Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
The views that we hold today have progressed from that which humans held in the past. Sometimes I worry that we may be overlooking important matters of mortality that humans in the future will look back at as flaws in our moral lives.

Any idea what they may be?

I think employment will be one of them. It will be seen as a kind of slavery.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably genetic editing and gene therapy in general. I can see "progressive" arguments both for and against it. I think it will naturally be something that the upper class can afford first and there will be a push to lock certain subsets of the population from it. Kind of like an extension to our current healthcare system that systematically locks certain people out of using it.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
animal rights, for sure

casual indifference to industrial, unethical animal treatment today will not be seen kindly by future societies

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get ahead of yourself, we will have to relitigate the progressive issues of yesterday when the fascists take power everywhere and set us back ~200 years.

Civilization is not a linear progression of stuff getting better permanently, there are highly successful forces in play who are going to cause massive backslides.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
We're still fighting the same damn issues the Gracchi brothers were fighting in ancient rome so, probably still those

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The people over here vs. those people over there who aren't the people over here, and how the people over here have been screwing over the people over there because they're over there doing stuff that we don't do over here

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, I'm a conservative now.
You joke, but there's an emerging consensus that a portion of online anti-furry sentiment is a proxy for homophobia and transphobia. Some people just switch to that when it becomes broadly unacceptable to broadcast other types of bigotry because it gives them someone new to punch down at.

It's so hard to wrap my head around the idea that employment or any form of servitude will someday be a thing of the past.

Even in a far future where a lot of physical labor can be automated, most people will still wake up and go do stuff. The difference would be that you're doing it because you want to and you're passionate about it, you're not being exploited or unnecessarily endangered in the process, and your continued survival isn't predicated on the monetary value you produce for your boss.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Almost the same. Racism and xenophobia will still be big issues. Maybe throw in AI rights or something

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Forcing people with different mental issues such as aspergers to receive medical treatment to remove their condition regardless of if they want it or not.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
The meat industry for sure. Between being a contributor to the climate crisis and the slaughter of animals.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I really hate saying this, because I'm a vegetarian and I don't want to come across as a smug vegetarian, but I really do think the next generations will take animal rights on as a major issue. Our kids will probably be astonished at the way we allowed for the deaths of so many animals in such cruel ways.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree with gene therapy.

Mental health will be another big one, I feel. I think we broadly recognize that more should be done about it, but it's not really at the forefront in ways that other social issues are.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It'll be androids and robots.

Except in real life we will come to the conclusion that they are just robots and imitations of intelligence, not actual intelligence, and so get no rights.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
How we handle automatization.
That one won't be a hot button political issue that people debate and campaign on, it will just be corporations unilaterally firing everyone and replacing them with AI/robots, then the government using drones to do violence on the millions of angry unemployed people. It will be an extremely one sided aspect of the descent into global fascism.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think we need to also think about the oncoming major powers of the world. What about human rights in China, for example? That will have only growing significance & influence.

When America stops being a super power, and China becomes one, progressiveness will take a whole different form.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meat industry.

Stopping factory farming, specifically. Makes me sick. Shouldn't exist in this modern world.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
That one won't be a hot button political issue that people debate and campaign on, it will just be corporations unilaterally firing everyone and replacing them with AI/robots, then the government using drones to do violence on the millions of angry unemployed people. It will be an extremely one sided aspect of the descent into global fascism.

I hope you are wrong and we embrace things like UBI and the like, but my gut tells me things will be real ugly.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you are wrong and we embrace things like UBI and the like, but my gut tells me things will be real ugly.
Many have speculated that UBI is one of the only ways to prevent an uprising in that scenario, which gets us to cozy fascism where people are safe and happy and cared for at home, but their lifestyles are enabled by exploiting labor and dropping bombs on the other side of the planet.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well if we're talking 2077 certainly trans people.
200.gif

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Discrimination based on cognitive ability. In our current society, if you have a specific cognitive ability Standard score less than 100 it's almost guaranteed that you will have extreme difficulty achieving any sort of middle class living style. In fact, society will look down on you and blame you for "life choices" and "not working hard enough." In contrast, those with exceptional cognitive abilities are rewarded and described as "hard working" and successful when they are able to tackle difficult tasks with ease by the sheer luck of cognitive development. No idea how to resolve this problem, though.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Discrimination based on cognitive ability. In our current society, if you have a specific cognitive ability Standard score less than 100 it's almost guaranteed that you will have extreme difficulty achieving any sort of middle class living style. In fact, society will look down on you and blame you for "life choices" and "not working hard enough." In contrast, those with exceptional cognitive abilities are rewarded and described as "hard working" and successful when they are able to tackle difficult tasks with ease by the sheer luck of cognitive development. No idea how to resolve this problem, though.

Cyberbrains

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Also, how will we approach the issue of more extreme mental health disorders or extreme sexual deviancy, like say psychopaths/sociopaths, pedophiles, etc. Do we just accept that some people are born irredeemable?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
  • Vegetarianism/veganism.
  • Putting limits on mass/personal consumption.
  • How to deal with the mass migration of billions of people.
  • Gene splicing and designer babies.
  • Privacy issues in an age when most people's entire lives are documented on the internet and social media.
  • Dealing with automation and the loss of billions of jobs. Debates about the merit of work and UBI.
  • The acceptance of otherkin, furries and other more niche sexual identities.
  • What to do with conservative/religious people, whose beliefs are getting ever more out of whack from general society as time moves on.
  • Nuclear power and its place in a world without fossil fuels.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Climate refugees/water accessibility

What's going to happen in the next couple decades will make all of the immigration and anti-immigrant sentiment we've seen in the late 20th century look like a drop in the bucket. People often forget or ignore that climate change is a significant factor in people leaving Syria, which means it's really just a preview for what we're going to see in the coming years as global warming accelerates.

Abolishing the state.

This is the big one we need to accomplish to avoid a lot of the other hellish stuff in this thread, or at least the worst versions of it. Capitalism and the state have to go.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The same issues as today because sociopaths (republicans) keep holding us back. If every one of them dropped dead tomorrow the country would benefit.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Don't get ahead of yourself, we will have to relitigate the progressive issues of yesterday when the fascists take power everywhere and set us back ~200 years.

Civilization is not a linear progression of stuff getting better permanently, there are highly successful forces in play who are going to cause massive backslides.

This