• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
First time I pressed a bumper on a xbox one controller it pinched my finger skin when I let go. Then I was super underwhelmed by the rumble triggers I'd seen websites hyping up. I still really can't tell a difference even when in playing forza.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS3 for me. At launch I got Resistance and Genji. I played Genji first, since I beat the ps2 game about a month before the PSTriple came out. I was hype as hell to play the sequel. What I got was a marginally better looking game, with mechanics that were absent from the OG game. It looked decent, but nowhere near what I was expecting from my newly acquired $600 console.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Switch, absolutely hated the Joycons and didn't like BoTW which is why I bought it. It sat there for months before I touched it again. I now have a Pro controller thankfully, and hate when a game doesn't allow me to use it.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
N64, I really didn't like the controller and didn't like how Mario felt to control in 3D when compared to SMB3, which I felt was basically perfect.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U. The initial loading / update time and non inclusion of an ethernet port paired with the awful wifi connection even 2 feet away from my router just made it the worst initial impression I've had.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
When we unboxed the manager's Ouya at work to demo it for customers and after an hour of trying still couldn't get it to connect to Wifi.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I ended up enjoying my Wii U but I remember the first update for that thing on launch day was horrible. I understand stressed servers but the whole process seemed excessive.
In my case it was the reveal that was underwhelming. They shouldn't have chosen Wii Sports Club and New Super Mario Bros Mii to show it...

But once I had it it was great. I actually liked the switch less from a release standpoint since the controllers didn't seem as comfortable and the menus were so barren.

Thiking about it, though, they sold the WiiU as a way to play from the bathroom back on neogaf days and I soon discovered /remembered that people posting there might not have walls made out of bricks inside their houses.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
WiiU was pretty bad, the main UI design between the TV/Gamepad really annoyed me.

Wii also since mine died on me after a couple weeks, and with the way the account system worked back then it screwed me out of a number of virtual console purchases.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
PSP
That shit had to update everything before I could even do anything.
Was a day1 WiiU user, not even THAT update compares to the shitshow that was using the psp.
Having to wait more than 100 minutes before being able to use a handheld?
Load times everywhere to access everything.
That and the fact that Sony thought rewarding physical psp users with nothing meant I was never in the market for a vita.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The original Game Boy Advance not having a backlight, system was unplayable outside of perfect lighting.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Wii. Didn't work properly at all! Bought one on launch day and the pointer was super dodgy. After an hour I decided it must be faulty and call the store and got a replacement wiimote, then it was fine.

Worst *by design*? Phillips Cdi. Saw one in a store and tried a game I truly don't even recall, and that was all I needed to see.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PS3. Expensive, took forever to update and install, and the games looked worse than Xbox 360. No rumble in the controllers, while Sony was like:

tenor.gif

Vita also couldn't play what PSP could, you needed expensive memory cards, it couldn't play PS1 games. Sony killed it.

I'm not a fan of Playstation anymore.

DrCheese

Dec 14, 2017
My PS3 died day one during a firmware update (ughhhh) Called Sony who said repairs would be weeks, thankfully Amazon just sent me out a new one before I had to send the broken one back.

But tbh, the software was a heap of nothing for months after release so it was just a glorified Blu-Ray player for me for a long time.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps4. Had to send it in twice for repairs. Only system I ever owned that had mechanical problems so soon after buying one.

Best, Wii. Got me back into gaming after a long absense. First game Mario galaxy. Blew me AWAY!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
32X

We actually had a great time with Star Wars Arcade, but slowly coming to the realization that this game was really it and there were essentially no other games you wanted (I was 13) was a reeeeeeeal bad feeling. I'm still mystified as to how I talked myself into buying the fucking thing.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Virtual Boy was atrocious. First game system I just flat out said nope.

As a kid I even wanted N Gage, Jaguar, and 32X. But Virtual Boy? Absolutely not.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2014-2015

I was a console gamer when Xbox One and PS4 first came out

I was a PC gamer by mid 2015 because both consoles had such abysmal starts that consoles lost their shine for me

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Switch...
Joycons sucked and when i was in the BOTW plateau with the chugging framerate i felt buyers remorse. didn´t help that i find the game very boring.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
599 US Dollars

For one that I played though probably the Jaguar too. That thing was awful and to this day I have no idea what game it was.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
bringing home my gamecube from the midnight launch, i wasn't particularly blown away by rogue leader or luigi's mansion.
it took a little bit for me, before i started getting games for it i liked.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Got a WiiU for christmas one year. After waiting for the update of a lifetime to complete, I found that the eshop was down af. I couldn't redeem the free game that was supposed to come with the system. I had nothing. It was just a box for the first week and a half of owning the damn thing. I guess at least I could make miis.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Got a 360 and didn't realize I needed to buy a $100 WiFi dongle(I was young)
2. Got a switch then realized that Nintendo games are all full price and never on sale( I used to just play Pokémon, but I wanted to play diff stuff)

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Xbox 360, in a way. My first experience with it was when it had the blade menu, which was great. I ended up selling it and rebuying one a few years later and yikes. The menu change was horrible!

