• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
3dmonstermaze.png

Oct 26, 2017
Timesplitters 2. I played JRPGs and platformers almost exclusively until I played TS2 on a demo disc from the Official Playstation Magazine. Now I almost exclusively play FPS. Part of me really wants to see a modern Timesplitters, but another part of me really doesn't trust anyone to do it justice. Especially since anything even remotely lewd is subject to conflation with sexism.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad was really into PC gaming back in the day so my first exposure to the FPS genre came by way of Hexen, Heretic and Doom

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Being somewhat broad with the concept so I can provide a silly answer:
Lego Island.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Doom.

I was probably too young to be playing it but I remember not really seeing it as a violent game. Nothing was detailed enough for me to be disturbed about it. Then the friends house we were at activated God mode and I was hooked.

Riot

Oct 27, 2017
My first console FPS was DOOM on the SNES (if I remember the shotgun acted as a sniper in that version) and on the PC it was Duke 3D atomic edition.

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
Wolf3D demo on my old Packard Bell

Did it give you motion sickness? Did it sell you on the genre or put you off of it? Did you need longer than usual to get used to the controls?

I didn't even understand what I was playing. I didn't know what a first person shooter was at the time.. I think I was in the 5th grade so 8-9?

It didn't sell me on the genre but it made me a PC gamer for life.

spelk

Oct 30, 2017
Does the original Battlezone count?

If not, then Wolfenstein 3d shareware demo on a floppy disk.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely sure of the exact one but it was one of the Delta Force games. All I remember is a underwater rifle and a OICW.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Wolfenstein 3D and then shortly there after Doom. Rise of the Triad after those. Had to play these games at night when my parents were sleeping. Good times.

RoslindaleOne

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 3d on a IBM at Radio Shack. My first time using an IBM computer as well since my school and friend had Apples.

Super Butoden

Oct 27, 2017
GoldenEye. Four of the first five I played were all-time greats. GoldenEye, Pokémon Snap, Perfect Dark, The World Is Not Enough, and Halo: Combat Evolved.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear it was Congo for PC, but I look it up and it looks way different than I remembered. I remember the graphics being much more Doom like.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye was the first FPS I can remember playing. Halo 1 was the first that I sunk a significant amount of time into.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Dark Forces. My parents were worried about violent video games like Mortal Kombat and Doom, so I stayed away from those for a while.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Doom. I think it was specifically the Windows part of Ultimate Doom....? My mom, apparently a fan of Doom, just happened to see Ultimate Doom at the grocery store or something (?).

Too long ago for me to remember the exact story, haha.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
SNES Doom. I was like "this is awesome", and one of my PC owning friends came over and was like "what the hell is this, it's running at like 4 FPS and you can't see anything". Got PC Doom a few months later and agreed with my friend, heh.