experience back in 2011 when I started to get into PC gaming.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Definitely Doom. My mom went to community college when I was a kid and sometimes brought me and I vaguely remember one of the computer administrators or someone set the game up for me. I was always fascinated by the Doom guy's face in the HUD lol.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wolf3D, Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen. The good ol days.

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM.

I even had some level editing software that I messed around with back then. It was pretty fun. Just making a functional staircase was crazy because you had to draw like a dozen rooms that were of slightly varying height.

I'd say it sold me on the genre, haha. It's still one of the best games in the genre.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure it was Goldeneye at a friend's house when I was, like, 7. I was absolutely garbage at it

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

I probably played this game more than anything else in my entire life. What I would give for a remake.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Wolfenstein 3D or Blake Stone Aliens of Gold

It didn't become my favorite genre until Doom, then cemented with Quake

I had no internet growing up, so I remember I would use library and school computers to download shareware games, compress to a multi disk zip file across like 12-13 floppy disks and bring home

I also got these awesome quake 1 bots and used to download quake 1 maps to play them on, to this day I never experienced quake 1 online

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wolf 3D.
Think it came on a Shareware disk I bought at a convenience store. Remember most of the disk being absolute garbage. Wolf was great though, even though I did even play the full release until 10+ years later.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D, not quite at its release, but probably somewhere around 1994-1995. I played it at my cousin's house and I would use the space bar to shoot and he would use the arrow keys to navigate the levels.

It's that nostalgia that helped me appreciate Wolfenstein: The New Order as much as I did. It was fucking crazy to see a franchise come that far.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Park on SNES. The perspective switched to first person when you went into buildings, and when it first happened I literally had no idea what I was looking at. I had never heard of or imagined first person perspective in games, and I was baffled when I couldn't find my character on the screen. Then I pushed forward, saw the pixels shift and shake, and slowly realized what I was seeing. Then I saw a raptor in the distance and my mind was thoroughly blown.

The first full FPS game I played was Goldeneye. Then Perfect Dark, Medal of Honor, Halo, and many many more since.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye 007, such a wonderful game.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Descent. The controls were based on flight games so the Y-axis was inverted by default, which is likely why that's still my preference in FPS games today.