• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you move to Europe/Canada if you were an American?

• I am done with mass shootings, they think their toys are more important than our lives

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • The lack of tolerance,e.g cops shooting folks and saying they feared for their lives

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • The awful healthcare system

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • The bad education system

• You shouldn't have to get indebted to study

• Al lthe reasons mentioned above, and possibly more

Votes: 120 55.0%
  • I would have no reasons to leave USA

Votes: 73 33.5%

• Total voters

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
If you live/lived in the USA, what would be the most important reason for you to quit USA? There are so many problems with USA that you become aware of when you read ERA, that I feel many people would move to Europe or Canada if they were given the same pay or better.

I think I would probably pick all the reasons mentioned in the poll, because each reason feels unacceptable for me as a European,, so if I had to deal with all the issues n USA, I would quickly be upset.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You forgot the kleptomaniac president.

And when it's all laid out in the table, sounds like a third world country

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm staying and doing my best to help build resilient communities to withstand climate change, fascism, and capitalism.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would leave simply if I was offered a job with a more pay and relocation. Not Canada though

If I had to pick one though, it would probably be the healthcare system

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
As a European immigrant to the U.S., the number-one thing is a health crisis. The provision of healthcare is just garbage here, and if I or my wife had any sort of serious long-term illness, I'd move home rather than be bankrupted so a handful of CEOs can buy a second yacht.

Also, if the U.S. doesn't take significant steps to remedy political corruption, I could see it sliding into even more of plutocracy than it currently is, at which point I would probably peace.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I'm staying and doing my best to help build resilient communities to withstand climate change, fascism, and capitalism.
This... the hell's the point of leaving when you can still make a difference?
The USA's my home and I'm not just going to crawl away because things have gotten hard, even if I could suddenly somehow afford to.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of the above. I think emotionally many of us have already quit the United States but due to varying reasons we can't leave/don't intend to leave.

For me I would rather fight to bring change to this country rather than abandon it to racist, greedy, misogynistic, xenophobic assholes.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not everybody has the means or ability to move out the country. And you have to consider leaving friends and family behind. You can't just tick a bunch of boxes and say "okay, I'm moving".

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
If i'm so lucky enough to have a chance to retire i'll likely move to another country due to the insane cost of healthcare here.

edit: dammit. didn't see the "all the reasons" above option!

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
If I won a bunch of lottery money I'd consider moving elsewhere, otherwise I'm just here

Deleted member 22587

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Providence, RI
For me I would rather fight to bring change to this country rather than abandon it to racist, greedy, misogynistic, xenophobic assholes.

My thoughts exactly. If I were to just up and leave towards a new location that slowly starts spiraling out of control, what am I going to do then? Leave again? That's a bad precedent to set and I feel it's best to try to change whatever you deem as your "home" for the better. (Of course, one can also make an argument that it's an arrogant mindset to have to think your beliefs would make your country better.)

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not leaving. I'm doing what I can to fix what's broken, not watching the country fall apart from afar.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
America is only a first world country for its citizens if you are upper middle class and above. Anyone not making a lot of money is really living in a different world than what you see as a tourist, on a business trip, as an international student or on tv shows/movies.

Being poor in America really really sucks.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This... the hell's the point of leaving when you can still make a difference?
The USA's my home and I'm not just going to crawl away because things have gotten hard, even if I could suddenly somehow afford to.
There's literally no one better suited to fix things than those of us who live here. It's up to us.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If I had a no-strings attached ability to move away from the US, I would in a heartbeat. I owe nothing to a country that is not shy of letting me know it despises me. Alas, I'm stuck here, so I make do with what I got and try my best within my limited means to make it slightly less of a shithole.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm never leaving. I'm not going to give this country to racists and fascists. I'm not screw over the millions who don't have the capability or ability to get out of here

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I answered all of the above but have no intention of leaving.

Firstly it's my responsibility to do what I can to fix these issues not flee them and abandon the less mobile to their fate.

Secondly I'm an immigrant and a naturalized citizen and I worked hard to get where I am literally, geographically and metaphorically.

Thirdly my new family is here and I have only a few surviving relatives back in the old country.

Fourthly the old country is currently almost as big a basket case as the new one. Brexit!

Fifthly I am from Scotland which theoretically could completely divorce itself from the UK and become a small nation state in Europe like Iceland or Finland with an economy based on international banking, energy, tourism and entrepreneurism thanks to a well educated workforce, strong institutions and world class cities

It could also fail spectacularly but I am optimistic it could be rejuvenated as a potential destination for me in a way the UK currently isn't. Which is a shame because I absolutely adored living and working in Bath right after college and would love to consider it as a retirement spot or a place for my daughter to consider for university (after Edinburgh).

