• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
There was a discussion in the Luigi's Mansion thread on if Nintendo should focus on making games for the "New" hardware line of 3DS (N3DS, N3DSXL and New 2DS XL) and if they should retire the old 2DS that is still being sold and replace it with a "New" model. Here's a thread to talk about that and also more generally about 3DS in 2019.

Your premise is a scenario they're not looking for. Why kill off the majority of your install base and an incredible value entry level model.

The premise here being that Nintendo should release a "New 2DS" to replace the original model 2DS still on store shelves. That way they could finalize the transition to "New" hardware models and concentrate making games on the "New" hardware since a lot of people already have "New" systems.

Here are the 2019 games that have been announced so far:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Yo-Kai Watch 3
Shovel Knight: King of Cards
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn

And pending what should be a likely announcement:

Persona Q2

None are "New" hardware exclusive, not even Kirby in spite of some initial confusion. Is this the way it's going to be, or is Nintendo ever going to release more games like Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 3D that can only be played on the "New" hardware?

What do you think? How will 2019 shape up for 3DS? Should Nintendo release another hardware iteration and what would you like to see?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
EO Nexus is going to happily round off a decade of playing dual-screen EO games for me.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much reason to make New exclusive games. The reason why they're still releasing 3DS games in the first place is to take advantage of the huge installed base.

I expect even less games than we got this year. 3DS software sales have really taken a hit.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect two or three ports/remasters that work on all models. I also expect 2019 to be the final year Nintendo supports the product line with new software. In fact, I don't think Nintendo will publish any new 3DS software beyond the first half of the year.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
"sleep well, sweet prince"

People just do not Care about 3ds now, Except maybe for a cheap gift for a kid.
They should enlarge the "nintendo selects" library and let the last models disappear from the shelves. 3ds time is over, and they don't have to give it a straight successor.

Now they'll have the switch line, mobile and multiple other revenue sources such as licensing or theme parks.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Next year, many of the biggest 3DS franchises will be arriving on Switch. Ace Attorney, SMT, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, an actual new generation of Pokémon, and even Luigi's Mansion (which sold best on 3DS by a notable margin iirc). There's also a WSJ report that Nintendo plans on releasing a new version of the Switch next year.

That's it. That's all you need to know. I wouldn't be surprised if they slash the price of the base Switch model, allowing the revised model to take over the current price point. This way they can appeal to people that want something shiny and to people who want something cheaper, like the 3DS.

It's not impossible that they have plans for other new content for the 3DS that they haven't mentioned yet, but I wouldn't expect much.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
"New" hardware is out of the question. Any major new game has already been announced or will be a cult fave low budget third party Japanese title like the last few years of the Vita. I'm surprised they haven't pulled the plug already.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see much reason to do anything for 3DS in what will most likely be the last year Nintendo publish any software for it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say no to more GameCube remasters. We're not getting GC virtual console for Switch, maybe 3DS is the right place for them. I want Starfox Adventures and F-Zero gx please.

Oh and another Fire Emblem Echoes. Looks like Switch FE hand is far from traditional, 3DS can get some classic gameplay.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
If they want the 3ds to sell better they need big enough games.
The focus is on the Switch right now, it seems.

So the questions are : should they lower their attention on the Switch for the 3ds ?

And : Are they secretly developing bigger games for the 3ds we know nothing about ?

Zippro

May 20, 2018
People really want the 3DS to die now and have Nintendo focus on Switch. So what Nintendo's clearly going to do is announce the HDS with VR functionality.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
3DS barely exists at all as 3DS anymore. All you see in ads and Directs is the 2DS XL now. I don't remember if production of the 3D-enabled models is still ongoing.

Production of new games for the machine has likely stopped for most developers. Nintendo may still have ports in mind, but they know people are groaning any time a game, even a port, is announced for 3DS only. Also, they've likely gone dry of quick 'n easy compilations like Mario Party and Wario Ware, so any new 3DS game would likely require actual time and resources that they may finally not be willing to invest in a dying platform anymore.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few games only as it's basically going to end support. There's no new DS and I don't even understand how peope still say this. Switch is the new portable, that's it.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Hopefully more Nintendo Selects, reduce prices on the store and maybe at least 1 exclusive first party title to send of the system, maybe a Zelda or metriod game.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I think Nintendo is done with 3ds. the new switch revision will likely help in reducing costs, not a pro model like some hope, and then Nintendo price the switch more affordably to get that 3ds market.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Less than this year. 2018 already showed that their support is going down and 2019 will be even less. They probably will announce some things reusing assets or making demakes but that's it, just few titles.

