• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Two good touchstones for modern day or 70s/80s set westerns would be:

No Country for Old Men

lead_720_405.jpg

Hell or High Water

Hell-Or-High-Water.jpg

Justified of course, but it's tonally a bit different from the above
075.jpg

BUT lets not get ahead of ourselves, because that could be GTAs territory.

They should continue with Jack 1910-1930 or until the child is old enough. Then continue with the child in it's 20s again (1930-end of WW2).
That could be 4 games, 2 with Jack and 2 with his child as the protagonist.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people asking for a sequel to RDR1 as Jack? Red Dead is a cowboy franchise. We don't need Mafia, and it certainly shouldn't be a part of the same franchise.

It should be set before RDR2 with a brand new cast of characters that, potentially, runs into Dutch's gang at some point in the story.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Controls that are not ass....

Is it too much to ask I'm this day and age?

Story wise? Ya, I'd like prohibition and maybe some early mobsters.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
075.jpg

BUT lets not get ahead of ourselves, because that could be GTAs territory.

They should continue with Jack 1910-1930 or until the child is old enough. Then continue with the child in it's 20s again (1930-end of WW2).
That could be 4 games, 2 with Jack and 2 with his child as the protagonist.

GTA is heavy on the satire and parody, I don't consider the Red Dead games to have such a focus, they're dramas and meditations on loss first and foremost.

Controls that are not ass....

Is it too much to ask I'm this day and age?

Story wise? Ya, I'd like prohibition and maybe some early mobsters.
I personally enjoy the weighty controls

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Doesn't a Rockstar Mafia game sound amazing? More interesting than another Wild West game that's for sure.
Why do people want Red Dead Redemption 3, a potential sequel in a franchise about cowboys and westerns, to be set during a time and in a setting without those things? Why not just wish for a new IP from R*.

Like, do people ever ask for a sci-fi GTA? No, because it wouldn't be GTA anymore. Red Dead isn't Mafia. It's a well defined franchise that has been around for well over a decade at this point.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Given that, based on Rockstar's history, it'll probably be a good 8-10 years before we see another Red Dead game it's a bit odd to see so many people hopping on the "bleh, TOO MUCH WESTERNS" train. It's one of the least explored genres in gaming, and by the time we see a sequel RDR2 will be a long distant memory.

I'd like to see the next game hop way far west and be set in the 20-40 years post-Gold Rush California period.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Why do people want Red Dead Redemption 3, a potential sequel in a franchise about cowboys and westerns, to be set during a time and in a setting without those things? Why not just wish for a new IP from R*.

Like, do people ever ask for a sci-fi GTA? No, because it wouldn't be GTA anymore. Red Dead isn't Mafia. It's a well defined franchise that has been around for well over a decade at this point.

It's progression. RDR1 is basically the turn of the century, the end of the Wild West era. The only way you're retaining that theme is a prequel or a fresh set of characters altogether.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a game with Jack that leads to him leading a dirty dozen style troop in world war 1, jack dies and you finish the game playing as the son dutch never knew he had.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would rather have a game that takes place around the time of the First Transcontinental Railroad (that would unite the eastern and western seaboards of the United States), which would focus on the lawless nature of the Wild West, financial corruption & scandal, attacks by hostile Indians (a la increasing conflict with the Great Basin, Great Plains, and other Western tribes), and construction of the railroad through the Sierra Nevada mountains.

That, or give the cast from Red Dead Revolver a proper send off during the hey-day of the Old West.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's progression. RDR1 is basically the turn of the century, the end of the Wild West era. The only way you're retaining that theme is a prequel or a fresh set of characters altogether.
Yeah sure, there's plenty of unexplored settings and potential characters/stories that would fit within the well ingrained and established ideas of what the franchise is. Like, there's a reason the second game wasn't a sequel to the first.

Having a Red Dead Redemption game set in an era without cowboys and whatever else is a staple for the franchise at this point would actually make less sense than having a Grand Theft Auto game set in that timeframe. Which itself doesn't make any sense.

Red Dead is about riding horses, shooting revolvers, and robbing trains. Map design wise, the franchise is much more focused on nature in contrast to GTA's focus on cities. I would love to see a game set before RDR2, during the peak of outlaws and the west. A game focused after RDR1, in what would most likely be a large city like New York or Chicago, simply wouldn't fit the franchise.

Last edited:

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
If they go for realism, do it all the way and don't turn missions into on-rails shooting galleries.

I'd prefer them to go more gamey though.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I have full confidence in whatever vision R will have for the game.

