• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your ideal Newcomer-to-Full Roster percentage for Street Fighter VI?

• 0%

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 1-10%

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 46 23.4%
  • 30+%

Votes: 85 43.1%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street-Fighter-5-Leak.jpg
As of Kage, Street Fighter V has 23 veterans & 12 newcomers, with the latter making up 34.286% of the existing roster. With SFV seemingly winding down & SFVI probably on the horizon (especially with the next-gen consoles coming up), what newcomer percentage/ratio would you want SFVI to maintain? Should they keep newbies to a minimum to make room for more veterans, or do you want more newcomers to join the fight?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
More newcomers than the previous game is always the answer.

But that's not going to happen. The next game is going to appeal heavily to SF3 and 4 nostalgia, just like 5 did and is still doing to 2 and Alpha. I'm expecting slightly less newcomers than whatever 5 ends up with.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Personally I would love a Third Strike scenario where it is a couple of mainstays and a bunch of weird newcomers but I understand that won't do very well in a climate already not really suited for fighting games. I'd say around 40% is my sweetspot, bring back some favorites but spice it up and make it exciting too. I think V actually did some really good work in terms of newcomers, I think all of them (with the exception of Abigail) are really cool looking and have fun playstyles.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't really liked any of the newcomers in either 4 or 5, so I don't trust modern Capcom to pull another SF3 scenario. But hey if they could finally design some good characters again I'd be more than down.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
50-50

But also Everyone Is Here. Get ready to learn 120 matchups just to be tourney viable, y'all.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
30% would be fine. I like SFV's ratio of newcomers to veterans.

More newcomers than the previous game is always the answer.

But that's not going to happen. The next game is going to appeal heavily to SF3 and 4 nostalgia, just like 5 did and is still doing to 2 and Alpha. I'm expecting slightly less newcomers than whatever 5 ends up with.

How exactly can there be SF4 nostalgia (in terms of character additions)

SF4 was already SF2 and Alpha nostalgia (with a lil bit of SF3 nostalgia come Super/Ultra)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
30% would be fine. I like SFV's ratio of newcomers to veterans.

How exactly can there be SF4 nostalgia (in terms of character additions)

SF4 was already SF2 and Alpha nostalgia (with a lil bit of SF3 nostalgia come Super/Ultra)
The characters introduced in 4...There's only 1 in 5.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I think this is one of the more interesting questions to be honest, especially when it comes to a long running popular franchise such as this. Certain characters are expected such as Ryu and Chun-Li for instance. A large number of veterans might also not have been given as much time as they could so some characters might come back as a veteran but is still an infrequent appearance. New characters that get introduced are always somewhat exciting, more so if we find them interesting. There will always be that feeling inside us where we want to see our favourites and mains make a return.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10% or less.

When a game series has been around for a long time, just a few new characters per game is sufficient as the series already has a ton of great fighters that don't make it into each game. Plenty of awesome characters aren't in V, so I'd rather see friendly faces return than new ones. There's also the fact that most new characters are duds. Just bring the best to the table for new characters and refresh the roster with older characters.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Gimme a third strike revamp that i know theyre not doing any time in the forseeable future, Just don't pull a DOA 6 with only 2 new characters. SCVI also but after the backlash from SCV it makes sense they doubled down on returning characters.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about this for a while, and what I want to see for SF6 vanilla is a mid-high 20s roster with about 10-12 newcomers. I like having a decent number of new characters because it feels like you're getting an actual sequel.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really liked any of the newcomers in either 4 or 5, so I don't trust modern Capcom to pull another SF3 scenario. But hey if they could finally design some good characters again I'd be more than down.
Whoever is in charge of the new characters in 5 is inordinately talented compared to the 4 team. They've already made several classics in my eyes.

Last edited:

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I think I would like to see 50/50

20 returning:
R. Mika, Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, Guile, Sagat, M.Bison, Vega, Cammy, Cody, Sakura, Karin, Birdie, Balrog, Dhalsim, Akuma, Ibuki, Dudley, Rose, and Guy.

