• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will be the biggest Box Office, globally, hit of 2019 ?

• Avengers Endgame

Votes: 197 73.0%
  • Star Wars Episode 9

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • Frozen 2

Votes: 28 10.4%
  • The Lion King

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Toy Story 4

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I agree for Endgame and Episode 9. I could see those numbers.

Frozen will do more than 1.3 billion imo. I see minimum 500 M the US and 1 billion globally.

Lion King could do a billion outside the US alone as well. So 1.1 billion globally is far too low. The movie will do better than Beauty and the Beast my a wide margin.

Pikachu 1 Billion ? With the griwtg of the chinese market and the strenght of Pokemon as a brand, I won't say it's not possible. But 1 billion for a new movie franchise is quite a challenge.
Oh wow lol, you right. Beauty and the Beast made $1.2b. So Lion King will clearly make more than that. I can also see Frozen 2 hit between $1.3-1.5b. Pikachu can go either way. A realistic guess would be $750-800m I would say but I'm counting on people's thirst for live action Pokemon and with the reception so far, I feel optimistic about it.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars just slightly ahead of Avengers, or maybe the other way around. Both will make mega bucks

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
1 Endgame
2 Frozen 2
3 Ep 9

Endgame has a huge chunk of time with little competition whereas you've got Frozen , ep9 and Jumanji 3 all release within about a month.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars just slightly ahead of Avengers, or maybe the other way around. Both will make mega bucks
Star Wars lost China. There's no way IX will compare to the megabucks Endgame will make WW (although it will still do very well for itself).

Endgame and The Lion King seem like the most likely candidates to break 2b WW.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think Infinity War was well received enough and the appetite for Marvel is still strong enough that Endgame should be able to do similar numbers even if it's only a year on so for anything to beat it is going to need 2 billion. TFA managed that so EP9 should have a shot but it won't quite have the same hype as TFA. The Lion King and Frozen are outside bets, I think both could do 1.5b.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Star Wars lost China. There's no way IX will compare to the megabucks Endgame will make WW (although it will still do very well for itself).

Endgame and The Lion King seem like the most likely candidates to break 2b WW.

2 Billion is another ball game... I see 1.8 Billion max IMO for the winner. I mean 2 Billion is what Force Awakens and Infinity War did. But for some reasons I don't think Endgame will be bigger than Infinity War. The hype level doesn't seem as big ( maybe I'm wrong ) and the 3 hour length of the movie gives me cause to pause.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
All of them will do great, but I think The Lion King and Avengers: Endgame have the best chance to do great at the box office.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Worldwide:

1. Avengers End Game - 1.8 Billion
2. The Lion King - 1.7 Billion
3. Frozen 2 - 1.5 Billion

Star Wars 9 may miss top 5 worldwide tbh

Domestic

1. Star Wars 9 - 700 Million
2. Avengers End Game - 650 million
3. The Lion King -640 million

Star Wars is king domestic. JJ will bring this trilogy home. There has been a gap between star wars now.
It will be marketed as the end of the skywalker saga. Expect trailers to have Luke, obi wan , vader, yoda in them.
This will be huge. And in reality the next episodes may be another 5-6 years off now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Worldwide:

1. Avengers End Game - 1.8 Billion
2. The Lion King - 1.7 Billion
3. Frozen 2 - 1.5 Billion

Star Wars 9 may miss top 5 worldwide tbh

Domestic

1. Star Wars 9 - 700 Million
2. Avengers End Game - 650 million
3. The Lion King -640 million

Star Wars is king domestic. JJ will bring this trilogy home. There has been a gap between star wars now.
It will be marketed as the end of the skywalker saga. Expect trailers to have Luke, obi wan , vader, yoda in them.
This will be huge. And in reality the next episodes may be another 5-6 years off now.

I like your predictions. Number wise, that sounds about right.

For Star Wars trilogies. Usually the 1st movie is the most successful and the second the list popular ( box office wise ). So I could see Episode 9 doing better than the Last Jedi. In the US, 700 million is possible.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Avengers: Endgame.

But I think Detective Pikachu should have been an option. Pokémon is coming to conquer movies like they've conquered everything else. And there's no reason to think they won't be able to do it.