And the same is true for third party companies.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please Nintendo

Kill it with fire

No more new games, no more talk about it. Let it ride out on existing games

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully more of this reactions

ekjpq9ykasg7.gif

Overmind NL

Sep 20, 2018
Still play my 3DS way more than my Switch due to lack of decent rpg's on the system. All in on EO: Nexus and I hope Q2 gets a western release.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't expect a lot from nintendo for 3DS in 2019. i think they'll still keep it on the shelves, the price point is good and there's a big selection of games to play for new owners. they literally just put out a mario kart 7 bundle, i don't think no new software means it'll completely stop selling.

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
There's not much reason to make New exclusive games. The reason why they're still releasing 3DS games in the first place is to take advantage of the huge installed base.

Their hardware shipments for the "New" line are somewhere north of 17 million as of June 30. Sure that's not the 73 million for the whole hardware family, but it also doesn't include systems that were sold over 4 years ago or longer. All the "New" hardware sales start in 2014 for Japan and 2015 outside Japan, and for New 2DS XL they start in 2017, within the span of 16 months from now. That means that the "New" install base is more likely to be active than the whole install base.

Also, they've likely gone dry of quick 'n easy compilations like Mario Party and Wario Ware

Wario Ware Gold really shouldn't be called a compilation, it's so much more. And even Mario Party Top 100 is its own thing.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I would love if Nintendo went out of their way and localised many of the decent amount of JP only games that never came out in the West. Things like beyond the labyrinth, the digimon games, the dragon ball one, monster strike, the other two little battlers, etrian mystery dungeon 2 etc.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It is going to continue with the same slow drip-feed of ports it's been on since the Switch released. Nintendo has made it clear they don't want to retire the 3DS yet because the Switch isn't yet serving the exact same market - i.e., it's more expensive, and has an adoption rate that's closer to 1 per household rather than 1 per person. A cheaper "Switch Lite" may go a ways towards solving both those problems. But for 2019, I'd expect more of the same.

The only question is, what ports do they have left that they'd want to put on the thing? Are they gonna have Alphadream circle back and do Partners in Time 3D? Lol.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is keeping 3DS in a zombie-like state because it can cater to price sensitive customers something that is out of reach for Switch, which in turn later on can help convert these customers to the Nintendo ecosystem for newer consoles.
3DS software sales have already taken a hit beginning from 2017, now the main software that sell is Pokemon and Nintendo budget evergreen games.
The "new" games Nintendo planned to release are all cheap to produce and are basically sent to die.
I don't expect Nintendo to announce new 3DS games for 2020.

Oct 29, 2017
Probably just some more easy Wii and DS ports. Punchout Wii would be a good choice...

At a stretch, MAYBE a small chance of a Kirby & The Rainbow Curse port.

Probably a price drop as well and an extension to the Nintendo Selects range.

You won't see any new original releases from here on out. It's being kept alive so that they have a budget offering while the Switch is still so expensive.

(Praying for a Switch revision with 3DS BC support!)

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I have not touched my 3DS for over 5 months now, it would benefit them to port 3DS games to Switch and forget the eyesore ever existed in physical form

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. If Nintendo even says the name 3DS, this is how some of you react.

Thousand Year Door port leh go!
Not ruling out some late unannounced ports we don't know about coming late 2019 but nothing will be greenlit since half a year ago or so.

I'm personally not salty, these games are outsourced and all ports of games I've played and even if I'd liked them to put in more effort and put some on Switch too I can understand that they don't.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they keep putting stuff out on it. It's cheap hardware and affordable games.

Not everyone can afford to buy a new $300 toy so I'm happy they have new experiences to enjoy

Buttttt most folks will just view this as things they don't get cuz they don't get to play it on the switch instead of using hardware they most likely have