I do, however, like the idea of going back in time and adding new elements to the characters we already know while also introducing new characters. Maybe tell the early story of Dutch as he flees from his home and partners with O'Driscoll, but later start his own gang with Horsea. Or go back even more and have the Civil War in the background.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
RDR2 is one of the best videogames I have ever experienced. It is absolutely groundbreaking on so many fronts. So the fact that the controls are sub-standard in the most charitable of reviews is the biggest failing of the game for me. I didn't find them nearly as egregious as most, and I still can see significant room for improvement. If they can manage that, I will play whatever they give me. They could set it basically anywhere and I would give that team the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, I would love for a game (and the RDR series makes sense for this) to go back to the old West as presented in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly era; 1860s, during the Civil War, but in an area that isn't as enmeshed in it as the Eastern United States was. Sort of the tertiary battlefields of conflict where war was almost secondary to grifters looking to make some easy money amidst the chaos and confusion.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
don't care for rdr 3 but rockstar man make an open world horror game. The swamp area in red dead 2 is such an atmospheric highpoint in the game and is begging to be its own full game.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
Move the series to mid 1800's with better controls and better missions that don't all end in shootouts.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If we get a forth Red Dead, I'm only interested if the survival/simulation mechanics and cores are gone entirely. I'm not interested in playing a simulator by Rockstar, I'm there for the narrative and to cause chaos in a beautifully constructed open world between main missions, not to brush my dirty digital horse and grill deer to keep myself fed.
Playable female character, Switch version and decent controls
1*4b_sDashLCGqhpfGxIkQqA.jpeg

Three fantastic suggestions, all kryptonite to Rockstar.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Having a Red Dead Redemption game set in an era without cowboys and whatever else is a staple for the franchise at this point would actually make less sense than having a Grand Theft Auto game set in that timeframe. Which itself doesn't make any sense.

The Red Dead series barely has anything to do with cowboys

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I want a game set in 1860s or 1870s Mexico. New characters, new Mexico region (though if R* wants to use Nuevo Paraiso again then that'd be cool), better movement controls, the core system actually mattering, permanent bounties for major crimes like killing lawmen, etc.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Me personally? I'd prefer more fun to realism. I've yet to finish it , but I did enjoy the hours I put in, just not as much as I had hoped to.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Uh yes it has, you're playing as a cowboy in both.

Red Dead Revolver has you play as a rancher/cowgirl for like one level. RDR1 has John doing some cowboy stuff in the very beginning and that's it. RDR2 has one herding mission in Chapter 2 and Epilogue Part 1 is the only significant part of the series that has to do with cowboy stuff.

Ppl are wrongly conflating being a guy in 1800s West with being a cowboy on a ranch.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Also, no you are not playing as a cowboy in both RDR games lol. John is a farmer who becomes a bounty hunter/mercenary while Arthur is a robber.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
young dutch and hosea, recruting john and arthur. Thatd be my 1st choice.

If not, the events leading up to the blackwater massacre

A game with jack as a protagonist would be my last chioce, unless they completely change his personality

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
they need to give the series a long rest...RDR2 didn't seem to be as universally beloved as the first one and it didn't reach the creative highs of it either...maybe they've done all they could with this and need some time to think of some fresh ideas

RDR 2 sold 25 million copies, which is close to twice what RDR 1 sold over its lifetime.

Rockstar's 2nd best selling game after GTA 5 is GTA 4, which sold around 30 million to date.

RDR 2 is on track to be the 2nd most successful game for Rockstar ever.

RDR2 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I have full confidence in whatever vision R will have for the game.

I do, however, like the idea of going back in time and adding new elements to the characters we already know while also introducing new characters. Maybe tell the early story of Dutch as he flees from his home and partners with O'Driscoll, but later start his own gang with Horsea. Or go back even more and have the Civil War in the background.

I'd love if they just kept going back in time. We could finally also get to see the wild west in its prime too.
I also like the suggestion of a mafia centric Jack focused RDR 3. The first 2 Mafia games are fantastic and I trust rockstar could do even better. But I think I'd miss the western setting.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But that's just people being wrong tho

Yeah, but who cares. You understand what they mean. You're just being the guy in the conversation going "well ackchewually" but on the level where you bait people into your overly long explanation as to why they're misinformed, the worst kind of "well ackchewually". Trust me, I've seen it before, and it can earn you strange looks at best and be mildly annoying at worst.

What I would of done if I were someone like you would be, at the very least, say "well, you mean outlaw, but I see what you're saying. So anyway...". That way you're informing them but not disrupting the conversation where everyone is confused and giving each other looks and being annoyed. It eventually forces an insufferable jackass who notices these small stupid things, like myself, to point these things out because they have nothing better to do at the moment.

Ya know? Anyway yeah, I like the Mexico or Civil War idea.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but everybody knows what you mean when you say "cowboy", No they don't literally mean an actual cowboy who works on a ranch with cattle, but I understand they mean guy with a cowboy hat, rides a horse, wild west, yee-haw.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if a big hint to their job description wasn't in the name!

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Combat needs to fall in line. They went so hard for authenticity in all other areas but in combat you're still shrugging off dozens of gunshot wounds and sucking your thumb in cover or drinking some cough syrup to be fit as a whistle again, killing twice the population of Strawberry busting out Micah etc.

Revamp the whole Rockstar mission design structure. No more following the yellow dot (and fuckall else).