Also the Xbox One didn't have a great first impression...or last impression.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's gonna be really easy to tell the general age of most of the forum members by their answer.

For me it's gotta be the CDi, though if you want to go with traditional consoles, it's easily the Atari Jaguar. So much marketing and attempted manufactured hype ended up in such disappointment. Yikes.

Edit: I miss the days when department stores had practically ever currently available console set up and available for play. Really burst the bubble for me on so many products I likely would have bought otherwise.

Edit 2: I don't think I ever came across a 3DO in a store display, because as far as I can tell that likely would have taken the proverbial cake.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Sony PSP - I had a dead pixel and Sony's policy was that 2-4 or something like that was normal and not a defect. I couldn't help but see it all the time.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Can't choose between Nintendo's handhelds;
GBA ("I can't see anything, this needs light!")
Nintendo DS (Mario 64 DS looks AND controls a LOT worse than the original)
3DS (Is the resolution better than DS at all?)

Kind of funny that I've always had a better first impression of their TV consoles. Even Wii U was a blast thanks to its amazing multiplayer games.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
It turned out to be a great system but i purchased an Xbox 360(no wifi at the time, had to buy the $90(!) adapter) with an extra controller, and Chromehounds.

I fell asleep playing ChromeHounds.

Oct 27, 2017
I spent £425 on a launch PS3 and spent the first 6 months playing PS2 and PS1 games on it.

Funny how things work though. I'll be hype as fuck if I can do that on a PS5.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember people at the time saying that the Wii U wasn't that slow.. that was before the 'speed' update and the settings app still takes like over 10 seconds to load..

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was always very open-minded and totally into novelty. So I could walk in and see the Philips cd-i running chaos control, I know it probably wasn't the greatest game, but see potential in the system.

I can only remember two bad first impressions. One was the 3DO. I was like twelve. I had been reading egm. Trip Hawkins must have been pushing it up their butt because they talk this thing up like it was something else. it show a picture of real dudes on motorcycles out riding at night and say that was road rash on 3DO lol and I bought it hook line & sinker.

When I saw that ugly fat fucker running under glass on a non-playable kiosk, it had shockwave assault in it and I had a huge laugh. I knew it takes a game to run a system call us so I figured that this was just some of the toilet water that EA had been starting to crank out. Still not a great first impression but I didn't necessarily hold it against the system.

But then I walk 100 fuckin feet and lo, there's another one. But this one is running crash and burn.

Crash and burn was THE game I was counting on to prove the 3DO. You see, I had a lot of faith in the 3DO. I thought it was going to be worth every penny of the seven hundred bucks.

For minute, I was tremendously excited with my heart racing and I ran up to look at it. And for a minute I was really happy to see it. I descended across the teenager-little kid barrier and started exclaimihng to my dad why this was the game I've been talking about!

So then I'm standing over this game all excited, and over the course of 30 seconds my smile turns to a frown. This game looks like shit. It looks like shit, and it looks like it plays like shit. My expectations were said crashing back to the ground in a fireball.

they actually left a really big impression because I think I learned a lesson that day. anyhow, I was at the arcade for a few minutes and I didn't notice my dad had disappeared. I didn't worry about it I just kept playing whatever. He came back, and he presented me with a new copy of rock and roll racing. He said the clerk told him it was 10 times better than crash and burn. and that he felt bad that I was so disappointed. But he was really glad that I didn't want that $700 thing anymore.

The second bad impression I got was the Saturn. I first saw it running on a playable demo. Not a kiosk, just provided by the store. It was playing Virtua fighter one. And I realize two things right then. First, it dawned on me that vf-1 in the arcade was a really beautiful game now that I'm looking at this garbage. And two, Sega fucked up again. They're probably just a bunch of fuck ups. I bet they fuck up the next one, and the one after that. I was half right.