20 Newcomers/Guest Characters:
Tiffany (Project Justice), Akira (Project Justice), Hinata (Project Justice), Daigo (Project Justice), Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), etc.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think I would like to see 50/50

20 returning:
R. Mika, Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, Guile, Sagat, M.Bison, Vega, Cammy, Cody, Sakura, Karin, Birdie, Balrog, Dhalsim, Akuma, Ibuki, Dudley, Rose, and Guy.

20 Newcomers/Guest Characters:
Tiffany (Project Justice), Akira (Project Justice), Hinata (Project Justice), Daigo (Project Justice), Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), etc.
40 characters for the base roster (with guest characters like PW at that) would be a bit crazy. That plus I can't see the likes of Rashid & Menat missing the boat after how well-received they were in SFV.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I would be all for another SF3 situation even though it wouldn't be a smart move by any means. I'd take a majority cast of newcomers if they were well designed and likable. I don't need the same stale bread SF2 cast rehashed to have it be a Street Fighter game.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
80% of the characters from the previous games+20% new characters seems like a healthy mix for such an old established roster. But then again that only works if the initial roster is big enough. That's my biggest worry - shrinking base rosters.

Having LESS characters in the base game than the previous entry in the series is such a hype deflater.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
80% of the characters from the previous games+20% new characters seems like a healthy mix for such an old established roster. But then again that only works if the initial roster is big enough. That's my biggest worry - shrinking base rosters.

Having LESS characters in the base game than the previous entry in the series is such a hype deflater.
Less than the base game of the previous entry, I assume.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Ideal would be 50% newcomers, but I will settle for 33%. More new faces make the game feel fresher.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Street Fighter just has so many must-haves, it's hard to go with more than 20% newcomers I think

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
A third new characters tends to be the sweet spot for new Capcom games. I could deal with 20% though.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
5 doesn't have a good track record when it comes to newcomers, sadly. I'd keep it at 20%.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked most of the newcomers in SF5 so I say do more In the next game.

Menat, G, Rashid are some of the coolest characters in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
They should go heavy on the newcomers for the base roster, around 40-50%, then drop the ratio down to 25-33% for DLC. That's assuming they follow previous SF convention and scrap mostly everything and build from scratch.

On top of that though, redesign most, if not all, of the returning characters to show some progression of their characters.

Hot Ryu should have been default Ryu

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Make it half and half, at least in the first round / base game. Then maybe add more returning characters with the Turbo/Super/Arcade etc. editions. That way you get lots of new characters to try out in the beginning but returning characters also get their spot eventually.

Basically what Die Squirrel Die also said.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They should go heavy on the newcomers for the base roster, around 40-50%, then drop the ratio down to 25-33% for DLC. That's assuming they follow previous SF convention and scrap mostly everything and build from scratch.

On top of that though, redesign most, if not all, of the returning characters to show some progression of their characters.

Hot Ryu should have been default Ryu
I mean, most of SFV's veterans were already redesigned. But yeah, Hot Ryu needs to be the default.....with the addition of some random strands of gray hair.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
A third newcomers with the extra criteria that most newcomers from 5 also return.
I'm playing a dangerous game but dammit, I find new concepts and characters exciting and a big draw for sequels.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
33% fundamental characters, 33% secondary veterans and 33% newcomers sound like good balance.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I'd definitely want more newcomers than veterans, as unlikely as that is. I'm pretty happy with the new characters introduced in SFV on the whole so if they can build on that I'll be very pleased.

I'm not the one they need to convince, though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
How can I phrase this delicately.

You can add as many new characters as you want as long as ed and neoshadowloo comes back. But Idealy, a buncha new folks would be interesting. Though given this is probs gonna be SF3 times, folks are gonna want their SF3 vets back

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I absolutely hate newcomers in all forms and don't want them polluting SF and taking up MEANINFUL roster spots.

So bring back Menat, G, C.Viper, Kolin and Abigail for SF6. Fuck newcomers tbh.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Why isn't Viper in SF5 yet

Honestly I want more Alpha characters than 2/3/4. I miss Adon (if any of you bums mention he's an SF1 character I stg)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I need the whole cast of champion edition at least though I would prefer everyone from super Street fighter 2

Then you could start adding those people I'll never use.

Otherwise I'm not buying. I learned my lesson with 5