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I love my hometown NYC honestly it would have to be a huge amount of money offered from a specific company for me to consider. Outside of rent I have no complaints.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
If I could move out, I would.

However, that would make it even harder for me to spend time with my son (who lives in a different state then me), so I won't.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America is only a first world country for its citizens if you are upper middle class and above. Anyone not making a lot of money is really living in a different world than what you see as a tourist, on a business trip, as an international student or on tv shows/movies.

Being poor in America really really sucks.
I'm middle class. It ain't that bad imo

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
the real answer is that there is no "quitting", even if you were to go hide somewhere and try to bury your head in the sand the aftershocks of what happens in the states and elsewhere are going to hit you one way or the other.

we're all connected at this point like it or not, whether or not humanity can eek out a semblance of a decent future is going to rely on all of us doing our part.

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I gave up on this country when I was 10. I'm not in the business of running away though so I'll tough it until my last breath. Plus doesn't help that I live in poverty and only recently became of age so it's not like I could go anywhere anyway.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Until the job market grows so bad I have to move else I can't live comfortably, I'm sticking around here.

Besides that, I guess if all my friends moved all throughout the world and my family as well was nowhere nearby. Wouldn't mind moving elsewhere for a fresh start.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. For one, it's not that easy to just leave the country and live somewhere else. That's expensive and involves uprooting your life and entire support system. And where are you going to go? Other English speaking countries have similar problems (Britain, Australia). New Zealand and Canada are significantly better but not without their problems. There is demand for foreign English teachers in Asian countries but then there are the language and cultural barriers to contend with.

2. Running away doesn't help solve the problems of the US. Unlike the countries where many refugees are fleeing from, the systems in place in the US are still relatively functional and can be changed. Societal change is possible, even if it's just at the local community level.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
Already did. As soon as I save up though I'm bailing. Let this country fester in its own hatred.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We have so many problems here. But I will not leave. I like being able to change things from within.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
The system, for all it's faults, has worked for me and my family. If you have money the USA is a great place to live, and you can pretty much insulate yourself from all the problems.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I would have nothing if I left.

The EU and Canada still have most of those problems. Only healthcare and mass shootings are better.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm leaving sometime between January and March but not because I'm giving up. I wouldn't give up on this place even though it's pretty trash atm

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not leaving. I don't think the grass is greener else where. I think places have problems (note that doesn't excuse ours). I feel like I can do more good staying than running away.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
My daughter wants to move to Canada. If she really did, I would probably try to follow her. But I'm not leaving the country because of societal issues. I'd rather fight for it.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
not forever. the system as it is now is not sustainable and will collapse.

Depends what your definition is of "collapse". Each generation has had its challenges, it's ups and downs. The present is always a crisis if you are too plugged into the news and politics. It's always been this way. America's problems can be solved, we're on the brink of universal healthcare and college system reforms in the next 4-8 years which will help a lot. Technology is still increasing at an exponential rate. The grid is increasingly turning towards renewables at a faster pace than anyone predicted. We are not on the precipice of any civilizational collapses.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Depends what your definition is of "collapse". Each generation has had its challenges, it's ups and downs. The present is always a crisis if you are too plugged into the news and politics. It's always been this way. America's problems can be solved, we're on the brink of universal healthcare and college system reforms in the next 4-8 years which will help a lot. Technology is still increasing at an exponential rate. The grid is increasingly turning towards renewables at a faster pace than anyone predicted. We are not on the precipice of any civilizational collapses.
what i mean is our economic system based on the infinite growth of businesses. i do not mean the fall of the roman empire plunging europe into the dark ages.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
none of the above

i'd leave if it was feasible to, but that's because I'm interested in traveling and living abroad more than 'escaping' the USA for any of these issues

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see it as my responsibility as one of the good ones to help make things better instead of running. That being said, if myself or a loved one needed medical attention, and I couldn't afford it, and moving for free health care was the only option, I would have to do that.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm middle class. It ain't that bad imo
Were you always middle class? I'm doing fine currently as "middle class" (whatever that means), but I spent years catching up. Poverty in childhood has long term consequences, many of which are psychological and are hard to unlearn. I graduated college and had to spend most of my money the first few years playing catch up on my lifetime of neglect with regards to health, savings and countless other things. Trust me, poverty is a trap that will break people. If anyone asked me if I could reperform the grind I endured to get to where I am now, "fuck no" is my response. Looking back I actually don't know how I did it in the first place, I pretty much lived like a dog for six years.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for all of the above, but I don't see myself moving. The only places outside the US that I'd like to live in is Vancouver, Toronto, and maybe London.

Even in the worse conditions that you listed and growing up in a family that barely made ends meet, Ive gotten lucky enough as a child of immigrants to finish school and have a great job. I'd rather stay here in the US and try to make a difference so that others can here can make the leap from poverty than run off and leave.