ResidentDuke

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Xbox one, all my gaming friends and I bought it on release day with COD Ghost and went home to do a small LAN party. Everything SUCKED ! The setup, the UI, the games... we were 5 or 6 thinking it was a downgrade from the 360... We did not play at all that day.. . Also the PS3 on launch day.... what a piece of shit console.... On the other hand, 360 and PS4 were pretty nice !

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Wii U. First Nintendo console I didn't get at launch. The OS was slow as hell and no launch game interested me. Ended up becoming my Super Mario Maker machine.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
PS3.

Hell, I didn't even really want the thing, but I was a bachelor that had money to burn and I wanted to play MSG4.

Instant regret; 1. I wasn't a huge fan of metal gear, 2. I hated the playstation controller, 3. I didn't like the UI.

Just a terrible decision from me lol.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox One was bad, but for me personally, it was my launch 360 red ringing after a couple weeks of use. I get that every piece of new hardware has some duds (although in the 360's case it was more than a few), but what made it especially aggravating was how people were fucking attacking me online when I brought it up, like I was lying or had some agenda to smear Microsoft. I'm still kind of pissed off about it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
PS4 on the day it launched. I had a lot of trouble getting it to boot up and play games, not that there was much worth playing anyway. Ended up having to get it replaced. Only time I've had to RMA a system.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right, the Wii u. At the time I had been not keeping up with anything and had stopped posting for several years, and my first impression of this thing was walking into a Target and seeing just a picture of it. Hilarious. Shaking my head.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 launch. It cost way more than I expected once I'd grabbed an extra joypad and a few games, and none of the launch games left a good impression. I remember sticking Resistance on and being disappointingly underwhelmed by the graphics and the way it played. I was left feeling pretty intense buyers remorse, more so than with any other console I'd bought at launch.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Boy. I knew it was gonna be all black and red but was not expecting the headache when I tried it out at a Blockbuster.

Easy answer: the Virtual Boy. I first tried it at a Blockbuster, and even though I had known for months that it only displayed red graphics, I still could hardly believe that Nintendo had actually put the thing on the market that way. Sticking your face into it is stupid, the graphics look like normal game graphics with some sort of red filter problem, the 3D is just a gimmick (it would definitely work better if everything weren't red), and not being able to see the weird-ass controller while playing can be problematic.

I had the same experience when I tried out the Virtual Boy at a demo kiosk at my local Caldor. Nintendo's strategy of promoting the VB through Blockbuster demo kits and kiosks backfired so spectacularly, I honestly think Nintendo might've sold more units had they let consumers buy the VB unaware of how terrible the 3D was implemented.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo DS for me. I was in high school and it was the 2nd console I bought with my own money. I got it with Super Mario 64, and Yoshi Touch and Go.

Immediately I realized the DS can't do 3d games well due to using only a dpad. Also the console was frontlit which was insane in 2005. Yoshi was fun but really more of an arcade game than anything. The DS never really grew on me and I sold it a year later. I liked the 3ds a good amount better and overall have had a lot of fun with it but the last Nintendo handheld I loved is the GBA which I still play.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox One. By a grossly-large margin.

I'd say the runner-up was the Playstation 3 unveil, perhaps not at the unveil itself but it was riddled with problems ranging from fake demos, the gross price, the exciting but technically challenging development.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I liked virtual boy. I knew it would fail but i liked it.

Oh right! My first impression of the Sega Genesis was those Nintendon't commercials. I was very young, and I was offended by this. :< I was like, who the fuck are these guys? Fuck these jackholes and the horse they rode in on. Yes of course this was my actual internal monologue when I was 8.

God damn I'm still thinking about that 3DO, though. I wish I had kept my old magazine collection. You wouldn't believe the way this thing was getting talked up in american magazines. That's what made it such a horrible first impression. I thought that motherfucker would be able to do anything. I was literally expecting better than arcade graphics.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
XBox 360. It took me two hours to get all the account stuff sorted out to make the system work.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Battle Arena Toshinden on PAL Playstation 1 after playing Tekken...
From 50fps to 25fps. I didn't even know what framerate was back then, I genuinely thought the console was broken. :s

My first hour with PS3 was no fun either. I had a 360 before that and was still using an SDTV since the 360 had that fanzy built-in scaler. I have no idea if it was game specific or not but it turned out that Ridge Racer 7 stuttered like crazy on my PAL SDTV, it was like they just smashed the 60hz video to the 50hz PAL input on the TV untouched, couldn't believe what I was seeing, framepacing issues from hell. I literally rushed into an electronics store an hour after starting the console and bought my first HDTV.