• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
No One Lives Forever was the first one I vividly remember and fell in love with.

Technically, though, I learned to explore FPS spaces in the game Descent. It was a great primer, because the 360 degrees of viewing freedom as well as the free-floating movement meant that you really had to have your head screwed on tight to remain spatially situated.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Battlezone3.png

Battlezone2.png

Battlezone1.jpg

Battlezone by Atari (Arcade). A gloriously immersive FPS using tank controls and twin-sticks during the early 80s... State-of-the-art wireframe 3D. I'm also enjoying its modern reincarnation in VR.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D. I carried that shit around with me everywhere on some repurposed AoL trial disks on the off-chance I was somewhere with a PC that could run it.

Then I did the same with Doom.

Imtehman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
first fps was in the nintendo 64 era... goldeneye/turok

my first online fps was tribes 1. One of the greatest fps ever made.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first Halo was the one I can remember playing.

There is video footage of my dad sitting me down and letting me have a go at Doom when I was 2, and that went pretty badly. I do not remember it at all.

belteshazzar

Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye. Got me hooked, I love FPS games ever since then. I wish there were more games like that one today, with objectives and additional cooler objectives as you pump up the difficulty. Wonder why no one does that anymore.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
My first FPS game was Call of Duty Modern Warfare. I had just got a 360 right after Halo 3 launched (didn't get it right away) and COD was about to drop so I jumped on the hype train. Glad I did too because that was what really got me into gaming.

I had always been into video games but not like I am now. Before 07 all I did was play sports games and GTA.

Mike.83

Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens, England
Doom.
We had Wolfenstein 3D too but I think I played Doom first.

I remember my Dad playing it but when he got stuck he'd shout me in to do it. I was way to young to be playing Doom really.

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
The first FPS I ever dabbled in was Wolfenstein 3D back in 1992. My friend came home a PC trade show with a stack of discs including The Secret of Monkey Island, Hugo's House of Horrors, and id's pioneering FPS. Pretty sure we were glued to his Tandy for months after that released, and the addiction overcame us all over again when we got our hands on Spear of Destiny.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
First FPS I ever played? Probably Doom. First one I got into? Half-Life.

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
Counter Strike, but with a weird caveat; Only with bots. In fact, I'm more sold on an FPS game that features a fully robust single-player mode that emulates or is pretty much the same as the multiplayer component.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
Wolfenstein 3D for me. Was a bit of a legend among my buddies when I completed it. Also had Doom II on the same machine but I didn't like how big the map seemed so never played that, really.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It is between Wolfenstein 3D and Doom I cannot remember which I played first though, but there wasn't much time between the two.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
It's tough to say, but it was probably Doom.
GoldenEye 64 was the most entertaining fps I played back in the 90's though.
Later Unreal Tournament came out and that was fun.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It was either Wolf3D or Spear of Destiny, I'm not really sure which one I've played first. Probably Wolf.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Used to play Quake on PC when I was young, but I just played it because I didn't know what else to do with my PC. I wasn't really into it, just wanted something to play and my cousin gave it to me.

I didn't really get into FPS until Killzone / Timesplitters on PS2.