• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
First thing I thought of was True Detective, if that counts. If not, then Stranger Things.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The Americans isn't MIND BLOWING (unless you especially enjoy slow burn espionage shows)but very, very good. Plus, unlike some of these other shows, it only gets better as it goes along, pays off in the end and doesn't F its audience over.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Invasion was a really good begin, but it got the axe really quick.

Sleepy Hollow as well, very strong first season and it kept being great but also got canceled 4 seasons in, fantastic cast too and one my favorite intro sequences.

Oct 27, 2017
Homeland
I was HOOKED on the first season. I don't know when I ended up dropping the show (whatever season a certain character dies in), but it was probably some of the most compelling TV I'd seen in a while

Oct 25, 2017

Sleepy Hollow as well, very strong first season and it kept being great but also got canceled 4 seasons in, fantastic cast too and one my favorite intro sequences.

Personally Sleepy Hollow had an incredible first season and it was downhill from there.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Andy Whitfield
SPARTACUSBLOODANDSANDY2010S01E001-474x677-PST.jpg

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

Going to agree and disagree with you. The first season was amazing. Every season after? Not so much.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Flash's first season was easily some of the best superhero stories on tv, then it all went to shit. It's nigh unwatchable now.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
No great Season 1 will save a series if the rest was bad. I#d rather have a bad or mediocre first season and the rest and most importantly the conclusion be good than a masterpiece first season and rest is shit.

even a mediocre Series with a satisfying ending is better than a stellar first season and shit ending.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Peaks definitely. The whole first season is almost perfect. S2 has its moments but is garbage for the majority and S3 is...it's own thing.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The Twilight Zone. The first season had some of the best episodes in the series.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Going to agree and disagree with you. The first season was amazing. Every season after? Not so much.

It wasn't amazing TV or anything but it kept me interested for quite a while, even now it got a bit too weird at the end with Parish. The world building and lore was cool though.

The Flash's first season was easily some of the best superhero stories on tv, then it all went to shit. It's nigh unwatchable now.

I bounced during the Thinker, couldn't watch it anymore, the writing and the relationship drama made it unbearable.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn 99 had me hooked in season 1
Bojack Horseman sold me on the whole thing in season 1
Archer's season 1 was also amazing.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'll throw in Westworld, though I know some people will disagree. It was a nicely dense, mysterious, and satisfying first season. Although I still liked the 2nd season, it lacked something comparatively.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
People have already mentioned Spartacus, Friday Night Lights, and Battlestar Galactica, so I'm just going to put it out there that I think the first season of Game of Thrones was brilliant. An impeccable cast, a kind of low fantasy that hadn't really been done on TV before, an excellent plotline and much more. Plus Mark Addy.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Comedy Central's Review. The gradual escalation to Pancakes Divorce Pancakes is some of the greatest TV i've ever seen

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Spartacus: Blood and Sand

After a shaky first few episodes, the gladiatorial school of Batiatus, ruthless and charismatic gladiator trader and social climber, becomes the stage of a spectacular drama. The scheming cast live in a heightened world of clashing ambitions, covert betrayals, and tangy intrigue where fortunes can rise or fall in a snap.

This series is bold and profane, never shy about sex or violence, never leery of showing what it means to be a slave in the Roman Republic. Yet all of Spartacus's bloody sexy flash is layered over a rock solid foundation of great storytelling. The sharp writing and powerhouse central performances hold the whole thing together.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand has the wit and watchability of early Game of Thrones, and the same capacity to shock and entertain. It's top tier TV if you can overlook its brief growing pains.

Last edited: