• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Randomly remembered the "Brony" thing and looked up the status of actual series, it's still ongoing. And yet the whole "Brony" subculture seems to have died off. I remember those who identified as "Bronies" insisted it wasn't just a meme or liking it "ironically", but if the series is still going why would interest in the series have dropped off so hard? At this point I guess it's more safe to say the whole "Brony" thing actually WAS a fad?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They still exist as far as I know as I work on and off with one guy who is hardcore into MLP.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
No, they're definitely still around. Falling off, but not a fad by any means.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
were getting another season, another theatrical movie, and a reboot of the show motherfuckers

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of these subcultures have kind of isolated themselves now since it's not so pervasive you don't hear about it. This year its R&M fans that got the spotlight in dumb ass fan communities. A year from now who knows what it will be, maybe Steven Universe's turn?

Oct 28, 2017
It's gone international. My gf's brother, a Japanese 20 year old, is a big fan and is part of the community in his country.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I had a guy in my college courses use a laptop that had MLP stickers all over it, they're still out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Randomly remembered the "Brony" thing and looked up the status of actual series, it's still ongoing. And yet the whole "Brony" subculture seems to have died off. I remember those who identified as "Bronies" insisted it wasn't just a meme or liking it "ironically", but if the series is still going why would interest in the series have dropped off so hard? At this point I guess it's more safe to say the whole "Brony" thing actually WAS a fad?

???

Bronies, uh. They're still a thing. We just stopped caring about it as a society because we decided that "well, a guy can like whatever he wants".

It was only controversial at the time because, at the time of Bronies propping up, a lot of people still held the firm believe that "guys should only like guy things" and "girls should only like girl things". But the dominant liberal opinion has shifted and changed since then. I don't think a "brony" incident will happen again.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the fandom is more active now than it has been for years. There's a constant flood of fan art. The thing that changed is that we don't go out of our way to bring it up.

And official content is zooming along too. In addition to the main show, there is an ongoing spinoff, Equestria Girls, which has movies and a YouTube series. The MLP comics are consistently among IDW's top 10 best sellers (and yes, plural). The toy line has expanded greatly, including figures produced specifically for adult collectors from Hasbro.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
They all finally figured out they're just closet furries and got absorbed into that fandom.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I can safely say there aren't any alt right people in the Hangouts thread or the PonyEra Discord.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of them stumbled into sex and then realized they needed to stop that shit if they wanted to do it again.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I can safely say there aren't any alt right people in the Hangouts thread or the PonyEra Discord.

As a former Brony, my experience is that the fandom is far permissive when it comes to the alt-right. Certainly compared to the Furry fandom which seems to be making an active effort to excise such individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.